What's new

BassPlayerBoz's Shave Journal

Got 8 shaves out of it. Unlike the last couple though, I felt like shaves 4-8 on this one were more comfortable than those on the first 3 blades of this type. Perhaps I was using the milder DE89 & taking my time for most of them is what made the difference. (Though I still don't think they were as comfortable as shaves 4-8 on any of the Rapira blades regardless of the razor I used.)

Gear used was the DE89, Maggard's Synthetic brush, & Afta Fresh Scent or Nivea Sensitive balm. The soap for the first few shaves was the WSP Formula T (Still my favorite). But when that tin started to run low, I tossed in the scraps of TOBS Sandalwood soap I had left after using that down to the bowl. The result was a mixture of the two. I found that the Formula T lent the slickness I prefer to the TOBS soap. But as I used up the Formula T and the mixture became more & more the TOBS Sandalwood, I had to go back to adding in a dropper-full of glycerin to get some slickness back. I also noticed the TOBS tends to dry my face out a lot more than the Formula T.

Next blade, I think I'm going to try the V3OC head.

This week, I tried the blade with the Maggard V3OC head I got a few months ago. Got 8 shaves out of the blade. Shaves 5-8 were better than 5-8 with the previous 3 Astra SS's, but still didn't feel as smooth as the Rapiras. The V3OC felt ever so slightly more aggressive than the V3 & V3A, but not a whole lot. (It's close enough that I'll freely acknowledge that it could just be that I was expecting it to be more aggressive and, therefore, perceived it to be so.)

Other than trying out the V3OC, the gear for each shave was same as for the prior blades: Leftover TOBS Sandalwood soap in a WSP Formula T tin that's running out, Maggard synthetic brush, alum, & Afta Fresh scent or Nivea Sensitive Post shave balm.

One more Astra SS in this 5-pk. Will probably go back to the DE89 for it. Then on to try the Astra SPs that I've heard so much about on this forum.

Just finished my first 5-pk of Astra SSs last night. Got 8 shaves out of it (my arbitrary goal.) Shaves 5,6, & 8 were better than the previous blades. Can't fault the blade for shave #7 though - that one was all me. Didn't load enough/ too much water ==> runny lather. I did take my time & opted not to go over too many places going for the BBS... and ended up with a barely passable shave. On the good side, I did get a "passable" shave with no irritation (always a plus).

Gear for this one was the Astra SS in a EJ DE89, Maggard synthetic brush, TOBS Sandalwood soap (still working on a few little chunks) with an eye dropper full of vegetable glycerin, alum, and Afta Fresh scent.

Overall, I thought the Astra SSs were OK, but not great. I seemed to get the same experience in each razor I used with them (EJ DE 89, Maggard V3OC, and V3A.) I was able to get good shaves with them in each razor. But though I seemed less likely to give myself razor burn with the DE 89, I also felt it was easier to get closer shaves with the V3OC & V3A. What was consistent was that shaves 5-8 were noticeably less comfortable in each razor. That's not to say they were "bad", but the decrease in smoothness was there. Still... I wouldn't throw them away and could live with them if I got them for a good price. But the Rapiras are still my favorite so far (I've tried Shark SCs, Crystal Reds, Voskhods, Astra SSs, & Rapiras.)

For the next trial, I'm moving to the often-praised Astra SPs. Will stick with the same set up as this past week.

Used the Astra SPs for the first time this past week. Put one in the EJ DE89 to start. Intended to keep using the remnants of the TOBS Sandalwood soap I still have, but it was getting harder & harder to load/ generate lather with the chunks I have that are loose in the container. So after 1-2 shaves with that, I switched over to my WSP Rustic Shaving Soap in the citrus scent. Good soap. Easy to generate creamy, thick lather and it's fairly slick (though I still don't think it's as slick as the WSP Formula T soaps.)

I went 8 shaves with this blade as well. I felt like the last few shaves on this one were better than with the Astra SS, but were still getting noticeably less smooth. For the most part, though. the shaves were pretty comfortable. I did have one shave (~ 3-4) that was not very good (i.e. barely passable), one that gave me some mild razor burn/noticeable irritation the next day, and got a couple of weepers. But all of those I believe can be confidently attributed to "operator error" because of distractions or rushing. Overall, I thought the blade performed pretty well for me in the DE89. Still remember the Rapiras feeling better to me, but these are right up there. After I work my way through the blades I have so far (should only take another year or so... LOL!), I might have to come back to these and "A/B" test them against the Rapiras with all the same gear alternating blades/days with the exact same gear to re-evaluate them.

Tonight, the 2nd Astra SP will go into the Maggard V3 head for the next 8 shaves. When I first used the V3, I thought it was noticeably more aggressive than the DE89. Curious if that will still be my perception with these blades.

Used the Maggard V3 with this blade. The V3 still seems noticeably more aggressive to me than the DE89. And with this blade, I got quite a bit more razor burn/irritation than I did with the DE89. I read on another forum thread about another gent who experienced this. Seemed like in his opinion, the Astra SPs don't pair well with the V3. (This is consistent with my experience this past week. He did, however, also write that they paired nicely with the V3A... which is fortunate, since that's the combination I intend to try next.)

I started out using the WSP Rustic soap (Citrus) and Afta Fresh scent. But between the irritation I was experiencing, the apparent "drying effect" of the soap & alcohol-based AS on my face, and the cold/dry air we're had here lately.... well... I switched to using the Nivea Sensitive shaving cream & balm around shave 4-5 (OBTW... still made it to my arbitrary 8-shaves/blade goal.) Blade was tugging a bit when going ATG/XTG on the last few shaves. But between the change of soap/AS, and as long as I took my time & was careful, I could manage to get a CCS/DFS while keeping the irritation under control.

Next, the Astra SP in the V3A head. Haven't decided which soap I'm going with yet. Might stick with the Nivea combination for a while.

Have you tried using better moisturizing soaps like Haslingers, Mitchell Wool Fat, Stirling, SV, etc? It could help prevent the drying affects.

Have you tried using better moisturizing soaps like Haslingers, Mitchell Wool Fat, Stirling, SV, etc? It could help prevent the drying affects.

I've not tried any of those yet, but they are on my "wish list". I did, however, use some WSP Formula T soap & loved it. It's tallow-based like the ones you mention and I think that's what made the difference for me in slickness, post-shave, and not drying out my skin. It's my favorite soap so far. Unfortunately, I only had one tin. And since I have so many others to go through, I want to use them as well before I go hog-wild buying more stuff. Still... I think there will be some Stirling, Haslinger, & more WSP Formula T in my future well before I get through the 2 years worth of soap/cream I have stashed already.

3rd Astra SP used this past week w/ the Maggard V3A head. Thought the blade was much smoother in the V3A head than it was in the V3. I had much less irritation. Used the Nivea Sensitive Shave Cream/post-shave balm the whole time. Got 8 shaves out of it. Shaves 5-8 were noticeably smoother than shaves 5-8 w/ the V3 head last week. I set 8 shaves as my arbitrary number for evaluating blade life while I'm learning / testing these things out. However, I'm starting to maybe see the attraction to tossing them after 3-4 shaves. And that's still WAAAYYYY cheaper than my Sensor XL cartridges cost.

Next up - the Astra SP in the V3OC.

4th Astra SP "in the bank"...

I used the Nivea Sensitive Cream/Balm & the Maggard V3OC with this one. Got 8 shaves out of it, but shaves 5-8 were a bit rough (more irritation than normal). And shave #3 wasn't even very comfortable. Overall, I think the ASP blade was not as comfortable in this one as in the V3A and maybe about the same (or a little worse) than in the V3. But the V3A I used with blade #3 (between the V3 & V3OC) seemed to to OK with them. Going back to the EJ DE89 for the 5th ASP in the pkg this week. Sticking with the Nivea cream/balm. Not certain which blade to try after this ASP pkg is done. Maybe the 7AM Plus Hi Platinum. We'll see...

5th Astra SP "in the bank"

Used this one with the DE89 & Nivea Sensitive Shave Cream. Alternated between Nivea Sensitive post-shave balm & the Afta Fresh scent after shave lotion. Overall, results with the DE89 were consistent with the experience I had with the ASP & DE 89 on the 1st blade of this pkg - overall, pretty decent (but I still think I liked the rapiras better... though I'll admit the memory of specific shaves with the rapiras is fading & I'm relying more & more on notes & journals.) Regardless of my memory of the Rapiras compared to the ASPs, I definitely think the ASPs were MUCH more comfortable with WAY LESS irritation in the DE89 when compared to the Maggard V3 & V3OC. (The V3A was a bit less irritating when I was careful, but the DE89 was definitely more comfortable.)
This week, will keep with the DE89 & Nivea cream and probably break open a pkg of the 7AM Plus hi platinum & see how they work.

1st 7am in the "bank"

Used Nivea Sensitive cream, Afta Fresh scent, & EJ DE89. Blade was OK at first, but starting on about shave #4 I got more & more tugging. Was able to get decent shaves after that, but there was a bit of irritation - not a lot of razor burn (a little; not a lot), but noticeable redness on my neck.

I'm not loving the Nivea sensitive shave cream either. I got 4 tubes thinking I'd like it as much as I like the sensitive post shave balm... and I'm using it to use it up & ensure it's not just me, the blade, or the razor. But the performance is OK.... barely (IMHO). Perhaps it's the hard water here, but there seems to be a very fine line between "enough water to get thick lather" and "too much water resulting in runny lather". And even when I seem to get the lather right, it's slickness is so-so as is the post-shave feel. It's frustrating. Didn't have this problem with the WSP Formula T (still my favorite soap so far.)

Since the 7am blade was tugging at shave #4, I'm a bit nervous about the next 8 shaves with the 7am in the Maggard V3 head - which I've found to be noticeably more aggressive than the DE89. I'll try to be careful, but we'll see how this goes starting tomorrow.

2nd 7AM in the "bank"

Used the Nivea Sensitive cream, Afta fresh scent, & Maggard V3 head. Still got 8 shaves out of the blade. As before, started feeling a bit more tugging on shave #4. But on this blade with this razor, I was able to get through 8 shaves without as much irritation as with the DE89. There was still some, but not as much. Not sure if it was the blade/Razor combo, me being careful knowing the irritation I experienced before, more care taken making the lather nice & thick, or what.

Next blade will be in the V3A head. Still using the Nivea Sensitive cream, but I might use this tube up before I get done with the blade. Debating either switching to the WSP Rustic Citrus or one of the Caties' Bubbles scents I have for a couple of months.

Switch it out my man! Variety is the spice of life. And you can't let the other soaps just sit there not being used. It's like a fine scotch. Sure it can sit around for the while and look pretty in the bottle but its best when being used. :)

Switch it out my man! Variety is the spice of life. And you can't let the other soaps just sit there not being used. ..... :)

I get it. But I'm also trying to be as consistent as I can while trying out new blades in the various razors so as to be able to make a fairer comparison. And also to facilitate development of technique. I've read on this forum about guys who've said sticking to the same basic set-up for a while helps develop good technique. And after that gets nailed down, it's easier to gauge other pieces of gear (and some even say after they develop their technique they can get a CCS/DFS with almost any gear.) That's where I'd eventually like to get, but I'm not there yet.

Still, I'll conceded I've succumbed to acquisition disorder a bit & bought/tried a bunch of soaps/ creams (TOBS Sandalwood soap/ coconut cream, WSP Rustic/Formula T, C.O. Bigelow, Nivea, VDH, Caties Bubbles, etc.) And I have a bunch more on my wish list, but I could go prob. 2 years with the stash I have without actually needing to buy anything.

I get it. But I'm also trying to be as consistent as I can while trying out new blades in the various razors so as to be able to make a fairer comparison. And also to facilitate development of technique. I've read on this forum about guys who've said sticking to the same basic set-up for a while helps develop good technique. And after that gets nailed down, it's easier to gauge other pieces of gear (and some even say after they develop their technique they can get a CCS/DFS with almost any gear.) That's where I'd eventually like to get, but I'm not there yet.

Still, I'll conceded I've succumbed to acquisition disorder a bit & bought/tried a bunch of soaps/ creams (TOBS Sandalwood soap/ coconut cream, WSP Rustic/Formula T, C.O. Bigelow, Nivea, VDH, Caties Bubbles, etc.) And I have a bunch more on my wish list, but I could go prob. 2 years with the stash I have without actually needing to buy anything.

I am sure most of us don't need any new equipment. I don't think I have officially 3017 anything in quite some time. LOL

3rd 7AM in the "bank"; Tried some new soaps

Used the Maggad V3A head & finished off the tube of Nivea Sensitive Shave Cream and my last container of Afta Fresh Scent. I felt like this blade performed about the same as the previous one did in the V3 head. Maybe a little better one the last few shaves, but I could still feel some tugging/irritation that told me I was getting to shaves 5-8.

Also tried a couple different soaps after the Nivea Sensitive ran out. Bought some Mountain Man Soap at the Tucson 4th Ave Street Fair made by Mountain Meadow Soaps in CO (http://mountainmeadowsoaps.com/). Wasn't specifically for shaving, but it was made with bear fat, I wanted to try a tallow-/fat-based soap, and the rep said he's heard of folks shaving with it. So I tried it. And as I'm certain some folks who've tried this already know, I found out that bath soaps don't always do well as shaving soaps. The lather was hard to build & dissipated quickly. I was able to get a decent shave out of it, but I wouldn't try it again. While the lather broke down while on my face, I had a couple of days worth of facial hair growth that helped keep the stubble upright & there was enough slickness to make it work, but it wasn't pretty.

I also tried a shaving soap made by a local vendor here in Tucson - "Just Soap You Know" (just-soap-you-know). Didn't think this worked too well as a shaving soap either. Same results with the lather as the bear fat one above. It was a little slicker, but I think it was because of the clay in the recipe. (In fairness to them, I also bought/tried one of their bath soaps, like it, & would buy their stuff again. But I'd prob. pass on the shaving soap next time.)

I found out later during some research on the shaving soaps section of this site that adding clay is a common technique to add some slickness to a regular soap. I also read in that same search about some basic philosophy of bathing/shaving soap formulation. Can't recall who posted it so forgive me for not citing my source, but the gist of the post was: Regular soaps are formulated to clean, dissolve dirt/grime, and carry it away quickly while lubrication and enduring lather are secondary concerns. Whereas shaving soaps are typically designed with the exact opposite priorities. My experience was consistent with this.
The 7th shave was with another soap I bought at the 4th Ave Street Fair - Daisy G's Bay Rum & Molasses (Bay Rum and Molasses Shaving Soap). This lathered really well & gave me a good shave, but my skin felt very dry in the post-shave.

The 8th shave was with the WSP Rustic in Citrus Blast scent. Lather was easy to generate, but I think I didn't use enough water this time. Lather was thick, but not as slick as I'd prefer. And it also left my face feeling dry (unlike their Formula T soaps - still my favorite so far.)

Next up - the 7AM blade in the Maggard V3OC head. Not certain of the soap/cream I want to use. Might go back to the TOBS Coconut Save Cream I have for a while & maybe try to 3017 it. Or maybe try a few shaves with the VDH puck I haven't used since my first month DE shaving nearly a year ago. We'll see.....

Wow! You have a lot of reviews here! Out of all that you mentioned...I would stick with the Formula T. Excellent soap there.

I agree with Don. WSP!

Thanks for the feedback. I've been posting here so I can keep track of what I'm trying & what I thought at the time, but also so that perhaps someone else might be able to learn from my experiences as well. I haven't posted a heck of a lot of reviews in their own "Review threads" because I'm still fairly new at this & still learning. (The only "reviews" I think I've posted in their own threads were the ones requested by DangerousDon when he PIF'd me some items after I first started DE shaving & found/joined B&B.)

And I agree with you about the WSP Formula T. So far, it's my favorite soap. Next time I get up to Phoenix when their shop is open (prob. during the drive up there on a Saturday), I'll stop in & get some more. I hesitate to get any online because it'll give me a reasonable excuse to stop in their shop when my spousal unit & are driving up to Phoenix.

And though the Formula T is my favorite so far... and I'm convinced it's because of the tallow in it.... I've read good things about other tallow/lanolin soaps that I still want to try. (Stirling, Mike's Natural Soaps, and MWF come to mind.)

And though the Formula T is my favorite so far... and I'm convinced it's because of the tallow in it.... I've read good things about other tallow/lanolin soaps that I still want to try. (Stirling, Mike's Natural Soaps, and MWF come to mind.)

I would consider Formula T one of the better soaps out there, but yes...you are right. You should not stop there. Check out the ones you mentioned, but check out others too. Among my favorite are Mystic Water (Michelle offers generous sized samples and I believe you will not be disappointed) and Sudsy Soapery (might be my new favorite soap...it is seriously that good). Mystic Water is a tallow based soap and can be had for under $12 (Under $10 if you just get the refill). While Sudsy Soapery does not contain tallow, it does contain Lanolin is is priced at around $15. Sudsy Soapery just might be the best bang for your buck to. Other soap makers would charge much more for a soap like this.

Top Bottom