What's new

Another Stone

I wouldn't have ordered this if I knew my neighbor was going to gift me a translucent Arkansas. But, it was already on order when that happened and I like to try different stones. I'm thinking this or the Ark would be a nice edge polish after a coticule.

20240508ILR2.jpg

20240508ILR1.jpg

I know ILRs have had some controversy around them. From what I've read, I think it's more about some of the marketing copy and policies of the seller. We'll see how the stone actually performs soon enough.

Some guys love them, some hate them...I have one somewhere, haven't used it in quite some time, was a solid "meh" but not awful either. Definitely see if you can improve a coticule edge with it, you'll learn something either way.

I don't think I'm going out on a limb to say that your ark will take you much further once you get dialed in to it, though.

Some guys love them, some hate them...I have one somewhere, haven't used it in quite some time, was a solid "meh" but not awful either. Definitely see if you can improve a coticule edge with it, you'll learn something either way.

I don't think I'm going out on a limb to say that your ark will take you much further once you get dialed in to it, though.
I agree with Darth 100% i'll also second his limb and say you will go further with the ark once you hone a bunch on it.

I own ILR and I like it. It was 3rd natural stone I've purchased behind an Ark and Thuringian when comes to razor honing. I still use ILR to this day. Its subjective to what you like for when it finished edges. For example, I have owned several really nice translucent Arks and like them, but they were not my favorite edges but that's just me. For some, it maybe there favorite. I use several Japanese Stones most of the time but occasionally use coticules and slate/ILR in my collection. I enjoy different edges on occasions. ILR is a very easy stone to use and there are a few videos online on how use them.

Top Bottom