What's new

Australian sky-gazers witness 'Ring of Fire' solar eclipse!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
$eclips.png Did any of our Australian 'mates' happen to witness this amazing 'Ring of Fire' Eclipse today?
proxy.php

"SYDNEY — Sky-gazers were treated to an annular solar eclipse in remote areas of Australia on Friday, with the Moon crossing in front of the Sun to leave a "ring of fire" around its silhouette.

The eclipse, which occurs when the Moon passes between the Earth and the Sun but is too close to the Earth to completely cover the Sun, was seen in full across northern Australia, while Sydney saw a partial eclipse.

"It was perfect," said Geoff Sims, who photographed the event from a remote spot in Western Australia.

"It was my first time I had seen an annular eclipse. I thought it was spectacular. I was actually amazed at how beautiful it was," he told AFP. "It (the Sun) came up in a complete golden ring. Just phenomenal."

From his position about 150 kilometres (93 miles) south of the town of Newman, in Western Australia's Pilbara region, Sims described the moment he saw the Moon travel in front of the Sun, as if it was dancing.

"It is dancing because the Moon pivots around the edge of the Sun," he said.

In November, sky-gazers in Australia witnessed one of nature's greatest phenomena -- a total solar eclipse, when the Moon completely covers the Sun and a faint halo or 'corona' appears.

The rare spectacle, which was viewed live by millions around the world, drew thousands of eclipse tourists to Queensland.

Read More: http://www.google.com/hostednews/af...ocId=CNG.51e24eb692b08f9aa92c7ce168f6f67d.2d1

proxy.php
"It's only during an Eclipse that the person in the Moon has a place in the Sun" Author Unknown

Last edited by a moderator:

Legion

Staff member
Nah, too far south. One of the guys at work tried to photograph what we could see, but I don't think he had much luck.

Top Bottom