What's new

anybody know about antique tools?

I was given some old hand tools to dispose of. I was told that some of them are early Ford tools. I don't see any markings to identify them.

Please let me know if you recognize any of this as something that shouldn't be thrown away.

$1atools.jpg

Step Away From the Tools!!! Do Not Throw Any of Them Away!!! A lot of spanners, and socket wrenches!!!

Tom

I agree it would be a waste to throw them away. Thats why I took them from the guy that was going to throw them away. I don't know what these are other than old hand tools but I'm hoping to learn more about them.

I dunno much about antique tools, but I was always told this: If you ever find any busted old Craftsman Tools for cheap, get 'em. Sears has a lifetime replacement guarantee with their tools and will replace it for you no questions asked. I've never tried this myself as I've never had the opportunity, but as far as I know its legit.

Actually I have a couple of hand wrenches for a Ford. I saw them at a shop and picked them up - they have the Ford emblem embossed heavily into the steel. Can't help you on the ones in the pic, you may need to find an antique tool forum.

I dunno much about antique tools, but I was always told this: If you ever find any busted old Craftsman Tools for cheap, get 'em. Sears has a lifetime replacement guarantee with their tools and will replace it for you no questions asked. I've never tried this myself as I've never had the opportunity, but as far as I know its legit.

It is legit. They will replace it, no questions asked, as long as you can see Craftsman on it.

If the tool is genuinely broken I'd replace it, but if it is an old Craftsman socket wrench, I'd try to see about rebuilding the mechanism before replacing it. The old ones are supposedly made a lot better than the new ones - you may be replacing a good tool that needs a little TLC with a bad/cheap one. Supposedly, Sears is importing a lot of their tools now.

If the tool is genuinely broken I'd replace it, but if it is an old Craftsman socket wrench, I'd try to see about rebuilding the mechanism before replacing it. The old ones are supposedly made a lot better than the new ones - you may be replacing a good tool that needs a little TLC with a bad/cheap one. Supposedly, Sears is importing a lot of their tools now.

Aye, today's Craftsman is indeed Crapsman... They just don't build em like that any more-- even the pro-line is not on par with the old middle-tier stuff.

That said, if you get get a broken new one, have at it, they do carry that warranty on most stuff*.

I'd definitely hang onto the tools, they look great! If you haven't already, try posting on OWWM.org (Old Woodworking Machinery-- has a handtool section if I recall correctly.. not just for woodworking either..)

*Warranty does not equal hassle free!

I'm in the same boat.

I have my grandpa's old trunk with all kinds of wood working and welding tools. Half of them I can't identify, the other half, I'll never use.

But, I can't get rid if them either.

Anyone know if a good antique tool site?

I'm in the same boat.

I have my grandpa's old trunk with all kinds of wood working and welding tools. Half of them I can't identify, the other half, I'll never use.

But, I can't get rid if them either.

Anyone know if a good antique tool site?

Same here - my granddad was a master craftsman and the first thing he had to make was a big case for his tools. That must have been 70 years ago. He gave it to me sometime around 1990 and it now sits in a packing box in a cupboard having been to three different houses in England then to Jakarta, back to England, back to Jakarta, to Bangkok and now Singapore. It's been through three moves here. All is does it take up space... But no, I will not get rid of it!

Top Bottom