What's new

B&B's I Cycle, You Cycle, Let's Exchange Stories (aka B.I.C.Y.C.L.E.S.)

Another from my fleet of winter commuters, or maybe the same one, who knows?

Roads are mostly clear, but this snowy bit is a nice spot to stop, shed a layer, and look at the water birds.

7ADCE546-4419-4AE3-BD61-E2B528290997.jpeg

Finished the weekend with 70 road bike miles Sunday. Flatted at 65. Nearly a century, including Santos, for a memorable weekend of riding.

A short 10 mile mixed surface ride this morning. Still waiting for the sun to break through.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B4DF93ED-713F-4DA0-82F1-6EBFFBCEAC52.png

At Caloosahatchee Regional Park in Alva, FL, around noon today, I passed a deer off the trail on the right, made a couple turns, and stopped in a wobbly skid just before reaching this guy. Wasn’t sure which foot to unclip. I held still, waiting for the rider I just passed to come around the corner, then I slowly backed away. As I did, the snake began to coil and rattle. He then proceeded across the trail into the dry grass. What a surprise! I have only seen a pygmy rattler before. This is the second largest snake, after an Eastern Indigo, that I have seen in the wild in FL since 1990. I wish I could upload the video. The rattle was as large as my middle finger.

Well, we got out with the intention of having a nice, leisurely ride and managed to find a new path I didn't know existed. Took us to a nice park we just peddled around a bit. A slow 15 miles on a lovely day. Glad to be back in the saddle after some time off and a few needed repairs.

911FDA49-8A1D-40B5-9EA1-317AABFCEDD3.jpeg

I cannot tell you how loud and how annoying a creaking sound this rusty main pivot bolt on my mountain bike made! All better now! Dare I say the bike shop couldn’t (or wouldn’t) solve it.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I had a magnificent mountain bike ride today at my favorite local trail (Meadowood Recreation Area, for you Northern Virginians). I encountered a lady and her two kids who had never been to the trail before. I was trying to explain to her how to go around the outer loop to get to the fun intermediate trails, called Yardsale and The Boss, and she asked if they could just follow me. So I had a good time taking them over hill and dale, through the woods and chatting with her son, who just wanted to jump off things. They loved Yardsale, had a rough time on the climb to The Boss, and a ball on the giant whoop-de-doos on The Boss. It felt good to help out a nice family. Plus, the ride kicked my butt, which is good because Old Man Winter has not been kind to my waist line.

Lovely 15 miles today. Still easing into the saddle. Looking forward to pushing it further and faster. Nothing really exciting to report, it just feels great to get back on the bike and peddle around.

17+ at Pepper Ranch Preserve in Immokalee, FL, Saturday, followed by 50 road miles yesterday. Three big events coming up: 100 road miles in Naples Sunday, 50 MTB miles at the Santos Fat Tire Festival the following Saturday, and 70 miles along the beaches in Venice, FL, late April. Dreading the first one most!

We went out before they opened. Fortunately for my waistline, not so much for my tastebuds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My back derailleur locked up on a lower gear Sunday causing tough 3 mile return home for maintenance. When I got home, I put it up on my bike stand and still couldn't figure out what was causing the issue.

Fortunately, my local bike shop fit me in for repairs yesterday and I should be back pedaling by the weekend. It turned out to be the cable in the right shift lever had frayed internally. It was not something I could have seen or repaired out on the road. In retrospect, it is good I was only 3 miles from home and had only a couple of minor hills to climb in the lower gear.

I am fortunate to have an amazing local bike shop. With my purchase, my bike included lifetime maintenance for routine repairs and tune ups. I suspect it took a tech a couple of hours to repair the cable. No charge. I always toss them a $20 bill and treat them for lunch. Good, hard working guys and gals.

My back derailleur locked up on a lower gear Sunday causing tough 3 mile return home for maintenance. When I got home, I put it up on my bike stand and still couldn't figure out what was causing the issue.

Fortunately, my local bike shop fit me in for repairs yesterday and I should be back pedaling by the weekend. It turned out to be the cable in the right shift lever had frayed internally. It was not something I could have seen or repaired out on the road. In retrospect, it is good I was only 3 miles from home and had only a couple of minor hills to climb in the lower gear.

I am fortunate to have an amazing local bike shop. With my purchase, my bike included lifetime maintenance for routine repairs and tune ups. I suspect it took a tech a couple of hours to repair the cable. No charge. I always toss them a $20 bill and treat them for lunch. Good, hard working guys and gals.

Did that exact repair for that exact problem on my Specialized Roubaix a couple of months ago. It was the first bike I had to use a magnet to help guide an internally routed cable through the frame to the rear derailleur.

This morning’s 7K commute took about 11 minutes longer than usual, partly due to snow jamming up the fenders in a couple of areas, partly grinding to a halt in some unrideable bits, and partly taking the leisure to take some pics.
27F8D29B-0A4D-4C7C-93E2-FC9BF4073B51.jpeg

E4774D31-7A63-4D73-98DD-3F26057C1479.jpeg

Same bike was in the rack for my return commute but it was so grungy I picked out a fresh one and knocked the snow off the seat. The ride home was 95% awesome tailwind and 5% terrifying crosswind that blew me right off the path.

I just saw this thread and enjoyed reading it. I went up to Bozeman Montana last summer and did a few MTB rides out there on a borrowed bike. When I returned to Texas I bought a Trek Fuel EX5 MTB and have been riding the local trails since. The last ride at Millican Reserve, two days ago, was on a new trail I have never been on with my son leading. We rode about nine miles and I had to walk a few parts. Large gully's here. Kicked my butt! My excuse is I will be 70 in two months so, not too bad considering. LOL.

Mike

Keep getting out! I have a Trek Fuel EX7 and it does all I ask it. Looking forward to the Santos Fat Tire Festival in Ocala, FL, Saturday, and the Santos Epic 50 MTB ride!

Top Bottom