What's new

Am I the only person in the western world not on Facebook?

I did register just to view the Gillette page discussed elsewhere. I was unhappy to realise it registered me with my real name rather than offering me the choice of a username. Easy to work around if I want (register again) but it wasn't a promising start.

I keep my telephone number ex-directory to minimise annoying calls. Why on earth would I want everyone on the planet to know how to contact me instantly and bug me constantly on something like Facebook?

Did anyone notice google has now become a verb?

So it has! :tongue_sm

Last edited:
I've set a couple accounts on fake names (real historical characters, not allowed really) primarily just to check some discussion on politics.

Maybe I'll register with my real name to see how this thing really works. But I'm not going to put any meaningful information on it. I could have even became a fan of my workplace of that time. But who wants to be a "fan" to his job?

Facebook has all right what comes to canceling your account and the privacy is worrisome.

Friends, what does that word mean? Who needs them?

I was reading the other day that You Tube, twitter and Facebook were looking at merging. The new name of the company is Youtwitface.:w00t:

I detest facebook for a number of reasons
- the impersonal nature of the contact
- the amount of crud that you are bombarded with over and above comms from friends
- it's on a computer, odd me saying that when I am on B&B. I work on the darn things the whole day so tend to avoid them where possible
- the commercial nature and lack of security of facebook (much ink has been spilt on this)

But that being said it is a useful tool for my family to keep in contact with us (we emigrated 10 years ago) and makes it easier to feel like a family. It is also becoming one of the few ways many people interact socially, which is a good thing. At its best it is very much like this forum, a form of community, yet it still lacks that face to face/in person aspect which is sorely missed in our current society.

So I would probably sign up for the online community that will eventually turn up where the advertising isn't as invasive and security is a bit better - sort of like when gmail came along and we didn't have to mess with all the ads on the other web mail services.
In the mean time the camaraderie and gentlemanly behaviour often seen on this forum means I have a safe, enjoyable and satisfying electronic community.

But more importantly it has made me realise the importance of putting effort into maintaining my face to face relationships. Spending more time with people and taking the time to build good friendships. For me this ties in with the recent discussions on B&B re the resurgence of manly rituals. Life is greatly enriched when we take time for ourselves and others and show how important they are with the quantity and quality of our time.

"Time to get of the PC now" - yes dear :biggrin1:

I'm holding out for an anti-social networking site.

But I fear these shallow sites are the way of the future. There was a report on the news the other day of primary school children using facebook to submit their homework. Soon they may simply be "how things are done." Just as letters gave way to phone calls, etc.

THIS site is the anti-social networking site. Everyone here seems to hate the very idea of communicating with other people, or even that other people are allowed to exist (and thing differently even!) on their perfect earth.

Get over yourselves. It's just a site. Join or don't, nobody cares. I have a FB page and I don't put every thing on it. If I want others to see something, I post, otherwise I don't. It's optional. See? Not a plot to let those damn kids walk on your lawn. We all thought Clint's character in Gran Torino was cool but it was a movie. Move on.

Sure do, cant say that ive been hot on it lately though. It offers a minor distraction to the real on occasion. Ive been enjoying the banter here of late, I also trip around golf sites, athletic sites and oh, um I dont know, Ive talked scotch online, scotch anyone? Everything has its virtual barber shop counter part and this is awesome. Really im talking razors and soaps with folks in Australia! Do you know that theres a golf course there that doesnt have grass nor holes? Once you tap the pin the attendant rakes the sand for the next foursome.

For those that are fearing a loss of privacy, Im afraid to admit we have very little left. There is a one page article that touches on the subject in this months American Scientific (maybe last months). With grocery store tracking, ebay accounts, online bill pay, cell phone accounts, DMV digitized, medical records on a web accessible intranet, you name it its out there.

Thats one of my motivations for being here, enjoying a nice shave, honoring a handed down tradition, mixed with a couple of pull my finger jokes.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
You're never going to be able to function in society without Facebook. It's one of the new necessities.

Seriously, it's weird to me. It's a terrific way to keep in touch with distant friends and family. Far more user friendly than E-mail. It's brilliant, really. It has chat, the option to post photos, public messaging, private messaging, a way to create events, etc. Really just a terrific idea. However, it has its sordid side. People become totally addicted to it. Almost dependent upon it. I'm at bars and people are telling one another to friend each other on Facebook. Now you can keep up with this person, whom you've spent five minutes with, forever. I remember a joke about the more friends you have on these social networking sites, the fewer you have in real life. I don't have many friends in real life or on Facebook, but some of my "real life" friends have 500+ Facebook friends, but probably hang out with and associate with under 20, maybe under 10, in real life. That I don't get.

I'd say you're better off without it, but as you yourself have observed, without it you may feel outside. It's not something that's going to go away.

I definitely see the inverse relationship between online friends and real friends. One daughter has a fair amount of friends and a few on Facebook. The other has nearly abandoned all of her real friends but has over a thousand! on Facebook.

My son uses his for political discussions, which frequently get him in trouble with his mother.

Also hear the kids whine about "Facebook stalking" when they announce a new relationship and then others go to new friends page to see who they are. Oh the drama. Too much drama for me.

THIS site is the anti-social networking site. Everyone here seems to hate the very idea of communicating with other people, or even that other people are allowed to exist (and thing differently even!) on their perfect earth.

Get over yourselves. It's just a site. Join or don't, nobody cares.

Oh. Sorry. In future I will try to be as friendly as you are.

OldSaw

The wife's investment

Get over yourselves. It's just a site. Join or don't, nobody cares. I have a FB page and I don't put every thing on it. If I want others to see something, I post, otherwise I don't. It's optional. See? Not a plot to let those damn kids walk on your lawn. We all thought Clint's character in Gran Torino was cool but it was a movie. Move on.

Hi and welcome to B&B.

Check out some of the shaving threads. They can be very informative and sometimes we even have a little fun.

Top Bottom