What's new

All around ink for everyday use

lasta

Blade Biter
I used to swear by Rohrer & Klinger Scabiosa. Nowadays, I mostly fill up with Hero 232. Slightly darker shade, but works equally well, even on lesser quality paper.

Both iron gall, but no problems with pen damage yet. I have a Sailor Professional Gear inked up with it for 5 years straight.

Is your need a permanent ink or is it ok if it is not? What color?
Some ideas of inks
Non-permanent:
  • Parker Quink Black, Blue-Black
  • Waterman Serenity Blue
  • Pelikan 4001 Black, Blue-Black, Blue
  • Lamy Black, Blue-Black, Blue
  • Rohrer & Klingner Koenigsblau
  • Diamine Onyx black, Sapphire blue, Majestic Blue etc etc etc
  • Many many many inks here
Permanent:
  • Rohrer & Klingner Salix or Scabiosa (iron gall inks)
  • Platinum Carbon Black (pigmented)
  • De Atramentis document ink. Any of the colors
  • Diamine registrars ink (very dry though) (iron gall)
  • Noodler's Black
Easiest inks to clean is the standard non-permanent inks. For plain vanilla inks I would go with any of the Parker, Pelikan, Lamy or Waterman ones.

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Looking for an all around ink I can use as an everyday ink for note taking.

A) Different pens favour different inks. Some pens need wetter inks than others, to suit the nib and feed flow rate.

B) Paper makes a difference too, and some ink recommendations might bleed or feather, if the don't suit what you're writing on.

C} My go to inks are mostly Diamine, but not the registrars ink. As such, my preferences aren't colourfast, which could be a deal breaker for some folks. I don't need waterproof, nor the maintenance issues should a pen dry out from infrequent use.

So frankly, we don't have a lot to go on here. Almost any ink might fit the bill, if the rest of the equation is conducive to it.

That being said... I'm going to suggest Parker Quink Black. If it doesn't work well for you, it's a well known ink that could be a good signpost to work from. It's also inexpensive. If after a couple of weeks, you feel "It's doing this, and I need it to do that", people here will no doubt be able to steer you better than they can right now, as the will have a better appreciation if which direction you should aim from that datum.

I guess I'm sort of the odd man out, using fairly standard blue, black, blue/black, and red. I know, boring stuff. 😄

So I generally don't go for specific color hues, or exotic colors, and mostly use the pen manufacturers ink: TWSBI ink in my TWSBI pens, Pilot ink in my Metro, etc.

I'm sure there are better inks, but my approach feels like a "safe" choice and I've gotten great performance in everyday use - no skipping or splotching.

I do have a couple bottles of Noodler's that I've used in my Lamy pens and some o-ring conversions, and it works great and is economical.

Top Bottom