What's new

really really stupid question, but... what is the difference between a sports coat and a suit coat?

A suit coat is part of a matching combination with trousers and sometimes a waistcoat (vest), all made from the same material. It is not designed to be worn other than as a part of a full outfit.

A sports coat is a jacket which can be worn with different trousers in less formal situations. The designs are often a bit more adventurous than those for a suit. It’s a stand-alone item of clothing, whereas a suit jacket is a component of a matching set. Hope that helps.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
A sports coat ... sometimes called a sports jacket ... has its origins in the days when men got dressed up for sporting.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Typically, a true "sports coat" will feature
  • a more casual/sporty fabric; tweed is a cold-weather favourite, but casual fabrics for all seasons are available
  • more design features included, usually of a casual/sporty nature. Look for things like bellows pockets, an action back, and the ability to flip the collar over and button up the collar all the way to the neck. (Often, many of these features are left off a modern sports coat in an effort to make it a more all-purpose jacket.)
  • a softer, more casual tailoring. In particular, look for a softer, less tailored shoulder.
Given all this, a sports coat is inherently more casual than other jackets. The degree to which it is more or less casual depends on the individual jacket, of course.

Then, there is a different beast, called an "Odd Jacket". Facing facts, the term is almost never used in common discourse, and guys mistakenly use "sports coat" instead. But an odd jacket is "a suit jacket made without matching pants and intended to be worn with other separate items".

proxy.php

Then there's the blazer ... almost always navy blue, and if you want to get all technical, with brass buttons. It takes its origins from naval uniforms, and tends to keep a fairly formal styling approach, so it a good choice for fairly formal attire.

proxy.php

Of course, these are broad distinctions ... and all those jackets out there are made on a broad spectrum, so there's lots of 'cross-overs' out there.

proxy.php

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
What those guys said. Seriously, those answers were perfect.

I'll only add that blazers are also often associated with membership in a group or club and that's where you'll usually striped blazers or colors other than navy. Like those horrendously fugly blazers you get for winning certain golf tournaments or being selected for a Hall of Fame. Or, perhaps more germane to B&B, a barbershop quartet!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
As sports coats go a nice Harris Tweed, in my opinion, can't be beat. They don't wrinkle. Survive the rain. Can be pared with dress or casual pants . . . even jeans. A good one is durable as heck.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
A sports coat ... sometimes called a sports jacket ... has its origins in the days when men got dressed up for sporting.

proxy.php

proxy.php

• a more casual/sporty fabric; tweed is a cold-weather favourite, but casual fabrics for all seasons are available
  • more design features included, usually of a casual/sporty nature. Look for things like bellows pockets, an action back, and the ability to flip the collar over and button up the collar all the way to the neck. (Often, many of these features are left off a modern sports coat in an effort to make it a more all-purpose jacket.)
  • a softer, more casual tailoring. In particular, look for a softer, less tailored shoulder.
Given all this, a sports coat is inherently more casual than other jackets. The degree to which it is more or less casual depends on the individual jacket, of course.

Then, there is a different beast, called an "Odd Jacket". Facing facts, the term is almost never used in common discourse, and guys mistakenly use "sports coat" instead. But an odd jacket is "a suit jacket made without matching pants and intended to be worn with other separate items".

proxy.php

Then there's the blazer ... almost always navy blue, and if you want to get all technical, with brass buttons. It takes its origins from naval uniforms, and tends to keep a fairly formal styling approach, so it a good choice for fairly formal attire.

proxy.php

Of course, these are broad distinctions ... and all those jackets out there are made on a broad spectrum, so there's lots of 'cross-overs' out there.

proxy.php
Excellent education. Thank you.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
A suit coat is part of a matching combination with trousers and sometimes a waistcoat (vest), all made from the same material. It is not designed to be worn other than as a part of a full outfit.

A sports coat is a jacket which can be worn with different trousers in less formal situations. The designs are often a bit more adventurous than those for a suit. It’s a stand-alone item of clothing, whereas a suit jacket is a component of a matching set. Hope that helps.
Very well said.

Recall being at an education conference some years ago. There was a cocktail party. Must have been 35 men there, and 33 of em were wearing navy blazers. LOL

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Excellent explanation!

tankerjohn

So if you have a 2 piece suit, and lose the pants, does the remainder become a sport coat? :)
Yes, but... Many men's style aficionados consider it a faux pax to wear a suit jacket separately that is obviously a suit jacket. That would be mainly fine, worsted wool or pinstripes that characterize formal or business suits. You can tell when it looks odd. It's easier to get away with a solid navy jacket, because it can pass for a blazer. But really to pull off the divided suit thing, you want a more textured fabric like flannel or linen (or tweed) and casual details on the jacket, like patch pockets.

tankerjohn

Recall being at an education conference some years ago. There was a cocktail party. Must have been 35 men there, and 33 of em were wearing navy blazers. LOL
I was at a business casual event last week and noticed the same thing. I guess the lesson is, if you want to blend in, wear navy. If you want to stick out, wear a different color. One other thing that caught muy eye is that very few of the blazers had brass buttons. At least, not on anyone younger than 60. Pewter and horn buttons are in now.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
very few of the blazers had brass buttons. At least, not on anyone younger than 60. Pewter and horn buttons are in now.

It's easy to grin,
With buttons made of tin,
And your arm round a comely lass.
But the man worthwhile
Is the man who can smile
While wearing buttons of brass.

tankerjohn

It's easy to grin,
With buttons made of tin,
And your arm round a comely lass.
But the man worthwhile
Is the man who can smile
While wearing buttons of brass.
Well there you have it, Doc. So why is the brass button guy smiling when the comely lass is all over Mr. Tin Buttons?

tankerjohn

I been in a meeting with 200+ guys and 98% had navy jackets with gray pants.
Ditto. Somewhere it was decided that khaki pants are "old manish" with a navy blazer, so everyone wears gray pants now. I'm waiting for gray to become old manish and the kids all move back to khaki.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Supplemental to answers given earlier...

I'd consider a suit without the trousers to be a blazer. I'd consider a sports jacket to be a jacket that you wouldn't want to have matching trousers for.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'd consider a sports jacket to be a jacket that you wouldn't want to have matching trousers for.

Actually, you can.

proxy.php

This is most often seen in the tweed/hunting scene in Britain. The "sports jacket and matching pants" look is perfectly fine ... you just need to realise that it will be an inherently more "sporty/casual" look than an actual "suit" you normally see nowadays (ie being a business suit rather than a leisure suit.)

Top Bottom