member 1211

It's all in the Iron!

2200 Watts or greater!

Cheap irons are for ****e!

TakeTheCann0lis said:
It's all in the Iron!

2200 Watts or greater!

Cheap irons are for ****e!

I don't know much about irons, but can I ask one question? What house do you live in that supports a 2200 watt appliance? Most older houses are 15 amp circuits (15A * 110V = 1650 max) and those of us with newer houses have 20 amp (20A * 110V = 2200 max) circuits that wouldn't leave you with room for a lightbulb.

If you are non US, I think it still holds because aren't most 220V homes wired with 5 and 10 amp circuits???

M

member 1211

FriscoSoxFan said:
I don't know much about irons, but can I ask one question? What house do you live in that supports a 2200 watt appliance? Most older houses are 15 amp circuits (15A * 110V = 1650 max) and those of us with newer houses have 20 amp (20A * 110V = 2200 max) circuits that wouldn't leave you with room for a lightbulb.

If you are non US, I think it still holds because aren't most 220V homes wired with 5 and 10 amp circuits???

Actually, you are correct! There is a story behind this however...

The iron we use is an 1800 Watt Iron (I think it's a Phillips I love their products, they hold the patent to the CD), but about 5 years ago a company I was working for sent me to Germany for what should have been a 6 month project (I do live in the US). Upon arrival, I bought everything that I needed for my stay, including a good ironing board, and a Siemans 2200 watt iron that cost me $120 USD. The next morning, I got pulled from the project, and transferred to another project. I still own this iron, and would kill to be able to use it however it's European. I went out and bought the biggest converter that radio shack offered, and I still fried the hell out of it.

So yes you are correct. I do have a 220v plug for my AC. In theory, I should just be able to rewire the plug on my iron, and have it work, I think.

But I still stand strong on my original point... The better the iron, the easier the job!

FriscoSoxFan said:

230V is the new European mains AC potential.
13A is current through the domestic plug.
Therefore -- 2990W maximum power.

And the actual rings run 32A each (one for kitchen, one for mains, and two more for lighting) so there is room for more appliances.

I really suggest learning how to iron. It is a skill worth having. Even if it is worth the money to you to pay for your shirts to be laundered. Ouch, though, especially in the city. One thing if you only have to wear one occasionally, but every day.... Regardless, emergencies come up. Sometime you are going to need a pressed shirt, and realize you don't have time to take one to the clearners. Or traveling (the travel ones are nice, but they still don't come out of a bag looking totally sharp), you are going to need to pull you clothes out and go to a meeting, without time to send them off. (Most hotels have iron and board in the room. If not, ask, and they will bring you one).

It is just on that list of skills a gentleman should have, as the military gents here know.

And you have no idea what it is worth when your significant other is in a tizzy getting ready for something, fussing about how she can't wear this blouse, those slacks, etc, that she wants to because they need to be ironed, and you say, "don't worry, honey, I'll take care of that." :smile:

-Mo

This is all good advice - here are a couple of other tips/suggestions:

SNIPPED

Thanks a lot for typing that out. Ironically (!) I just bought my first iron ever earlier this week and hadn't even thought about asking people on here for advice. I just Googled it and kinda BS'd my way through the rest. It's definitely not as easy as it looks. Yet another thing to miss about my ex-girlfriend. ;)

-Mike

i use the black and decker Classic.it got some weight and creases almost as good as the cleaners.As for getting a good crease in shirts or jeans here is my method.Go get some Elmers Wood glue an a little spray bottle.Mix some hot water and about 3 table spoons of the wood glue into the spray bottle.Turn whatever it is that you are ironing inside out and completly drench it with the ''starch'' you put into the spray bottle.Let dry(should take 4 or more hours) and then iron without steam.Your clothing will stay some what creased even after being washed and should only need to be re-ironed.turn clothing outside in before ironing

I'll vote for dry cleaning too. Back when I was single I tried a few times, and the value of the I clothes I ruined would have paid for several months worth of dry cleaning, not to include the iron and board I bought. My wife of 28 years (whom I was dating at the time) won't even let me plug the thing in!!!:lol: :blushing:

Too many ways to iron- as with shaving- depends on your choice of iron, use of starch, and finally the quality of the shirts you have- I used to work for Brooks Brothers, and one of the tailors taught me the following- light starch with collar back and front first- then sleeves front back and light starch on cuffs. then front with starch on the shirt hole part and work your way around the shirt until all that is left is the shoulders- he said you could start with the shoulders first but depends on whether you wear a jacket or not-

The starch is to how you like it- but the more you use the shorter the life of the fabric- also depends on where you work how you work and also the temperature inside and out- a lot to keep in mind-

Good Luck- and as with shaving- trial and error at times and also it can be quiet relaxing- unless you let it pile up.:eek:

Join the Navy. They should get you all set up with how to shine your shoes AND iron your shirt :biggrin:
PS buying CNT (certified Navy twill) helps a bunch with getting permanent creases.

I find that the local cleaners do a much better job than I could ever do. Given how long it takes me to do a poor job of ironing, I find they're a bargain too.

What he said. For the amount I pay, I save frustration, time, and poorly ironed shirts. Now I can go to work with a fresh shirt daily and look presentable, before even with my ironing skills it always looked like I'd slept in my shirt the night before.

I try to avoid ironing like the plague. Hanging stuff up in the bathroom while showering will work sometimes. I got a nasty burn one time because i forgot to unplug the iron. I touched the side of it with my arm several hours later.

I got a nasty burn one time because i forgot to unplug the iron. I touched the side of it with my arm several hours later.

Sometimes I gesture with my hands while I talk. While in college, I talked with friends a lot. My dorm room was cramped, so when I had to iron I did it in the hall. One day my then girlfriend was among the friends I was talking to while ironing. She was standing a little too close. I forgot I had an iron in my hand. Caught her right on the back of the wrist while I was saying something. I think she still has a very faint scar from that burn.

-Mo

Top Bottom