What's new

A Good Pocket Knife

(edit: added pics)

If I feel the need to carry a knife, it's either

light duty) Schrade "Old Timer" "junior stockman" penknife, 3 blades.

That's a nice solid carbon steel bladed knife. my dad gave it to me when I was 10 years old for my birthday, and I still keep it around today. I love the grey color of a well-kept carbon steel...I feel it adds character to a blade.

proxy.php

heavy duty) Benchmade Panther, plain edge clip-point.

This is my "tank"...it's been used and abused, and it holds up great. This is also the only plain edge one I have ever seen in person, the bulk of them being combination serrated/plain edges. I rarely carry it though, since I find carrying a tactical folder a bit overkill.

proxy.php

I also have a Case XX "whittler" stag handled folding knife that I need to do some rust removal on before I can use it for any carry. It will make a nice middleweight knife when done. It's similar to the Old Timer, just quite a bit larger.

Here's a pic of another stag case whittler...mine has a nicer looking dark stag handles and lacks the plating on the ends:
proxy.php

If you want a great folding pocket knife that you can whip out in a flash, try this knife by benchmade. its a thumb assist model, which means with a flick of your thumb the blade springs out as fast as an automatic knife ( its legal) to own.
Oh the cost about $100.00 same as a good badger brush

Wickedest "tactical" (or otherwise) folding knife I have ever carried:
proxy.php

picture lifted from their website, here: http://www.emersonknives.com/
If you want to spend a little more, I cannot recommend Emerson's knives enough. Built like a tank, cuts like crazy, made from U.S. made 154CM steel, sharpens easily and holds an edge. Had to cut some thick ropes with it the first week I had it. I was just astounded as the knife snipped through the rope as if it were a piece of thread. Instantly all the guys wanted to see the knife....:biggrin:
John P.

For work: a Schrade-Walden Stockman with 2 blades--a Turkish clip and a Spey. It has a drill that is perfect for cleaning out around zirc fittings.

For dress: a Case seahorse shape with a Wharncliff, Spey and pen blades.

A guy without a pocket knife might as well hand in his Man card. To me it's almost required equipment. Not a 'Multi-Tool', not a pen knife. A KNIFE.

Moustache Man

My preference would be a Gerber knife.

While there are certainly fancier and more expensive knives available, I'd say Gerber are top-notch when it comes to getting the best bang for your buck. I own an E-Z Out and a Gator knife, and they both hone razor sharp and hold their edges well. They've absorbed plenty of abuse over the years and have proven to be extremely durable. They also have comfortable and reliable grips. And since they're reasonably priced, I wouldn't lose any sleep if I were to lose 'em.

My preference would be a Gerber knife.

While there are certainly fancier and more expensive knives available, I'd say Gerber are top-notch when it comes to getting the best bang for your buck. I own an E-Z Out and a Gator knife, and they both hone razor sharp and hold their edges well. They've absorbed plenty of abuse over the years and have proven to be extremely durable. They also have comfortable and reliable grips. And since they're reasonably priced, I wouldn't lose any sleep if I were to lose 'em.

Good stuff. My EDC for a while was a Gerber Hersey Air Ranger. Lightweight, but sturdy, and amazingly grippy with checkered Al scales. Great little knife.

-Mo

I'm under the impression that the knife carry laws are pretty strict here, so I just bought a Spyderco Navigator 2. I think its small enough to look benign and carry comfortably in my pocket, but still seems to have enough blade for most jobs day to day. So far so good.

Jordan

If you want a great folding pocket knife that you can whip out in a flash, try this knife by benchmade. its a thumb assist model, which means with a flick of your thumb the blade springs out as fast as an automatic knife ( its legal) to own.
Oh the cost about $100.00 same as a good badger brush

I had one up for sale here in the Sale forums a while back. Fantastic, fun knife. It just wasn't getting any pocket time as the blade length was a bit too long for me to carry on the military installation I work on. That and the fact I got a small Sebenza :)

The Knifemakers Guild lists makers of folding knives and Jess Horn of Red Bluff, CA is one of the best. They have been called "Pocket Jewelry" and are also very functional.

great topic.

i use a kershaw assisted opening for my "blue jeans" days
a CRKT 1" blacked out skeleton w/ 24k accents for dress wear
and my batangas made balisong on the days when my kershaw would rather stay home.

I love knives, and have had some great ones. never expensive ones though. My butterfly cost an astounding 6 USD, and it has bone accents on the handles.

I'll be getting my first REAL victorinox soon. A simple one but I've always wanted one.

When I was a kid we'd buy imitation ones and go out into the park to make bows and arrows and swordsticks and treehuts with them. I've had at least 5 of them and they used to fall apart all the time. I'd love to get a quality one. in the future I might even get it customized or customize it myself once I get a workshop.

In my opinion, you're hard pressed to beat the Sebenza! They are on the pricey side but that are da bomb! Any problems, just send them back to Chris Reeve and he will take care of it including any tune-up needs and sharpening for free. Great customer service and one tough knife.

Large Sebenza bocote wood inlay
Small Sebenza African blackwood inlay
Small Sebenza bocote wood inlay

full

My brother has one just like that top one, except it's like a foot long and weighs a friggin TON!

Last edited by a moderator:
I always carry a pocket knife as I have about 30 and they vary by occassion.
Some are dressy and some are casual. My collection is primarily Spyderco and Benchmade.

Top Bottom