What's new

Anyone use a cordless electric lawn mower?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I went ahead and picked up the Kobalt 80V chainsaw yesterday while it was still on sale. I cut up a large oak limb, about 15-20 ft. long that had fallen a couple of months ago. It varied in diameter from 6 in. to about 12 in. The 18 in. Kobalt saw did the trick. Like the lawn mower, not as powerful as a gas saw, but powerful enough to do what needed to be done.

That sounds good. I have a corded electric wallyworld WORX brand that's done just fine so far. All you need to do is make sure it has bar oil in it. If I need to cut something that's too far away from an electric outlet i have a good gas one.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
So I rounded things out with the matching Kobalt 80V weed eater. Unfortunately it is only a string trimmer, the newer model won't accept other attachments, but a very nice string trimmer so far. So I will have to retain my old gas powered Stihl brush cutter with attachments. I think I'm done acquiring battery powered yard tools.

When (IF) my Honda gas mower ever dies, I will replace it with the EGO. But since I bought the Honda in 1987 and it is still running strong, not sure I will ever have to replace it.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I love my electric Ryobi trimmer. Plenty of power. No gas, no heat, no oil, a lot less noise, no pulling tugging or cussing.

Oh, hell no. Once had an electric weedeater & quickly tired of dragging around the extension cord. Got a rechargeable electric blower & tired of having to wait for a recharge part way thru the job. The extra battery cost around $75.
If you're doing just a small area, a gas weedeater works great - after a dozen years I finally needed to rebuild the carb - kit cost $9.00 and about 45 minutes time.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I've been using an EGO for a couple of years now and it works great, but I only mow the lawn (and it's fairly pricey for just cleaning up where the big mower can't reach).

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Oh, hell no. Once had an electric weedeater & quickly tired of dragging around the extension cord. Got a rechargeable electric blower & tired of having to wait for a recharge part way thru the job. The extra battery cost around $75.
If you're doing just a small area, a gas weedeater works great - after a dozen years I finally needed to rebuild the carb - kit cost $9.00 and about 45 minutes time.

There was a time when I would have expressed the same sentiment. But IMHO, the latest rendition of rechargeable cordless lawn tools are giving gas powered tools a run for their money, literally. Gas still rules when the highest level of power is required, but electric has made a serious dent in the moderate power applications that most homeowners are faced with.

I have an EGO lawnmower, weed eater, backpack leaf blower, and hedge trimmer. They all work flawlessly and if any of them broke I'd go right out and buy them again.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Haven't got one yet but it's on my list. I just purchased a Ryobi weed trimmer. It is the bomb. No gas, oil, noise, pulling, cussing or leaking gas caps.

My wife and I recently bought a house that had a bigger yard than where we were renting, not to mention theres a ton of trees, so now Im looking at upgrading from the reel mower to a rotary.
At first I thought that I would just get a Honda but Ive been looking at some of the Ryobi cordless mowers and I kind of like them. Ive got a Ryobi trimmer and even after 2 years the thing is still a little beast and is going strong. Im thinking about picking up the 20" 40v brushless Ryobi mower. Supposedly the battery lasts about a hour, which should be plenty long enough for what I need it to do and its $100 cheaper than the Honda would have been.
Also, just like the trimmer, I like that there is no hassle of gas, oil, making sure that I run it out of gas at the end of the season and just the maintenance and breakdown concerns of a gas engine. Just charge the battery and go!
Ive always said that I cant wait for the day when electric cars are the norm and I kind of feel like while I cant quite justify an EV yet, I honestly see no reason why I wouldn't choose an electric mower.
I think that Im probably going to pick up the Ryobi One+ blower too, partly because Im going to need a blower and also because it uses the same batteries that my trimmer uses.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I'm still waiting for all the lawn care "pros" who come around here at all hours with the big gas engines to go eco. Otherwise, my 28 YO Toro will roll on, as will the gas Stihl trimmer & blower. The price of converting is staggering compared to yearly plugs, filters & gas. Until those guys quit using gas power, or all of mine die at the same time, not in ..

When my current corded unit dies I'll be replacing it with cordless; not replacing it though for "the fun of it". Front lawn is quite small, about 25'x25'. Back yard is mostly hardscape, all that is left will be about 10'x10' of lawn when we're done with it this summer.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Guess it depends on the job, though we've got slugs in my sub who need riding mowers to do 1/4 acre lots.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Picked up this little thing this afternoon to see how the power is on the battery stuff now. The battery is charging so I'll try it out on the low hanging tree branches tomorrow. I'm sure if I needed to cut up a 30 foot tall oak tree that was downed again I'd need the gas one, but if this one works for what I want there will be no need to mix oil and gas, trying to get the darn thing started, etc.

An electric mower is out though...I have about 2 acres of yard to do and I use the 25 hp zero turn for that.

1598656787859.png

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Once my gas trimmer goes I’ll replace it with a battery. I have a battery blower already, and battery hedge trimmers. My two Poulan chain saws just gave up the ghost this summer so I’m looking in to a battery chainsaw. All that stuff I can get away with battery because I don’t use it often. But the mower....3 acres demands gas. Although, I will be getting a battery push mower too. I use a push mower for the ditch and areas around the house the mower can’t squeeze in to.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Once my gas trimmer goes I’ll replace it with a battery. I have a battery blower already, and battery hedge trimmers. My two Poulan chain saws just gave up the ghost this summer so I’m looking in to a battery chainsaw. All that stuff I can get away with battery because I don’t use it often. But the mower....3 acres demands gas. Although, I will be getting a battery push mower too. I use a push mower for the ditch and areas around the house the mower can’t squeeze in to.

Yeah, the weed eaters, hedge trimmers, and blowers and stuff seem to do good with battery. Like you, I just use a push mower for the stuff that the big mower can't get to...like the edges of the bar ditches, especially when there is an inch of water in them that would sink the 600 plus pound zero turn. The bar ditches can get a bit gnarly at times, and I don't think an electric would "cut" it. I have a good Troy-built push mower for that.

My calico gave her paw of approval on the chain saw...:)

1598679997432.png

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
No but I just finished mowing my lawn with my manual push rotory-drum mower.
IMG_20200829_153905.jpg
Works every time and doesn't need recharging or fuel.

I've bought 2 rechargeable mowers over the years. First one had a proprietary battery that made replacement cost prohibitive since they discontinued that system shortly after introducing it. The second was a cheap one I bought because it was light (all plastic) so I could throw it in the trunk easily to mow an abandoned cemetery. If the grass is sparse or short, it lasts about 30 minutes. If the grass hasn't been mown for a while I might get 10 minutes out of a charge. It's only a 20v setup though so I would expect the 40/60/80v models would handle the tougher stuff better. One thing about my cheap one I don't like is that since the battery is lithium it doesn't give you any warning of a low battery. It just stops. And even though there is a gauge on the battery, the battery is under a cover so you can't see it while mowing. So, I guess my advice to anyone looking to buy a battery mower would be to not skrimp on quality. Get a better mower because the cheapest ones aren't going to do much especially if you have some heavier mowing to do. Also, as mentioned earlier, look for ones that have a "system" so you can run trimmers, leaf blowers etc. off the same battery packs. Having multiple batteries also allows you to mow more (or finish the last bit the first battery didn't finish without having to wait for the battery to recharge enough to finish the job).

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I love my electric Ryobi trimmer. Plenty of power. No gas, no heat, no oil, a lot less noise, no pulling tugging or cussing.
Pretty much in The same boat here i like the ryobi but i have a postage stamp size lawn to cut. Ive never run out of charge my criticism is the blade doesn't seem super sharp. It might be my imagination but Who knows i always use the bag. my area is so small i can cross cut or do multiple passes and finish in 45 minutes all in not rushing. So based on the application its good especially where ihave limited storage.

I used to "cut" this lawn with a gas fired stihl trimmer. But when we had sod put in i thought better of it and got the mower. I use the stihl to trim and to annoy the neighbors lol jk.

Top Bottom