What's new

Armagnac, anyone?

With winter upon us, my thoughts turn to brandy. Typically, I'm a cognac drinker, but I've sampled Armagnac, and I'm intrigued. Can someone school me in the finer points? My likes/dislikes in cognac: I enjoy fuller, fruitier. I favor cognacs from Pierre Ferrand, which recall vanilla and caramel. Ferrand's Reserve and Cigare are both faves. I'm not so fond of more "floral" brandies, eg Delamain.

I drink very moderately--a bottle lasts around a year, so I don't mind spending $75-80. I also don't mind spending less.

Any suggestions? Favorite Armagnacs (or, for that matter, Cognacs?)

I like Armagnac to drink but I also make a Daube with it which is a sort of Provençal Bourguignon. The Armagnac truly makes this stew great. A bottle lasts me a long time. Right now I have some Samalens which is not too bad.

What do you think of Hennessey's cognac? I'm thinking of buying myself a bottle.

I believe the primary difference betwen Armagnac and Cognac is that Armagnac is distilled once and Cognac twice. I find that this results in a more robust brandy with a more powerful nose.

So some recommendations, a few I have enjoyed over the years:

Cerbois Bas Armagnac
Chateau de Saint Aubin Bas Armagnac
Larressingle VSOP

Good recommendations.

As far as taste, I believe an Armagnac would be quite up your alley. Although there are exceptions, Armagnacs tend to be a bit more fruity, nutty, and less floral than Cognacs.

Like all wines fortified or not, you should pay attention to the balance of the components, the expressiveness of the flavors, and the overall complexity. It always pisses me off when someone says something like "this is a great wine, it tastes like cherries and dirt." Flavors are nuances to the wine, not a measure of how fine it is.

BTW this standard of judging works just as well for food and cologne.

I''m not very well versed in Armagnac, but what I've had I like very much. I've had a few XOs that have been quite good. More rustic and not as sweet as Cognac, a good spirit.

Thanks for all the great info. Larressingle is a producer that keeps popping up in my research, so I may go that way. I'll see how others weigh in on this forum, then check out what my (knowledgable) local merchant has on offer. There's no hurry--I'm just anticipating a cold-weather appetite.

To Dave, who asked about Hennessey cognac: For me, not particularly inspiring. As noted, I love the cognacs of Pierre Ferrand. Their Ambre is terrific for under $40, and their Reserve at around $55 (on sale locally) blows away more expensive cognacs. Their Cigare is otherwordly. As in all matters of taste, well, I like Brussels sprouts; you may differ. De gusitbus non est disputandum.

Of course, if my local merchant is running another stunning sale on Ferrand, I may get sucked in. It's really too bad that my better half doesn't share my taste (she's a single malt Islay drinker, to the core.)

Though it's not my favorite, I do have a bottle of Delamain cognac that belonged to my father, who died this past March. Naturally, this will be meted out slowly, probably for years to come.

Thanks for all the great info. Larressingle is a producer that keeps popping up in my research, so I may go that way. I'll see how others weigh in on this forum, then check out what my (knowledgable) local merchant has on offer. There's no hurry--I'm just anticipating a cold-weather appetite.

To Dave, who asked about Hennessey cognac: For me, not particularly inspiring. As noted, I love the cognacs of Pierre Ferrand. Their Ambre is terrific for under $40, and their Reserve at around $55 (on sale locally) blows away more expensive cognacs. Their Cigare is otherwordly. As in all matters of taste, well, I like Brussels sprouts; you may differ. De gusitbus non est disputandum.

Of course, if my local merchant is running another stunning sale on Ferrand, I may get sucked in. It's really too bad that my better half doesn't share my taste (she's a single malt Islay drinker, to the core.)

Though it's not my favorite, I do have a bottle of Delamain cognac that belonged to my father, who died this past March. Naturally, this will be meted out slowly, probably for years to come.

I think your better half has great taste. When weather turns cold, this isn't a bad way to turn. Keep us posted on your purchase. I would love to learn more on the subject.

I think your better half has great taste.

She does have impeccable taste, in all things. She just got a raise and a bonus, so I treated her to a bottle of Ardbeg, on her debit card.

As noted when she actually encouraged me to buy that Toggle...I am a lucky, lucky man.

Top Bottom