What's new

2 Antique Store Finds

I bought both of these in the same antique store about 3/4 of a year ago. The place was going out of business and had mad markdowns on everything and I scored some great straights at the same time, paying next to nothing for the whole lot.

Anyway, I bought the butterscotch to restore with a new knot and the Aristocrat was just a beauty sitting there that I couldn't pass up even if I have no plans for it.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I was wondering if you guys had some info on the Aristocrats, like who made them and when (timeframe - maybe)? This one looks to be wood with what feels like a badger knot.

If anyone happens to know anything about the butterscotch brush I'd love to hear what you have on that as well.

Dave

Last edited:
I can tell you the aristocrat is boar not badger. And that it looks similar in design to a West German Nobility Brush I have.

Attachments

• $Nobility 2.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 178
That sure is similar. So it's boar then? I was (am) surprised by how soft it is and thus my jump to thinking it was badger. Thanks for the info!

Those are both beautiful. The butterscotch handle, which is particularly lovely, and should polish up beautifully says "made especially for B. Altman, which was a very nice chain of department stores, alas, now only apart of nostalgia.

Those are both beautiful. The butterscotch handle, which is particularly lovely, and should polish up beautifully says "made especially for B. Altman, which was a very nice chain of department stores, alas, now only apart of nostalgia.

I just finished pulling/drilling/scraping/hammering the old knot out and gave it a once over with Flitz. It's looking like a shiny old penny, very nice.

I couldn't exactly read, even under magnification, what the writing said but after reading your post I can clearly see it, go figure!

Thanks for the information! I'm off to read up on B. Altman & Co :)

PS - Have you seen this mark before or could you just read it?

I'd love to see a photo of your betterscotch restoration when you're finished. Nice finds!

Top Bottom