What's new

Advice needed: FPV racing drone for beginner

Eben Stone

Staff member
I'm interested in getting a FPV racing drone. I'm a beginner with absolutely zero experience. But I know I don't want the traditional cinematic drone (or whatever they're called) with a screen. I want FPV with the goggles. I would prefer a kit instead of piecemeal, but I wouldn't mind building the drone from the ground up.

I want to avoid buying crappy junk just to save money because I'm a beginner and then have to replace it all a month later because I've already outgrown it. I'd rather have my money well spent on the best bang for the buck hardware that reasonable for a beginner. I'm willing to practice. I'm expecting to spend something in the ballpark of $500 to $1500.

Some makes/models that have caught my interest:

BetaFPV Cetus Pro
BetaFPV Aquila 16
BetaFPV Pavo25
EMax Tinyhawk III Plus
GEPRC
Axis
Flywoo Flylens 75 HD

I know I will need a better charger, extra batteries, maybe a Lipo battery bag.

Anything I should know? What to look for? What to avoid?

Thanks.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Watching with interest! Good luck and links welcome... I want one to help scout local woods very dense places from above...

AA

Eben Stone

Staff member
Watching with interest! Good luck and links welcome... I want one to help scout local woods very dense places from above...

AA
I'm obviously no expert, but I don't think a FPV racing drone is going to work well for hovering and looking down from above. The cameras on those typically look straight ahead. But there are racing drones that have multiple cameras, one for piloting and the other typically a 360° camera.

I have two relatives that have drones, one uses a DJI "Mini 2" for work for taking photos of telephone poles and electrical equipment, the other a DJI "Air 2" just for fun.

I played around with my nephew's Air 2 for a few minutes. It can hover perfectly and when you get it a few feet away from the ground you press a button and it lands itself. My nephew said he bought it so he can take videos of himself snowboarding because its supposed to track and follow him down the hills through the trees. I have no idea if he ever got that to work.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Buddy had a DJI for serious photo work, and the racing ones are going to be a blast. I need a "scout" drone, lol.

We bought a DJI clone for brother in law, and I thought even the clone's quality was pretty good.

AA

Top Bottom