What's new

4 sided strop vs Barber hone

Hello,

From what I understand, these perform similair functions. A "finishing" edge before your canvas/leather stropping.

What are the functional differences between the barber hone and 4 sided strop? Why would an individual purchase one over the other?

All I can think of, is the 4 sided paste strop offers you 4 different "grits" where the barber hone only offers you one. Why would you need 4 different grits anyways?

-Crisp:huh:

Well, that's a bit of a loaded question. Why 4 grits? To perform a progression.

It's not a practice I follow, but it is apparently quite common in Europe to set a bevel with a stone, and then perform the polishing progression with variously pasted strops. The paddle provides support and eliminates (or at least greatly reduces) ay deflection that might be present in a hanging strop.
As they say: "all roads lead to Rome" It comes down to personal prefference, what your budget can afford (stones aren't cheap, but then neither are some pastes and strops), and what you want to do.

Thanks for the response. Man, that 4 sided strop business sure seems like a lot of work! That must produce one hell of an edge. I am talking LIGHTSABER type of stuff.

Myself being a newb, I believe I will seek out a canvas/leather strop and a barbers hone. That was recommended to me in another thread, and after reading up on the shavingplace wiki articles, still seems my best bet.

I simply want to MAINTAIN my yet to be purchased razors edge, not restore anything.

-Crisp:thumbup1:

I suggest you read this before you buy your barbers hone.

http://www.thiers-issard.co.uk/SharpeninginstructionsDiamond.pdf

This explains the use of Thiers Issard diamond pastes, with particular reference to use of a 4 sided strop. It's an alternative to using a barbers hone.

You certainly need a strop for daily use, and a hanging strop would be best. I'm not sure how easy it is to buy a barbers hone, how available they are these days. These pastes (which I do use) are an alternative which, using 1 micron, 0.25 micron and ChromOx, give you a maintenance regime.

When I was starting out, I had much more success with a 4 sided paddle than a barber's hone. Some gents would put down pastes as cheating but that doesn't change the fact that they are effective, easy to use and produce a nice edge when used correctly.

Although I have all kinds of hones now, I still use pastes from time to time.

Last edited:
Geeziz, seems the more I learn the more I find I do not know. Off to read the provided link!

Thank you all for answering what must seem to you like pedestrian questions. I promise I have read the wiki articles.
-Crisp

Geeziz, seems the more I learn the more I find I do not know. Off to read the provided link!

Thank you all for answering what must seem to you like pedestrian questions. I promise I have read the wiki articles.
-Crisp

:thumbup1:

None of us were born knowing this stuff.

Top Bottom