What's new

April 2018 Challenge: Filtered/Unfiltered

Okay- so here's my crazy idea- (If it's too crazy I probably won't win again ^_^)

Show us a photo of your filtered and unfiltered shot. Let us know which filter you used and why you think it improved the shot.
That's it, photo can be of anything and any genre, just filtered/unfiltered for entry.
(I'll even allow for software filters if you choose, but plus in my book if it is a lens filter.)

Monthly Photo Challenge rules:
  • winner of the previous months challenge picks new theme and starts thread.
  • You must be the photographer.
  • One entry per month.
  • Try and make the image a recent one.
  • Competition runs until the 19th of the Month.
  • Voting runs from the 20th - 26th.
  • The person with the most votes is the winner.

A day and 1/2 and no replies. Either everyone is out busy with the challenge or I came up with a bust.:frown1:

Busy. This one requires taking the same shot with and without the filter. May not get to post til later. May use a contrast filter on the enlarger. Not sure yet.

Sounds interesting, but the only filters I have are macro, wide angle or tele. Would these work? I think changing the focal length isn't really what your looking for. Maybe I'll use a software filter, or maybe I'll get a filter. What is a good type of filter to start with for someone new to filters?

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I'm here hoping you will get some members to post some pictures.

But I do not have a picture.

Sounds interesting, but the only filters I have are macro, wide angle or tele. Would these work? I think changing the focal length isn't really what your looking for. Maybe I'll use a software filter, or maybe I'll get a filter. What is a good type of filter to start with for someone new to filters?

Most photographers wouldn't consider what you have to be filters, but secondary lenses. They can certainly be very useful though.

A polarizing filter is always useful to darken skies and make them more dramatic, or to manage glare or reflections.

Polarizing filter (photography) - Wikipedia

Neutral density filters can also come in handy to allow long exposures, which can produce intentional motion blur in moving water and other atmospheric effects.

Neutral-density filter - Wikipedia

Okay, I'll get my feet wet first. Lacking an actual filter, here's making use of an unopened white wine bottle for a filter. Behold "Grape Fingers":

Rings1.jpg

RingsFilter1.jpg

I like it too!

Another cheap and easy option is a soft focus filter. A layer or two of womens’ stocking/tights material stretched over the lens can give nice effects.

Most photographers wouldn't consider what you have to be filters, but secondary lenses. They can certainly be very useful though.

A polarizing filter is always useful to darken skies and make them more dramatic, or to manage glare or reflections.

Polarizing filter (photography) - Wikipedia

Neutral density filters can also come in handy to allow long exposures, which can produce intentional motion blur in moving water and other atmospheric effects.

Neutral-density filter - Wikipedia
Thanks for the info!

Here's my entry for the month shot last week at Cherry Creek as it runs through Castlewood Canyon. The unfiltered shot is just a basic shot of the water as it runs through the rocks. It is nothing special and seems quite generic as if it was shot with a point and shoot or something. Shutter speed was 1/160 sec.
D85_4262.jpeg

The filtered shot uses two different filters. First I added a 6-stop neutral density filter. I like it because it softens the flowing water and adds a sense of movement rather that freezing the action like in the unfiltered shot. I also stacked a circular polarizing filter on top of the ND filter. This improved things by removing reflections from the water and even allows a glimpse of a few of the rocks on the bottom of the creek bed. I processed this one to taste making it more dramatic than the first shot. Shutter speed was 8 seconds.
D85_4259.jpeg

Last edited:
Tough assignment, as mentioned digital cameras have pretty much relegated filters to the dustbin. I do use a polarizing filter now and then. A lot of bad weather, and a total lack of time this month caused me to not get out and shoot anything interesting. These are possibly within the realm of the contest, a bird house in the backyard this AM. Yes, it is really leaning, not me.

Camera - Nikon D-300s
Lens - Lensbaby Composer
Optic - Double Glass, f/16
ISO 220, 1/30s
Double glass.jpg

Optic - Pinhole f/177
ISO 200, 1s
PH.jpg

Optic - Zone Plate f/19
ISO 200, 1/30s
ZP.jpg

Top Bottom