What's new

2" TM Strops and the next best thing?

Doesn't seem like Tony Miller will be making strops anytime soon. What is the next best thing in a 2" two sided Strop? I have a Dovo 2" two sided strop.

Though not 2-sided, I would contact Ambrose about a strop. They are well regarded here and I absolutely love mine.

after a very, very, very, very brief comparison.

Ambrose 2.5" HH vs TM 3" HH.

My first 3" Strop and I will NEVER buy any other width. I could strop in my sleep on this thing. That said...

Cost? Well the seller was a B&B who didn't jack up the price on my TM so I paid $120. My Ambrose (hopefully he can confirm) was I believe $70 or $80.

Leather? Believe it or not, Ambrose wins this HANDILY. His leather is twice as thick and just seeps quality.

Finish? Tony strikes back. The finish on the TM is a work of art. It has patterning the likes of which I'm used to seeing on handsome coticule rocks. Ambrose is no slouch, but the TM demonstrates why TM has the reputation he does.

Gear? Both are top notch

Draw? Ambrose has a good bit more draw. TM is closer to my Vintage Dubl Duck Russian Shell Cordovan than my other HH strops. Which is better is personal preference. I like them both.

Shave? Can't compare yet. Still haven't shaved off the TM.

So if you don't want to wait until you see a TM come around for sale (and possibly pay a premium) the Ambrose is an excellent alternative. I've shaved a few dozen times off it, and it's my daily strop despite having a few NOS vintages (including that ~$150 valued DD Cordo).

I second Ambrose's strops. He's a wonderful guy to deal with and the strops are top notch... However, I believe the horsehide you're referring to is Jose's Spanish Horsehide.... That no longer is available. However he is starting a run of very promising regular horsehide (already ordered mine :D)

An alternative to Ambrose would be SRD (Straight Razor Designs). Their strops have the same design as TMs, and are on the same par for quality (although they don't have the same hand-finished touch... for example, the edges of Tony's strops have a double row... Doesn't do much, but it looks nice). Performance wise, they're on the same tier, Latigo-to-latigo, etc.... However, I must say that SRD's English Bridle (Premium IV) and the Premium I are two of the finest strops I've ever used. I also got their horsehide. The surface felt a little odd, but that's because it was trapped in the humidity on campus over the long weekend without me being able to pick it up... Some laps with a glass bottle and it's stropping smooooth) Also, if you want that REALLY slick, fresh horsehide feel, but you don't want the horsehide strop, go with the Premium II.

So, you've got a gamut of choices, but I'd recommend Ambrose or SRD, all the way.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
after a very, very, very, very brief comparison.

Cost? Well the seller was a B&B who didn't jack up the price on my TM so I paid $120. My Ambrose (hopefully he can confirm) was I believe $70 or $80.

My 3" Horsehide/Genuine Linen with the Handles typically sold for $111.95, my last run was $115.95 as I paid a bit more for a special batch of horsehide for this last run.

Thank you for the compliemnts on my workmanship. I put a lot of my heart and soul into crafting these and the finsih I required is why I was never able for contract out my labor, other than having my Amish friends die cut my handles. You just cannot make someone else care for your own product they was you do yourself.

Tony

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
An alternative to Ambrose would be SRD (Straight Razor Designs). Their strops have the same design as TMs, and are on the same par for quality (although they don't have the same hand-finished touch... for example, the edges of Tony's strops have a double row... Doesn't do much, but it looks nice).

Thanks Jeremy. I do finish my edges differently than some others do. I always bevel the back edges and round the front edges as it reduces the sharp edge which to me, seems it could catch on the razors edge more easily. The decorative bead is simply a decoration but is made by the tool I use to round the front edge. I also align all the screw heads, again no functional difference, but to me it is the difference between doing a job and doing it all the way. It's all in the details for me.

I am very picky about the look of my leather as well. Any flaws that I can detect relegate it to the "practice strop" pile, not the name brand strops.

For the future, when I am ready (months from now....please do not even ask :001_rolle) I will head in a different direction, basically making the type of strop I prefer to use.... the 2" and 2 1/2" "Original" Old School types I first started with 6 years ago. It is unlikely I will do any of the wide models or my Artisan series again

I have seen some wonderful looking strop on the forum from both "Screaming Pig" and Ambrose. I would be glad to own either.

Tony

I always thought it was kind of strange to contract the task of making strops from guys with 5'' beards.....:001_huh:

Some carpentry tools get stropped... so not really.

That said, if TM doesn't ever bring back the three inch wide versions of his strops I will have to clutch mine like a madman and cackle insanely if anyone ever tries to wrench it from my grasp. I love the width. Funny actually, because I prefer thinner stones.

Some carpentry tools get stropped... so not really.

That said, if TM doesn't ever bring back the three inch wide versions of his strops I will have to clutch mine like a madman and cackle insanely if anyone ever tries to wrench it from my grasp. I love the width. Funny actually, because I prefer thinner stones.

Yes, but you don't shave with them..:001_smile

those are wonderful words to hear from you tony, I currently have been looking for a 2" strop as this is the size i started with and cant seem to get away from. I can and will wait and shall not ask when. oh please santa! ive been good!

Ian

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
For the future, when I am ready (months from now....please do not even ask :001_rolle) I will head in a different direction, basically making the type of strop I prefer to use.... the 2" and 2 1/2" "Original" Old School types I first started with 6 years ago.

Tony

I can't can wait- the 2 1/2"ers are the best. :thumbup1:

Best of luck!

For the future, when I am ready (months from now....please do not even ask :001_rolle) I will head in a different direction, basically making the type of strop I prefer to use.... the 2" and 2 1/2" "Original" Old School types I first started with 6 years ago. It is unlikely I will do any of the wide models or my Artisan series again

Tony

I can't can wait- the 2 1/2"ers are the best. :thumbup1:

Best of luck!

I'm with Ouch on this one... I have a TM Latigo and TM horsehide, both in 3" as that used to be my preference... Now, I'm all over the 2.5s... I have GOT to get a 2.5 in TM horsehide...

And Ambrose Horsehide...

And Neil Miller's horsehide...

And...

Crud.

EDIT: Before the PMs flood in... No, my 3" TMs are not for sale... I'd rather have them in 2.5, but you're never prying these babies out of my hands. I'm going to go join Ian, cackling and strop-clutching

I don't know where the OP is located, if in the US, I understand that it's more sane to get one "locally"
But in the EU, there is another Miller who makes absolutely excellent strops, namely Neil Miller @ the Strop Shop in UK.
I have one of his buffalo/linen strops & it's o-so-good!

He has a variety of widths & leathers.

I can highly recommend his work! (<-non-paid statement)

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I always thought it was kind of strange to contract the task of making strops from guys with 5'' beards.....:001_huh:

I thought the same thing. The Amish do shave though. They shave both cheeks and upper lips, a standard (the believer's beard) worn by all Amish, many Beachy and some Mennonites and Brethren like me. Even the older Amish use disposable razors though for this task.

Many of my friends are harness makers, so are very good at leather work and with better equiped shops than mine so it was natural to have them make the detail pieces like caps and handles. Being a skilled leather worker though does not mean one understands what works for stropping though. Another issue was quality of work. While very skilled with leather, the harnesses they make are tools for function alone. Small scars, etc.... are fine in a harness but not in a strop. Cutting around scars just seemed a waste of good leather to them.

Many were interested in the idea of sharpening their woodworking tools on them though.

Tony

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
EDIT: Before the PMs flood in... No, my 3" TMs are not for sale... I'd rather have them in 2.5, but you're never prying these babies out of my hands

If I ever see you selling 1/2" strops, I'll know what you did with them.

If I ever see you selling 1/2" strops, I'll know what you did with them.

:lol:

I can see it happen in a 100 years from now.

Just look at the prices people pay for a tiny Escher these days.

In the year 2100 people will pay a fortune for a 1/2" strip off a TM Horsehie :lol:
Someone will run into a box of NOS TM's, cut them up in small strips & sell them on eBay...

Top Bottom