What's new

A few intermediate questions!

Hi there,

I joined B&B quite a number of years ago as I first started to get into DE shaving but then took a long break from it. I'm now getting back into DE shaving with a passion and while I'm still learning a lot and quite a bit of practice ahead I'm having fun with it!

I Had a few questions which are kind of beginner/intermediate questions I suppose and if anyone can spare some time to help answer them it would be much appreciated!
I've primarily been using proraso red soap, a Razorock Plissoft brush, an Edwin Jagger DE89KN razor, and am still experimenting with blades.

My first question is on how long to load the brush for. I've mostly been following the advice of most youtube wet shavers and loading the brush for between 30-60 seconds but I recently rediscovered Mantic59's channel and he recommends a 3 second load! Have I been using way too much product? Has anyone else tried a short load like this and had good results?

My second question is connected to the first and it's about volume of lather when bowl lathering vs face lathering. I've tried both methods using the same load time and when bowl lathering I have an ample amount of lather for multiple passes and more, but when face lathering I seem to have lots of lather for the first pass but only get very thin layers for second and third pass - really squeezing the brush out if I want a clean-up pass. Is this normal for face lathering or more a consequence of the brush that I use not holding enough lather?

Last question is about post-shave; my current post-shave routine is a thorough rinse with warm water followed by a splash of thayer's alcohol free witch hazel and once that's dry I apply a small amount of nivea sensitive post shave balm. I'm wondering if this is the right order for post-shave or if applying the products the other way around would be more beneficial. Would adding an alum block be a good idea and where would that come into the routine - possibly even replacing the witch hazel? I'm 24 and have fairly soft (I don't think sensitive) skin and a mild/medium coarseness beard, if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to read this post and can offer any help, forums like B&B have always been a helpful read during my DE rediscovery!

Asa.

My first question is on how long to load the brush for.

I do about 100 swirls on my puck. Not sure how long that takes. All you need to do is load as much as you need.​

My second question is connected to the first and it's about volume of lather when bowl lathering vs face lathering. I've tried both methods using the same load time and when bowl lathering I have an ample amount of lather for multiple passes and more, but when face lathering I seem to have lots of lather for the first pass but only get very thin layers for second and third pass - really squeezing the brush out if I want a clean-up pass. Is this normal for face lathering or more a consequence of the brush that I use not holding enough lather?

If you need to swirl some more for second pass, do so. There is no alw against that.​

Last question is about post-shave; my current post-shave routine is a thorough rinse with warm water followed by a splash of thayer's alcohol free witch hazel and once that's dry I apply a small amount of nivea sensitive post shave balm. I'm wondering if this is the right order for post-shave or if applying the products the other way around would be more beneficial. Would adding an alum block be a good idea and where would that come into the routine - possibly even replacing the witch hazel? I'm 24 and have fairly soft (I don't think sensitive) skin and a mild/medium coarseness beard, if that makes any difference.

I would skip the alum. Too skin-tightening for me. I think your application steps are fine.​

Bottom line - experiment some and find what is best for you. That is all that matters.

Nothing wrong with the way you do things. I actually think using a bowl is more work but that's just my opinion. I shave then witch hazel, Avalon organics vitamin C moisturizer and then some old school after shave such as clubman, old spice or AV, I also just got a bottle of proraso sandalwood that's friggin awesome. I use Nivea or dove AS balm when I travel and it feels like goo after using the classics all the time.

My first question is on how long to load the brush for. I've mostly been following the advice of most youtube wet shavers and loading the brush for between 30-60 seconds but I recently rediscovered Mantic59's channel and he recommends a 3 second load! Have I been using way too much product? Has anyone else tried a short load like this and had good results?

I load for a count of 60, it works for me and I rarely have to go back to the puck for 3 passes. I tried doing a 10-20 second load and I never go enough lather for 3 passes. I think Mantic59 gives great advice but you have to find what works for you, if a 3 second load works for you go with it!

When I first started face lathering I had some thin 3rd passes but I learned how to make it work. You may have to add water, or load a little more soap until you make it lather the way you want. Experiment until you find what works for you, that is part of the fun for me.

I tried the alum block but found it dried out my face too much also. However, many here use it prior to using the witch hazel or an AS/

Load times will vary based on soap, brush, water, amount of lather needed, and your technique. So it's pretty personal. Though 3 seconds seems. . . uncommonly short. Maybe for loading a cream? As far as your aftershave routine, I'd recommend adding in a cold water splash right after the warm rinse. It helps close the pores. If you don't have any dryness issues you could try a "proper" AS splash instead of a balm. My alum block only comes out of its hiding place when I get a shaving nick that won't stop bleeding. Yeah, I haven't pulled it out in months.

Welcome aboard! Looks like you are doing very well.

For me, loading depends on the particular soap and the particular brush. So there is no rule here. Some soaps require longer loading and some brushes are more or less 'greedy' (also known as 'flow-through.') It simply takes awhile to figure out the optimal approach-at least IMO.

My $.02
Whatever floats YOUR boat.
If it takes 3 swirls on a puck or 300.....do what works for you without getting too caught up in how somebody else does it. I load it up like I'm trying to reach the bottom of the bowl every time, and I reload between each pass cuz it's only soap and there's plenty more where that came from.
I take the same "whatever works for me" attitude for post shave routine, gear selection and the ever nagging debate on which side of the bread to butter. It's not rocket surgery....it's suppose to be relaxing, pampering and above all...fun.

I would say that Mantic has some good advice on his channel. That being said, I think you should load the amount of product you need. That could be a three second load, it could be a 30 second load, it could take you a minute. Every product is different.

Given the choice between using too much product or using too little product, use too much. Soap is cheap in comparison to a raw irritated face.

My personal load is I load till I think I have enough product. If I think I need more, I get more product. I've not really timed it or anything I just kinda eye ball it and go by feel since I prefer to face lather.

You may need to add water to the brush in tiny amounts for your second or third passes. I would try that first. Of course you can always use more product. Again soap is cheap in comparison to your face. I do normally squeeze out my brush for clean up passes though. I sometimes have to feel with my fingers to find the whiskers. Typically if I'm trying for BBS I want to feel BBS before I do any after shave routine.

Typically alum is used for when one gets weepers or other small cuts. More major cuts usually require a styptic pencil. I myself don't use alum so I can't really give you advice there. Otherwise I think your post-shave routine is fine if it works for you.

My post shave typically consists of rinsing with warm (but not hot) water followed by rinsing again with cool (but not cold) water and following with a splash of Dickinson's WH. After that I may or may not put on a fragrance but I generally don't.

Top Bottom