What's new

Anglers of B&B. what's your favorite type of fish to catch?

I was visiting my wife's family in Minnesota last week and had the opportunity to go fishing with one of her stepdad's co-workers. I quickly learned that fishing for walleye and northern pike was a lot different than the fishing for bass and crappie that I've done down South where I live... and, in my opinion, was a lot more fun. (Even though I caught bass that I would've been overjoyed with in Georgia while looking for the walleye, the oldtimer that I was fishing with dismissed them as "not worth the trouble"). My wife, who I will readily and happily admit is ten times the angler that I am argues that fishing for sheephead in the Atlantic is the most fun you can have because of the skill needed to pull 'em up.

It got me to thinking... what's YOUR favorite type of fish to go for?

Last edited:
Mine is the large mouth bass. A fairly vanilla answer, but, I love the fight they put up and the variety of baits and lures that I can use.

$Redfish.jpg
or
$king_mackerel_2.png

Hands down, false albacore on the fly, from shore. From the boat is nice, but I think it takes a lot more skill (and luck) to land them from the rocks.

A few more weeks, and they should be in my neighborhood. I can't freakin' wait!

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Smallmouth bass, wading a limestone steam in central Kentucky with an ultra light spinning rod.

The most fun I've had in Colorado was going after smallmouth bass in some old gravel pit ponds. Probably only because I haven't yet been bitten by the fly-fishing bug or hit up any blue-ribbon streams here.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I like bluegill. small fish but they battle hard in my book. and easy to handle and unhook. Just fun little fish.

Trout / Steelhead on a fly. This year I caught several 5+ plus steelhead on my 2 wt. using a size 16 dry fly. Now that's fun. :)

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I like to catch fish I enjoy eating, so it's mostly flounder and sea bass. Would love to land some salmon and king crab, but I'll let someone else fall into the freezing water for me.

I just started fishing with the boys. Mostly catch and release, because that is the rule when fishing on base. But we just went to a lake where we could keep our fish. It was the first time they had ever eaten fish they caught. Bluegill and Sunfish. Man I forgot how good these were. I used to fish a bunch as a kid at my uncle's cabin. But my favorite fish to eat was Perch. So that is definitely my favorite fish to catch.

I like bluegill. small fish but they battle hard in my book.
Yes they do. I'm always suprised how small they are when I get them up. The way they fight, I expect them to be bigger.

I love casting to big browns on small, technical creeks with a light fly rod. So addictive and exciting.

Second would be Steelhead with a spey rod and dry line on big rivers. Especially the Thompson river in BC.

Top Bottom