What's new

Aww, nuts

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Anyone roast their own peanuts?

proxy.php

When I was a kid Dad used to get some raw, in the shell peanuts and we'd roast them in the oven. If I remember right there was oil involved...I believe Mom tossed them in a bowl with oil a bit before we put them on the tray and salted them. We haven't been able to find them at the store so SWMBO ordered two pounds of raw, in the shell peanuts. That should last awhile.

My wife’s grandmother use to boil raw peanuts with star anise and some other Asian spices. Really addictive and went well with a cold beer.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Yes, I've roasted them in the shell for my parrot. They smell wonderful when they're roasting. I always have to help myself to a few when they're done.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Never roasted peanuts but I'll bet that's good. I have roasted chestnuts, filberts, pecans, cashews and walnuts. Oh, and pumpkin seeds, too, as well as other seeds.

My dad was having a good day if he got back from the corner grocery with a big sack of peanuts and a case of Buckhorn, and there was baseball on TV.

O.H.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Used to be a once a year treat associated with pumpkin carving with our daughter. But we love them so much that I roast them all year at this point.

I've been meaning to try growing Styrian pumpkins, which have naked seeds. What's holding me up is the same thing that holds me up on growing Oaxacan Green corn: corn and squash varieties interbreed like crazy. I can't spread things out enough to grow more than one variety a year, and I've got corn and squash varieties I like already started.

O.H.

I've been meaning to try growing Styrian pumpkins, which have naked seeds. What's holding me up is the same thing that holds me up on growing Oaxacan Green corn: corn and squash varieties interbreed like crazy. I can't spread things out enough to grow more than one variety a year, and I've got corn and squash varieties I like already started.

O.H.
You're much more ambitious than I am. I just buy bags of seeds.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've never roasted peanuts. I regularly roast almonds, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds. I occasionally roast pecans and cashews.

I do like peanuts, but I like the above more. Freshly roasted and cooled almonds are out of sight!

Top Bottom