What's new

Anyone into astronomy "Star Gazing"

Little bummed out. Got the scope out, got the kiddos bundled up, and ill be darned if the clouds didn't roll in tonight.

Little bummed out. Got the scope out, got the kiddos bundled up, and ill be darned if the clouds didn't roll in tonight.

That's the worst. I've had too many times pointing to a cloudy patch sky saying to my wife, "well the lunar eclipse would be right about there."

$DSC_6665.jpg$DSC_6686.jpg

I don't have any special astro photography gear, just used a 55-300mm lens on a cheap tripod, but here is Jupiter and the moon.

Those are really good pics brother!
Thank you!!

I live in Abu Dhabi, which has terrible light pollution as well as dust in the air. Those were taken from the city but for a really nice pic, I would need to go out into the desert for some really black skies.

Thank you!!

I live in Abu Dhabi, which has terrible light pollution as well as dust in the air. Those were taken from the city but for a really nice pic, I would need to go out into the desert for some really black skies.
The UAE is dusty for sure, but beautiful.

Yup, my wife and I are into it. We've got an old Meade 826C as well as a new Astro-Tech AT10D 10" dob. Don't get out and use it nearly as much as we should, though :(

Freebirth, they are moons. I expect with a better tripod and more patience, I could tighten them up a bit too.

200mm should still get something, a solid tripod and some effort would get similar results. You need to tweak the ISO and aperture as well as manually focusing, zooming the LCD screen if your camera can do that. I have a cheap point and shoot with a x20 zoom with I will try out when I get an clear sky again.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I got a new pair of Celestron 10X50 binoculars yesterday. For the 1st time, I saw Ganymede and Castillo, it was very cool.

Very nice! I love when I see something for the first time. Seems like it took me forever to find Jupiter. Did you mean Callisto? :wink2:

Astrophotography is something I have always wanted to do more of, but sadly living in the middle of a big city makes it tough. But here's about what I can do with 600mm focal length on a crop sensor at 1.5x (this shot might have been only 300mm though, can't remember). I would love to get a tracking mount as well.

proxy.php

Possibly a cheap scope or make one myself for my son and I to use in the yard, would be nice to have. I have extra tripods laying around too.

Astrophotography is something I have always wanted to do more of, but sadly living in the middle of a big city makes it tough. But here's about what I can do with 600mm focal length on a crop sensor at 1.5x (this shot might have been only 300mm though, can't remember). I would love to get a tracking mount as well.

proxy.php

Possibly a cheap scope or make one myself for my son and I to use in the yard, would be nice to have. I have extra tripods laying around too.
Thats a super cool shot! Love how it picked up the craters and detail around the perimeter

Top Bottom