What's new

Are Any Of You Tool Bag Geeks?

Okay, I confess. I am a complete sucker for zippered tool bags. It started with the Duluth Trading Company's "Gatemouth Jr." bags about ten years ago. I just can't seem to quit looking at them, and buying a few since. I have never been completely satisfied with them because they have typically been aimed at more general purpose or carpentry trades. Nothing wrong with that. When you start putting electricians or telecom tech tools in them however, you soon find out their short comings. The most irritating one of all is outside and inside pockets that are simply too short. You guessed it, stuff falls out of them all the time. Like $40 pairs of Knipex linesman pliers. The skinnier pockets for stuff like screwdrivers are typically way too short as well. Try chucking a Klein rubber handled screwdriver with a six or eight inch shaft into one of them. You almost invariably wind up with a number of them spilled in the bag when you open it. As it stands now I have my tools segregated into two bags. One larger model that has my electrical tools in it and an old Gatemouth jr. that has my meager collection of telecom tools in it. This started me thinking and a couple of years ago I stumbled upon this company and their Veto Propac bags. I entered a very generic "ultimate tool bags" in a Google search engine and found them pretty fast. Owners are typically very happy with them. They are quite pricey and fairly heavy but I am seriously thinking of getting the LC model. Short of that I am considering have someone make one for me. I don't know how hard it would be to find someone who could sew the fabrics these bags are made from. But I could get one made with my requirements for the longer handled tools. I have included a photo from Veto Propac's website with the model I am considering. Is there anyone else here from the electro-mechanical trades who has tried one of these or knows someone who has?

Regards ,Todd

proxy.php

I have a bucketboss/gatemouth bag, kinda smaller one that I got dang near 10 years ago, now I don't use mine every day but mine gets beat up, gets filled quite full and used all the time, and it's been going pretty good, I can understand the thing about smaller pockets though, I found that I just don't use the pockets for things other then nuts and bolts and such. I just through all my tools in the bag and don't worry about sorting.
I've actually been thinking about picking up a couple of these or similar type bags that have a shoulder strap as a "heavy duty" duffle type bag for a small survival kit in the car. Most duffle bags that I've had tend to wear out after a few years, I'd think that one of these especially just sitting in a car would last dang near forever.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Okay, I confess. I am a complete sucker for zippered tool bags. It started with the Duluth Trading Company's "Gatemouth Jr." bags about ten years ago. I just can't seem to quit looking at them, and buying a few since. I have never been completely satisfied with them because they have typically been aimed at more general purpose or carpentry trades. Nothing wrong with that. When you start putting electricians or telecom tech tools in them however, you soon find out their short comings. The most irritating one of all is outside and inside pockets that are simply too short. You guessed it, stuff falls out of them all the time. Like $40 pairs of Knipex linesman pliers. The skinnier pockets for stuff like screwdrivers are typically way too short as well. Try chucking a Klein rubber handled screwdriver with a six or eight inch shaft into one of them. You almost invariably wind up with a number of them spilled in the bag when you open it. As it stands now I have my tools segregated into two bags. One larger model that has my electrical tools in it and an old Gatemouth jr. that has my meager collection of telecom tools in it. This started me thinking and a couple of years ago I stumbled upon this company and their Veto Propac bags. I entered a very generic "ultimate tool bags" in a Google search engine and found them pretty fast. Owners are typically very happy with them. They are quite pricey and fairly heavy but I am seriously thinking of getting the LC model. Short of that I am considering have someone make one for me. I don't know how hard it would be to find someone who could sew the fabrics these bags are made from. But I could get one made with my requirements for the longer handled tools. I have included a photo from Veto Propac's website with the model I am considering. Is there anyone else here from the electro-mechanical trades who has tried one of these or knows someone who has?

Regards ,Todd

proxy.php

I really like that bag. It's going on my wish list.

My first tool bag was a small green canvas zipper bag that I used in the Navy. I have since replaced it with a cordura nylon one that rides in the trunk of my wife's car.

That's not a tool box, that's a purse. You need one of these.

No, that's not a toolbox, that's for gathering eggs at mom's farm.

I went through several before settling on this large Rigid. I love this bag.
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Tool-Carry-All/EN/index.htm

No more walking back to the truck for this or that.
http://www.bestcovery.com/rigid-jobmax-tool-carry-all

Those are pretty nice Petr. Our local Home Desperate does not carry them. Funny since they carry about everything else labeled Ridgid.

Regards, Todd

I've been using this bag for several years. Very well made, great design, made to be loaded heavy, hard bottom, and should last forever!:thumbup1:

Tom

Hey Tom, how do you think it would work with longer handled screwdrivers or nutdrivers with the six inch shafts? This is where I have issue with most bags. The same can be said for the linesman pliers or diagonal cutters since each is about 8-9 inches in lenghth.

Regards, Todd

Hey guys. I know it sounds ridiculous but I don't know how to quote posts with the images in them. Each time I select quote post or multiquote it just copies the text and not the photos. CJ, you were able to just include the pic. How do you guys do this?

Regards, Todd

Hey guys. I know it sounds ridiculous but I don't know how to quote posts with the images in them. Each time I select quote post or multiquote it just copies the text and not the photos. CJ, you were able to just include the pic. How do you guys do this?

Regards, Todd
For embedded or linked images, you can link to it using the upload image button, right click and copy the image location, then paste it to the text box in the upload image button. It is the button that looks like a little mountain, above.

See?

proxy.php

Or you can just drag the pic to your desktop then upload it. But that eats server space.

I'm a marine mechanic working on 30' and up live aboards and daily cruisers and I can't quite life my 41" chest, cabinet and shelves on and off every boat, so I've been looking for a modular tool storage unit of some sort as well, pelican makes some really nice wheeled carts but I really like the looks of that bag, unfortunatley I'm not sure it would have the capacity I need for my tools.

I'm a marine mechanic working on 30' and up live aboards and daily cruisers and I can't quite life my 41" chest, cabinet and shelves on and off every boat, so I've been looking for a modular tool storage unit of some sort as well, pelican makes some really nice wheeled carts but I really like the looks of that bag, unfortunatley I'm not sure it would have the capacity I need for my tools.

EXACTLY. Toting around a full chest of tools would be great but unfeasible. If you work in one area like a mechanics station it is great. If you work out of a truck like I do, then you need portable tool carriers. And they need to be well made and sensibly laid out as well. Even as much as I want to pull the trigger on the Veto Propac LC, I won't until I can see one up close or see a DEFINITIVE review by an every day electrician or telecom tech that confirms that longer shanked tools can be managed well. I also use precision screwdrivers every so often and it would be nice to have a way to carry them SECURELY rather than chuck half dozen in a cavernous pocket and hope they don't fall out. I am kind of neat freak with tools. My every day leather tool pouch is filled so I can reach to any pocket on it even without seeing it and know which tool I am selecting. I have been tempted time and again by those "military" tool cases you see from Pelican and others. However, they usually rely on a pallet system and from what I have seen they are fine with more delicate or precision tools but I wonder how they'd stand up to the beating a set of mechanics tools would give them? I am not against them per se but I have seen a few cases that use the pallets and have been less than impressed with them. The cases are great, the pallets are usually cardboard with vinyl covering and vinyl pockets. I don't know if they'd take a socket set or combination wrenches.

Regards, Todd

Harbor Freight white Canvas Riggers Bags. $6.99 or cheaper on sale. We buy them by the box full and use them for everything.
These are great gifts from knitting/crochet to hobbiest to, you name it.

I have several for tools to grab and go. I have enough tools in my main bag to do just about anything Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing, Appliance, blah blah! I've used them in appliance repair, Setting doors of all kinds. Repairing small tools and engines. Repairng toilets to installing disposals/water heaters, to just about anything around the household or at my jobs.

To be honest it took some time to outfit the bags to do the most work with the least amount of tools. I should write a guide or something.

For rigidity I stick an auto license plate in the bottom and load em up. I have between 25 and thirty pounds of tools in em.

Also have several each for paint equipment, garden tools, gun and range tools. We use them in the trunk to hold safety and emergency equipment, Flares, maps, lights, etc. My wife and friends use them for everything imaginable..... Even small gym bags. I've even seen them with painting decorations used as a diaper, baby bag and purses. Amazing.... And washable too.

Fast, cheap and easy and they'll hold the long tools too. Punches, Pliers, Nut Drivers (long and short), combo wrenches, etc.

I don't baby them one bit.... if one fails (Rarely) Grab another, transfer your stuff and back on the job.... Great for just about everything. I've used one for a shooting bag for 15 years.:thumbup1:

Hey Tom, how do you think it would work with longer handled screwdrivers or nutdrivers with the six inch shafts? This is where I have issue with most bags. The same can be said for the linesman pliers or diagonal cutters since each is about 8-9 inches in lenghth.

Regards, Todd

Not a problem. It is a tall/vertical bag with space for 14" tall tools. The interior pockets are terraced (deeper pockets in the back) so there's a slot for everything.

Tom

Not a problem. It is a tall/vertical bag with space for 14" tall tools. The interior pockets are terraced (deeper pockets in the back) so there's a slot for everything.

Tom

Well then, this certainly keeps it on the short list of tool bags I need to try. I just hope I can find one in a local store somewhere. I still think I need to see how it works out before laying the Guineas.

Regards, Todd

Top Bottom