What's new

A newbie’s journey into DE shaving

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Even the LOTH made a remark regarding the state of my skin.

My better half could tell every time I used my AC razor at a neutral angle last month. It felt a little scratchier than I wanted in use, but every time I did it, I was asked about my “new technique.”

@cranewarrior , I don’t think a DE blade is getting its sides sputtered with titanium nitride. It might be the PTFE coating is too thick. Have heard similar about the comfort coating on USA-made Personnas.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I thought I was going to have two new razors from which to choose for today's shave... but alas... They won't show up until tomorrow or Wednesday... and we'll be down helping out with our granddaughter..

So today? What to do? I decided to use the Athena with a Tweet Dura Sharp in the blue packaging. The Athena seems to be blade agnostic so it's a pretty good choice to try out a new blade.

On the wife front... I used my bronze Wolfman WR2 0.95 on my last shave.... My wife asked me what I did differently... She said.. my face was shiny. It was a wonderful and close shave... comfortable... It was nice that she noticed.

I am excited about the new scratch and dent Timeless SS 0.68OC with the Ti Crown handle that will be here when we get home. I'll get the Ti 0.68OC on BST Wednesday, so if it sells quickly, I'll be able to get it into the mail system.

@Balin generously sent me a Canada Tech with the nickel plating still in tact. After I see it on Wednesday night, I'll be able to determine is any of the details were worn off the Canada Tech I bought from Netherland on Etsy. I suspect it's been polished down to the brass and how aggressive the polishing was might clearly be seen or not... I'm hoping the details in the handle weren't damaged in the process and I can contact the seller and ask him what he thinks without any fuss... If the details have all been polished off? Man, I don't know what to do, exactly.

That brushes look amazing, nice job on those by your dad. Is he also a DE shaver.
Thanks! He sort of is. He has a full beard and uses a DE for edging. At least, that was the plan, but he’s sometimes afraid to use the KCG I gave him. Even his grandson is DE shaving since his 16th birthday last year (my son uses a Gillette Slim), but he seems to stick to carts…can’t mess with free will.

Date02.04.2024
366 daily shaves
093/366

RazorBladeBrush
Swing SBDurable Sharp Titanium (2)Abe’s Brush Works Big Oak G5C
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (75)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)6/10 (Razor Sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.5/10
(DFS+++)
7/10 (More comfortable)

Notes:

Summary. Another superb brush and excellent razor for today’s shave. Class act.

Razor and blade. So taking a razor with a bigger gap to see if this indeed improves performance. The Swing is a magnificent razor and just super effective yet smooth and comfortable (if you mind your pressure and taking it slow). Seriously, with this razor you need almost nothing else. The blade behaved better today and I have increased its sharpness score although I could also state that it’s sharp but harsher sharp, so it might be both aspects at play. Much better shave in the Swing. Comfort was slightly up and still much to be desired.

Brush and lather. Another excellent brush! Very comfortabele in the hand and the knot by @apshaveco is fabulous. Glad to be more and more face lathering and really experiencing brush feel. The G5C knot is softly firm. Very close to the Semogue Finest I have so almost badger like.

Technique. Deliberately being consistent in my pattern again and it works like a charm. I am currently exploring performing XTG with a slanted hold so that I am actually shaving XATG - the last couple of shaves turned out to be 2-ish passes to DFS+ levels.

Enjoy your shave!

Date03.04.2024
366 daily shaves
094/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette NEW RFBDurable Sharp Titanium (3)Abe’s Brush Works Smokey Bandit
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (76)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)5/10 (Sharp)
8.5/10
(DFS+++)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Summary. In the end an excellent shave with a mild yet ultimately effective razor. Another superb brush by my dad!

Razor and blade. Lucky find on the bay last year. It has a mismatched handle (but I use different handles anyway) and the seller has calculated that into the pricing. Sweet deal. The razor is (very?) mild but my standard and for an open comb doesn’t really show it’s teeth (at all). Still a nice razor to use so let’s see how it does with this particular blade. Blade is going on 3 shaves now and my guess is that it’s not going to last that long. Still sharp mind you, but comfort levels have been fluctuating and therefore decided to pair it with a milder razor to balance the harshness. I have decreased the sharpness score as I feel stubble returning relatively early on in the day. Smoothness increased somewhat, but that could also be on the account of the razor. Interestingly enough I had the idea the shave was okish during passes, but the end result was acutally very smooth and nicelly close. So this razor is effective, just not in one pass or one go like others are.

Brush and lather. Third brush by my dad. This one houses a 26mm SilkSmoke knot by @apshaveco. I know my dad has out in the hours making these handles and it shows. It feels I should say. Very natural to hold, great grip and excellent craftsmanship (yes I know, he’s my dad, but I also know this to be true - he doesn’t stop at just ok. He wants things to be excellent). The knot itself is great too. Very soft and as the name rightly suggests silky. Very much like the RR400, @Jay21 :wink2:. Loading was easy and so was face lathering. I just love this process!

Technique. Plain vanilla. Follow my beard map again. My preshave routine confirmed the growth direction shown now as I rubbed and scrubbed my face with KCG Face Wash. I adjusted my shave direction slightly with this additional information, providing me with a closer shave on the cheeks especially. The upward directed Gillette Slant stroke adds to that efficiency.

Enjoy your shave!

Ya know, you should get your dad some polyester turning blanks. When I was turning brush handles, I used a variety of materials. My favourites were using the polys. You spun them, created your shapes, polished and that was it. No special finishes needed and they looked great.

Ya know, you should get your dad some polyester turning blanks. When I was turning brush handles, I used a variety of materials. My favourites were using the polys. You spun them, created your shapes, polished and that was it. No special finishes needed and they looked great.
Maybe Bernd at Shavemac will sell you some of blanks now that configurator is closed! Oooppps that might be a GRUYERE violation. :devil: I sure hope he doesn't dispose of his blanks before 2025....just under 9 long months to go :devil2:

Ya know, you should get your dad some polyester turning blanks.
He has already experimented with those, but not to his satisfaction. I saw a rod standing in the corner. He had the idea of having more control over the process using wood.
Maybe Bernd at Shavemac will sell you some of blanks now that configurator is closed! Oooppps that might be a GRUYERE violation.
O Ye of little faith! I have even turned down a very generous and kind PIF for some great knots to eliminate temptation. And because a certain someone of Canadian descent had already very kindly and generously send me 4(!) brushes already.

I have been working on an idea for an Etsy store for my dad and get @apshaveco on board as brush supplier. I am unsure how wooden handles are perceived though (fully shellacked).

By the way @Jay21 - I checked the setting of the knots again and I believe he has indeed set them at just below the plastic base of the knots and simply made sure the hole was a snug fit - that’s why I cannot see those bases.

Cheers,

Guido

Date04.04.2024
366 daily shaves
095/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette Red TipDurable Sharp Titanium (4)Abe’s Brush Works Saturn Synbad
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (77)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)5/10 (Sharp)
8.5/10
(DFS+++)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Summary. Easy and close shave with the gorgeous Red Tip and a 4th fabulous brush by my dad.

Razor and blade. The blade is on its 4th shave which technically is more than I estimated this blade to handle, but that’s no indication that the blade is starting to smoothen out or anything. The razor has bite to it and was a good combination with the blade for a smooth and close shave.

Brush and lather. Fourth and last dad brush for the moment. The Synbad knot is silky soft yet still very capable of whipping up a lather even though there is lack of backbone. Not much but noticeable. Lather was again fantastic like it had been for a large number of shaves now. Mike’s is just an awesome soap.

Technique. Steady. Slowly but surely I feel I am really getting the hang of my pattern and I like it!

Other news. In case you have a Gold Dollar razor tucked away somewhere or wannab want to give straight razors a go, B&B’s annual Gold Dollar Mod Competition might be just the thing for you.

Enjoy your shave!

He has already experimented with those, but not to his satisfaction. I saw a rod standing in the corner. He had the idea of having more control over the process using wood.
Ok...I found them very easy to use. I think where the problem might be is in the polishing etc. You really need extremely fine grit papers/pads up to 4000 etc to buff the handles while they're on the lathe. But if he prefers wood...well there's nothing wrong with that...you could say he "wooden" have it any other way...BADABOOM! I'll just move along now.

Yes so far so good! And they are pretty much all fantastic! My BAD was more or less non existing until…well you know…
It happens.gif

Top Bottom