What's new

Open Comb Suggestions

I am still quite new to the world of DE shaving having started just a month and half ago. I also tend to be a bit of a collector when I get into something I like and already have 6 DE razors (5 that see regular use, and 1 cheaper razor which was bought more for travel so I don't lose/damage a nicer razor). I was going to stop for a while and concentrate on figuring out which blades will be "my" blades and which will be my first couple 100 pack purchases. However, I have really come to love my RazoRock OLD Type OC. It is one of my favorites, definitely in my top 3, and is a contender for my favorite razor. It is my only OC razor, so I'm thinking I'd like to get one more for now to see if it is that particular razor or the OC experience that I love so much (in the future I expect I'll have quite a few razors, but for now, this will be my last razor purchase for 6-12 months while I zero in on technique and blades).

So, I'm looking for something fairly mild since I'm still new. I'm open to something on the medium end as well, though nothing so aggressive as a Muhle r41. I definitely want an OC. I guess something similar to the RR Old Type OC in shaving characteristics (OC, mild to medium), but different.

I'm mainly considering the Maggard v2 (not sure which handle, probably an MR11 or MR1), Parker 24c/26c, or Merkur 15c or 41c/1904.

From what I read, the comparable Maggard and RazoRock razors sound so similar that I am not convinced that they are not made by the same manufacturer for Maggard and RR/Italian Barber's private labels. Eventually I want the RR Mission head to compare to my Maggard v3 and/or the Maggard v2 to compare to my RR Old Type OC, but given what I want to do right now, I'm not sure this is the time. Though, if the Maggard v2 and the RR Old Type are definitely different heads, the price/quality ratio may make this the way to go.

The Parkers sound about right. Maybe a tad more aggressive than my RR or the Merkurs, but not overly so. They are sized and weighted similarly to my Parker 76r which I like quite a bit, and before I started trying sharper razor blades it was my favorite (I think it is no longer in my top 3 but I still like it a lot). Though, when I use sharper blades I find the 76r to be a tad too aggressive for my beginners touch (to my face/in my hand my 76r is my most aggressive razor), and with the 24/26 being a bit more aggressive than the other OCs I'm considering I wonder if I'd be happier with the milder OC razors for now. I'd probably go with the 24c, even though I like the look of the 26c better, since the 26c looks so much like my 76r in order to get something that is a little more different (the 24 and 26 are the same but the 24 is all chrome and the 26 has a black handle).

The Merkurs may be the most mild of this bunch, but as sounds to be quite common with OC razors, they have a reputation as a very efficient razor. I'd consider the 15c, though I'd probably go with the 41c/1904 for the even more classic look.

So, anyone have any feedback on these razors, or any suggestions based upon what I'm looking for?

Shone OC, it's made of brass in Italy and looks like a Fatip Picollo but is a lot smoother. I t costs less than $25.00 on Amazon and is one of my favorite razors.

If you like the RazoRock Old type, you will love the Gillette OLD type! Absolutely the best razor ever made in my opinion. Unmatched efficiency while being smooth and user friendly!

Pick up the Gillette Old and New Types. These vintage razors provide some of the best shaves, have great workmanship and history.

I'm not currently collecting vintage razors. I may in my next "phase" of this, but for now I'm staying with modern production (I know that once I do, I will probably open up a whole new Pandora's box of RAD and I want to keep that under control for the next 6-12mo).

Shone OC, it's made of brass in Italy and looks like a Fatip Picollo but is a lot smoother. I t costs less than $25.00 on Amazon and is one of my favorite razors.

Sounds interesting. European made (Italy) and not Chinese, mild to medium aggressiveness, good looks, nickel plating (not chrome) or gold, and only $25. Actually, interestingly, of all my choices so far the Parker would be the most expensive (the Merkur can be had around $27-28 shipped from Amazon).

Sounds interesting. European made (Italy) and not Chinese, mild to medium aggressiveness, good looks, nickel plating (not chrome) or gold, and only $25. Actually, interestingly, of all my choices so far the Parker would be the most expensive (the Merkur can be had around $27-28 shipped from Amazon).
I bought that Razor on Amazon not expecting much but I have found myself using it more than any of my other razors. Unlike the Fatip Picollo and a few other 3 piece razors there is are blade alignment issues. You just drop in the blade and shave away.

When you do go to look at vintage, be sure to check out the Gillette Senator. That's a good performing OC without aggression.

Hi,

You might want to re-think just when you go for your first Vintage. The best choice out there for what you want in an OC razor is a Gillette New. It does not matter if that is a Long or a Short Comb, nor if it is a US, Canadian or British made New.

Yes, many of us debate just which New is better than the others, but it is all hair-splitting. If you have no New, then just pick any form of the New to start with.

Stan

First about vintage razors: Metal is far from impossible to clean. Each day you put metal into your mouth that someone else has had in his/her mouth. Vintage razors are not as disgusting as some think.

Parker 24C is a good option for you as you like mild modern razors. The Shone razor is maybe not really what you are searching for as it is among the most aggressive ones... but still something to try at as it is real brass and not zamak.

First about vintage razors: Metal is far from impossible to clean. Each day you put metal into your mouth that someone else has had in his/her mouth. Vintage razors are not as disgusting as some think.
My wanting to wait on collecting vintage has nothing to do with thinking they are disgusting. Though, I am worried about a very communicable "disease" that knowing my history I am very susceptible and thus I'm waiting 6-12mo until I have other aspects of the hobby sorted out (RAD). Once I get one, I'll probably have half a dozen to a dozen in no time and I want to get to know what I have, and get set up on blades 1st. This OC is going to be my last razor for months in order to see if my love of that RR is just the razor itself or open combs in general.

Parker 24C is a good option for you as you like mild modern razors. The Shone razor is maybe not really what you are searching for as it is among the most aggressive ones... but still something to try at as it is real brass and not zamak.

As usual, Amazon is no help. You say the Schone is one of the more aggressive options. On Amazon, depending upon which review you look at, they are "very far from aggressive", "a little too aggressive" and have "little to no aggression" or "a lot of blade exposure and this razor is pretty aggressive. Not for beginners or the faint of heart" and of course, everything in between depending upon which review you look at. Since I'm still pretty new and want a 2nd sample of an OC to verify that I like them, but don't want to be pushed away from them by going too aggressive too fast, I'm looking for something in the Parker 24C or Merkur 41C range of aggressiveness.

Hi,

Well, ya gots *that* disease already, so No Hope of avoiding it Now! :p

Ya say ya want a long-term OC for next? Go New. It will do you. ;)

Besides, you are going to keep on seeing the New suggested. I will tell you a little story, then shut up (yeah, right). I have been at this for 41 years now. Started with a Tech. Had lots of razors show up, stay a while, and then leave. DEs, SEs, Straights. I never got past trying Carts, even tho they Magically Appear in my mailbox for free.

What is the one make and model razor I suggest most? The New. What is the make and model razor I have given away the most? The New. What is the make and model razor I wind up picking up *again* after passing it on? The New. Say, do you see a pattern developing? :)

Stan - shutting up to see who says New next.....

It does not matter if that is a Long or a Short Comb, nor if it is a US, Canadian or British made New.
Wrong, you heed 2 of each model! Hurry up and...

proxy.php

No, do NOT buy all the Gillettes - you'll end up stuck with a pile of Fusions, Venus, Mach (insert number here) and all sorts of other razors you'll never want to even LOOK at again!.

The Schone OC is made by Fatip under license. It differs, following the client (Schone) request, by having only 9 teeth compared with the 11 of the Piccolo and Grande.

If i'm going to recommend a razor the least I can do is spell it right and I didn't. Thank you for the useful information.
The Schone OC is made by Fatip under license. It differs, following the client (Schone) request, by having only 9 teeth compared with the 11 of the Piccolo and Grande.

Top Bottom