What's new

Plisson - Worth the cost?

I tried too shave with this Plisson.
I wouldn't recommend this to any one, it's very stiff, it's scrubby, they also don't hold much water.
I like to lather direct from the soap tub onto my face, my tub was empty and it lathered not good !!!
I can tell you it is NOT worth the crazy price !
View attachment 72588

Regards,
Eelco

I'd like to think since I do not own one, then yes, they must be worth it. Like that Mercedes Benz I've been eyeing like... forever. :001_tongu

I tried too shave with this Plisson.
I wouldn't recommend this to any one, it's very stiff, it's scrubby, they also don't hold much water.
I like to lather direct from the soap tub onto my face, my tub was empty and it lathered not good !!!
I can tell you it is NOT worth the crazy price !
View attachment 72588

Regards,
Eelco

:lol::lol::lol:

They do a very good job on hard soaps though, and once they are broken in they are actually rather nice.

Make sure you don't use pressure otherwise the shave serves no purpose anymore! :biggrin::biggrin:

Of course they are - Plisson sells all the brushes they make. If they were overpriced, they would not sell and Plisson would go the way of other companies that don't respond to their market.

Of course they are - Plisson sells all the brushes they make. If they were overpriced, they would not sell and Plisson would go the way of other companies that don't respond to their market.

I don't know about that. Have enough hype and the hype sells the product without regard to quality. It just takes on a life of its own.

Rolex is the classic case study of that.

By the way I have a HMW and though its a very nice brush the overall fit and finish is no different than my Rooney or Simpson. The business end is a tad better the the other two but not enough to justify the price.

I don't know about that. Have enough hype and the hype sells the product without regard to quality. It just takes on a life of its own.

By the way I have a HMW and though its a very nice brush the overall fit and finish is no different than my Rooney or Simpson. The business end is a tad better the the other two but not enough to justify the price.

I'm not sure I understand what the issue with their pricing is, to be honest.

Plisson with it's best grade of hair with a 20mm knot and 53 mm loft is $300 with genuine horn size 10

Rooney in it's best grade of hair with a with a 22 mm knot and 52 mm loft is $209 in faux ivory. 2/1

There's no disputing that Plissons are more expensive, but they really aren't all that much out of line with what you'd expect IMO when you consider the rarity of materials used. We all know from the reviews and experiences of others that price is based more on the rarity of the materials used. Some swear that their cheap boar brushes are better than their most expensive silvertip badger brush. It's not about performance all the time. Fit and finish, performance, and materials used determine what the company wants for the brush. The market determines if the product is worth it or not. Considering we aren't seeing them going out of business, you'd have to assume that it's worth it to a significant enough percentage of wetshavers to keep them going.

Last edited:

Rolex is one of the best watches made !!!
Rolex do make their own movements, Parachrom Hairspring, dials, Case, Bracelets, Micro Stella (to adjust) and they use 904L steel !
Only swiss watch company mix there own Gold !!! Everose !!!
The Rolex Oysterquartz (1976) is a thermocompensated watch !

Regards,
Eelco

I completely agree, particularly with the Rolex example. From a marketing standpoint, Plisson is a great success. Whether the products are worth the price in an absolute sense, they are not. I have 2 Plisson brushes, both HMW and they are very good quality IMO and I enjoy them and have no regrets about buying them. However, they are not markedly better than Simspon, Rooney or even some of the much less expensive options.

please send that pig-dog Plisson to me.

I will dunk it in hot water and rub its filthy face in soap every morning.

ptu! I spit upon Plisson.

Send it to me. I will teach it lessons it won't soon forget.

Last edited:
Rolex is one of the best watches made !!!
Rolex do make their own movements, Parachrom Hairspring, dials, Case, Bracelets, Micro Stella (to adjust) and they use 904L steel !
Only swiss watch company mix there own Gold !!! Everose !!!
The Rolex Oysterquartz (1976) is a thermocompensated watch !

Regards,
Eelco

Meh. Personally, having owned two Rolex watches (a Submariner, and an Explorer 1) I would say 100% they do not deserve the high price they command. I found the two I owned weren't finished any better than say an Omega or a Breitling. In fact, I'd go as far as to say I've had several Seikos (not Grand Seiko either) which were better made than either Rolex, despite being 10% of the price.

My Explorer in particular was a *** and had sharp edges on the horns where the bracelet attaches, I don't care how exotic the metal it's made of is if it digs into my wrist! :mad3:

I sold both of them in the end, as it annoyed me to own such expensive watches which IMO were far from perfect.

I've never owned a Plisson brush, so maybe I'm missing out. But even if I had the money available to buy one I wouldn't, I can't see how one will enrich my life significantly over a Vulfix/Kent/Rooney etc for the huge extra cost.

These days, I'm all about functionality, as long as a product does a job well and is priced sensibly, I'm happy.

So is that to say you aren't buying a Rooney in finest either?

Not being argumentative, I'm just trying to determine your threshold. Thanks

$13,000 for a pen? :eek: Good grief! If you're really anxious to blow that kind of cash, send it to me and I'll go back to college (for a semester :rolleyes:). And I thought I was being extravagant buying a $25 Cross.

The only difference between men and boys is the size and price of their toys!!:biggrin:

Since it's a ballpoint, I've got to wonder how much the refills cost.
While I realize there is a tiny bit of sarcasm there, BUT if you gotta' ask you can't afford it!:wink2:

So is that to say you aren't buying a Rooney in finest either?

Not being argumentative, I'm just trying to determine your threshold. Thanks

Me? If so I just sold a Rooney in finest, and bought an Edwin Jagger in Pure (i.e. cheapest).

I'm not saying it's wrong to buy high end products, but I prefer lower end some times, even though I can afford high end.

Me? If so I just sold a Rooney in finest, and bought an Edwin Jagger in Pure (i.e. cheapest).

I'm not saying it's wrong to buy high end products, but I prefer lower end some times, even though I can afford high end.

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. I have a Semogue 1305 boar that I love ($20 US) and just traded my Rooney 1/2 in Super for a Rooney 1/1 in Pure ($40 US I think). I like these as well as anything that I've tried. So far out of my BK4, B&B LE '08, B&B Essential, EJ BBB, B&B LE '06 and others I can't remember off the top of my head, I'd say only the B&B Essential is as nice to use as those two cheap brushes. My recent Plisson acquisition is my last ditch effort to win with a premium brush.

That Rooney is an absolute beast!

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. I have a Semogue 1305 boar that I love ($20 US) and just traded my Rooney 1/2 in Super for a Rooney 1/1 in Pure ($40 US I think). I like these as well as anything that I've tried. So far out of my BK4, B&B LE '08, B&B Essential, EJ BBB, B&B LE '06 and others I can't remember off the top of my head, I'd say only the B&B Essential is as nice to use as those two cheap brushes. My recent Plisson acquisition is my last ditch effort to win with a premium brush.

That Rooney is an absolute beast!

Wow that's some collection. :biggrin:

I had a B&B 2006 which was lovely but a little big (ok actually I had 2 :blushing: ). I had 2 Simpson Chubbys which were a nice size/density but they were both from a bad batch and shed hairs like crazy, which put me off Simpson a little.

I bought a cheap Kent brush in Best for my father in law last year, and I tried it one morning without him knowing, it was superb! And I bought a cheap Edwin Jagger travel brush to take when I'm working away from home, and it's ended up being my favourite. I don't think I'd buy a Plisson, but I'd probably experiment with Simpson/Rooney again - though just the Pure/Best models rather than the more expensive models.

I have to agree all my rooneys even the large ones are all highly dense and firm. The rooney heritage line is more dense than their regular super line. The stubby finest is the meanest little brush of them all, Ive been using it for a while now and this is all it has bloomed. Pic is from yesterdays SOTD

From what I can gather from you Horatio, I bet you would love a rooney heritage stubby size 1 :biggrin:

I'm coming to the dreadful realization that I would love one too.

-Andy

Last edited:
Top Bottom