ezgif-5-5d10000edb.jpg

or
Rowan Atkinson.....
ezgif-5-2f76c0a697.jpg

ezgif-5-a8df49f6e0.jpg

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I like the Mark Ruffalo choice... but if you would do it, I think Robert Downey Jr. has the chops for it. I almost agree: There is no current replacement for Peter Faulk... he made Columbo his own.

Count me with those who think it is usually better to leave classics well alone.

It isn't even that remakes are necessarily bad. The remake of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, starring Gary Oldman, is an excellent movie. But Alec Guinness will always be George Smiley to me.

Back in April of 2020, there was an exchange between Natasha Lyonne and Mark Ruffalo about portraying Columbo.

View attachment 1810406

View attachment 1810407
Her show, Poker Face, pretty much IS a modern day Columbo. While not set in the same universe or with the same characters It’s a very well done “detective” show run by Rian Johnson. It’s clearly a lovingly made homage to the original. For reasons explained in the first episode she travels across the U.S. on the run. The season maintains an overarching storyline, but in each episode she solves a different case along the way. My wife and I really enjoyed it and look forward to season 2. The only real negative is that it airs on Peacock.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Her show, Poker Face, pretty much IS a modern day Columbo. While not set in the same universe or with the same characters It’s a very well done “detective” show run by Rian Johnson. It’s clearly a lovingly made homage to the original. For reasons explained in the first episode she travels across the U.S. on the run. The season maintains an overarching storyline, but in each episode she solves a different case along the way. My wife and I really enjoyed it and look forward to season 2. The only real negative is that it airs on Peacock.
I've no issue with Hollywood doing stories which are similar or even based off a character, such as is the case with Poker Face.
My issue with Hollywood is when they want to take a beloved movie series/TV series and change the essential character.
I know these are fictional characters, but there is precedent set for the character, and that formula ought to be followed.
I wish that they would dig deep and come up with a little originality and create characters for the future that have their own story line such as Poker Face rather than re-imagining and casting Columbo as a woman.
That's what I found amusing about Mark Ruffalo mentioning that he wanted to play Agatha Christie. Right on point, and such a production would rightly deserve to be ridiculed.
I know that actors are "actors", and if they wanted to get a man made up as a woman, or a woman made up as a man to play a character - well... that's what actors do. But to change the canon of a character by purposefully changing the sex or race of the character for no other reason except to fulfill some sense of diversity is a mistake that has doomed numerous remakes.
Actors act. Writers are supposed to write. Come up with your own stories and leave traditional characters alone.

I've no issue with Hollywood doing stories which are similar or even based off a character, such as is the case with Poker Face.
My issue with Hollywood is when they want to take a beloved movie series/TV series and change the essential character.
I know these are fictional characters, but there is precedent set for the character, and that formula ought to be followed.
I wish that they would dig deep and come up with a little originality and create characters for the future that have their own story line such as Poker Face rather than re-imagining and casting Columbo as a woman.
That's what I found amusing about Mark Ruffalo mentioning that he wanted to play Agatha Christie. Right on point, and such a production would rightly deserve to be ridiculed.
I know that actors are "actors", and if they wanted to get a man made up as a woman, or a woman made up as a man to play a character - well... that's what actors do. But to change the canon of a character by purposefully changing the sex or race of the character for no other reason except to fulfill some sense of diversity is a mistake that has doomed numerous remakes.
Actors act. Writers are supposed to write. Come up with your own stories and leave traditional characters alone.
Oh I agree. I was just pointing out Poker Face for those who may not know about it. I grew up watching Columbo, Murder She Wrote, Matlock, etc. with my parents and find Poker Face to be a lot of fun in that same vein. I doubt I’d have ever watched the first episode of a Columbo reboot with character changes to fit Lyonne, though.

Top Bottom