What's new

1st DE SHAVE - QUESTIONS

After getting my 1960 Speed Shave Flare Tip and all of my stuff in I finally had my first DE shave today. I started with a Derby blade, TSD cream, a soft pure badger brush (vintage Fuller), and I followed everyone's advice. I used no pressure, let the blade do the work and shaved WTG. There was only one thing missing - blood! :thumbup: A pleasant surprise! Actually just a small nick right below my moustache, right next to the corner of my mouth, but that's a sensitive area anyway. Overall I was very pleased. Not the closest shave I've ever had, but of course it was all WTG. And I think it's actually closer than a WTG shave with a cartridge.
My only complaint is that it wasn't real smooth gliding or comfortable when shaving, and I'm blaming that on the TSD shave cream. It was difficult to develop a dense lather with it and there was very little cushion and slickness between the blade and my face. Most of the lather kept absorbing into the brush instead of the mug and I had to squeeze it out now and then. I can't imagine shaving ATG with this cream. I tried various amounts of water when mixing so it wouldn't be too dry or too wet also. I also have Col. Conk and Van Der Hagen soaps, and a Conk mixed bristle/badger brush which is somewhat stiffer.
Questions:
1. Would the Col. Conk or Van Der Hagen soap provide a better cushion and a more slick surface and protection on my face than this cream does?
2. Or would a stiffer brush used with the TSD cream work better?
Thanks!

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I used a best badger brush today with Van Der Hagen and got wonderful lather (as usual with this soap) and a pretty damn good shave with a straight in my beginner hands.
I can't speak for the soap you used before, but the VDH is quite good.

I can't speak for the soap you used before, but the VDH is quite good.

+1

I have boatloads of products to choose from on a daily basis (somewhere around 15-20 currently; I am a bit overstocked), and I still use VDH Deluxe at least once a week.

It generates a wonderful lather, that is very protecting, and I actually like the scent. :thumbup1:

Nothing at all wrong with VDH. :tongue_sm

Last edited:
I would look at a better blade than the Derby for a smoother shave instead of different creams/soaps. Derby's can be inconsistent and this may be the cause of the issues you describe.

Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge, Iridiums, or Perma-sharp Supers are very good blades. Westcoastshaving or melyus can help you out with single packs of these blades.

+1

I have boatloads of products to choose from on a daily basis (somewhere around 15-20 currently; I am a bit overstocked), and I still use VDH Deluxe at least once a week.

It generates a wonderful lather, that is very protecting, and I actually like the scent. :thumbup1:

Nothing at all wrong with VDH. :tongue_sm
I think that if the VDH was $19.99 instead of $1.99 I would have tried it first (Ha Ha). I'm definitely going to open the VDH and give it a go. My goal is to narrow it down to 1 razor, one blade, one brush, one soap and one after shave (Aqua Velva- that part is easy). Sometimes the simpler the better. Thanks!

I would look at a better blade than the Derby for a smoother shave instead of different creams/soaps. Derby's can be inconsistent and this may be the cause of the issues you describe.

Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge, Iridiums, or Perma-sharp Supers are very good blades. Westcoastshaving or melyus can help you out with single packs of these blades.
I have some Gillette 7 o'clock sharp edges but I heard they weren't very forgiving for beginners so I was saving them for a while. I also I have some Sharks, what do you think of them vs Derby's?

The use of which blade for the shave is very personal. It's all YMMV with that. Get a sampler pack from Westcoast Shaving and find one that is right for you. In the mean time keep using the Derby blades. They are good. And concentrate on your technique. As for Col. Conk and VDH. I rate VDH as being the better of the two. It's easy to lather and provides a good cushion for shaving. Definately give it a shot.

I think that if the VDH was $19.99 instead of $1.99 I would have tried it first (Ha Ha). I'm definitely going to open the VDH and give it a go. My goal is to narrow it down to 1 razor, one blade, one brush, one soap and one after shave (Aqua Velva- that part is easy). Sometimes the simpler the better. Thanks!

VDH is great beyond it's price. The scent is reminiscent of Gray Flannel, though not nearly as heavy or lasting. Great stuff :thumbup1:

I have some Gillette 7 o'clock sharp edges but I heard they weren't very forgiving for beginners so I was saving them for a while. I also I have some Sharks, what do you think of them vs Derby's?

I like the sharks quite a bit more than the Derby's. They are more consistent and seem sharper to me than the Derby's.

I tried the VDH today. Wow was I impressed. It had such a great cushion and was so slick that I jumped the gun and followed up WTG with ATG. A very close shave and just 1 small nick on the chin. The razor glided so smoothly that I was almost tempted to apply pressure. There were some areas that could've been closer but I still need more practice. I'm already thinking of moving from Derbys to Sharks but I think I'll wait for a while until my technique fully develops.

After getting my 1960 Speed Shave Flare Tip and all of my stuff in I finally had my first DE shave today. I started with a Derby blade, TSD cream, a soft pure badger brush (vintage Fuller), and I followed everyone's advice. I used no pressure, let the blade do the work and shaved WTG. There was only one thing missing - blood! :thumbup: A pleasant surprise! Actually just a small nick right below my moustache, right next to the corner of my mouth, but that's a sensitive area anyway. Overall I was very pleased. Not the closest shave I've ever had, but of course it was all WTG. And I think it's actually closer than a WTG shave with a cartridge.
My only complaint is that it wasn't real smooth gliding or comfortable when shaving, and I'm blaming that on the TSD shave cream. It was difficult to develop a dense lather with it and there was very little cushion and slickness between the blade and my face. Most of the lather kept absorbing into the brush instead of the mug and I had to squeeze it out now and then. I can't imagine shaving ATG with this cream. I tried various amounts of water when mixing so it wouldn't be too dry or too wet also. I also have Col. Conk and Van Der Hagen soaps, and a Conk mixed bristle/badger brush which is somewhat stiffer.
Questions:
1. Would the Col. Conk or Van Der Hagen soap provide a better cushion and a more slick surface and protection on my face than this cream does?
2. Or would a stiffer brush used with the TSD cream work better?
Thanks!
To be fair regarding my initial comments about the TSD cream, I did a practice whipping of it a second time and it turned out much better. Richer lather and very slick. I think the first time I used too little cream and/or too much water.

Top Bottom