What's new

Rockwell Razor Club

Which gives better shaves overall?

• Merkur Progress

• Rockwell 6s

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm a semi lazy shopper. I prefer going to one place and placing a big order so I'm only waiting for one package. I may do that though if i ever just want ONE pack of blades. Or if i order the model T once the regular production model comes out

Sent from my Z936L using Tapatalk

One thing the Rock has taught me is that different blades perform differently at different settings. Not just the aggression factor but they can actually feel like a radically different blade altogether. Just thought you'd like to know. You may wanna try each setting on any one brand of blade and do that for several brands to find which combo works best for you.

Got a few more shaves in with a KAI, and Feather blades. Better, marginally. I straight shave, with a wedge, but it is not an everyday razor, just not practical with work and all. So I'm accustomed to more blade feel throughout my shave routine. I read all the hype about it being one of the best 3 piece adjustables. So I had to try it and draw my own conclusions. It is a nice razor, solid and it will shave nicely. I like it, but don't love it. I have a few other razors that it would have to compete with, and sadly it's not going to beat out the other adjustables in my stable such as the Vision, Variant or the Futur, and to a certain extent the Progress. The 6s won't see much use I believe. Maybe a pass around for those who are considering it could be set up. At least it will be put to good use and even a nice potential PIF down the road.....

Finally got my first shave in with the Rockwell 6s that my other half had given to me as an anniversary gift. She's an awesome woman and completely into my RAD, although she does give me that quizzical look at times while I'm drooling and babbling while looking at some razors over the net. Yes, she puts up with me. No small feat I tell you.....:tongue_sm
Anyways, onto the shave itself. I used the R5 base plate with a Bolzano Superinox blade. Only had about 2 days of stubble, didn't think I needed to use the more aggressive R6 plate. Used a new tin of WSP soap, Formula T BlackBeard and it provided an awesome lather with excellent glide and cushion.
I performed a 3 pass shave, with just a tad of buffing just under the jawline area and Sir Adam's Apple. Got a DFS, wasn't wowed by any means, but it was an efficient and clean shave. I also expected to feel more of the blade or a more aggressive shave during each pass, but that was not the case. It felt more like a Futur on setting 3 for me at least. It felt great in the hands with good knurling on the handle and very good weight. No pressure needed during any of the passes as the weight of the razor makes it unnecessary. It's very well built, the pieces fit together superbly and the blade was aligned precisely.
In conclusion, I would say it is a very good razor that gets the job done very well. I'm a BBS chaser, so I did not get that with this first shave on the 6s, but the shave was comfortable, close and barely any irritation. Audible feedback was there letting you know it's doing some serious whisker whackin. If I had to gripe about anything, it would probably be that I expected it to be more aggressive feeling than it was. But I will try the R6 base plate on my next shave and that could change things. Maybe that's the whole point with the 6s, being aggressive without feeling aggressive. The razor, the blade and the soap provided a very good shave. Can't wait for the next shave with it...... Stay Tuned!!!:taz:

I pretty much only use the 6 plate these days. I also like a BBS, and to get that with a 5 plate or less I end up causing irritation by going over the problem areas too much to get the success I'm looking for.

I was looking for an upgrade for my Muhle r89 I just wanted something abit more aggressive so eventually decided on the Rockwell 6s so I had my first shave this morning.I loaded it up with a brand new Voskhod blade and decided I would use the number 2 plate for the first try.
Wow this thing is awesome
It gave me an effortless shave with no irritation what so ever it was a pleasure to use.
The weight of this thing is perfect I'm so happy with my decision to purchase this razor.
Can't wait to try out the other plates
Thanks

I was looking for an upgrade for my Muhle r89 I just wanted something abit more aggressive so eventually decided on the Rockwell 6s so I had my first shave this morning.I loaded it up with a brand new Voskhod blade and decided I would use the number 2 plate for the first try.
Wow this thing is awesome
It gave me an effortless shave with no irritation what so ever it was a pleasure to use.
The weight of this thing is perfect I'm so happy with my decision to purchase this razor.
Can't wait to try out the other plates
Thanks
So jealous, but in a good way. Congratulations on the Rockwell. It may be the only razor I add to the set. If not, I can live with what I have for many years, thanks to a generous gift of a Fatboy.

Sent via mobile - Chris

The Rockwell 6s is an exceptional razor, in my opinion this is one of the few modern SS razors that lives up to the hype.

Glenn

Congratulations on selecting a mighty fine razor. I love mine. I've used it for quite a few months and still have not tried R5,6 plate.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

You can shave 7 days a week with this razor, BBS each day, it's that smooth. On the downside, this razor tends to eliminate RAD, and any desire to shave with any of your other razors.

Hey all! Had my 6S for a bit over a month now, and love it, with positive sentiments reflecting many of your own.

Without delving through 50+ pages, does anyone know if this is a hot or cold cast razor? I would guess cold looking at it.
I'm glad to report it shaves significantly better having been polished. Definitely worth the time and effort.

I was thinking about having it RazorPlate(d). Don't mind repeating the work or effort MrBaz has done on my own, but am waffling. Thoughts, aside from the fact that a slick coat of Rhodium costs more to have applied than the 6S itself...?

Hey all! Had my 6S for a bit over a month now, and love it, with positive sentiments reflecting many of your own.

Without delving through 50+ pages, does anyone know if this is a hot or cold cast razor? I would guess cold looking at it.

I was thinking about having it RazorPlate(d). Don't mind repeating the work or effort MrBaz has done on my own, but am waffling. Thoughts, aside from the fact that a slick coat of Rhodium costs more to have applied than the 6S itself...?
Neither cold or hot cast. It's made by metal injection moulding. It starts as a powder then is injection molded and cintered. If you want it shiny and slick and coated in rhodium then you're gonna have to have it sanded first because the finish is bead blasted making it porous. So if you have it rhodium plated alone it'll look and feel identical. Razor emporium sells them already rhodium plated.

Hey thanks! I was curious about the casting, as it looked a bit different. Ok on the polishing - off to my hobby lair with it I go...lol. I'll post pics as they become available...

Hey thanks! I was curious about the casting, as it looked a bit different. Ok on the polishing - off to my hobby lair with it I go...lol. I'll post pics as they become available...
Sweet. Go easy. One of the reasons they did metal injection moulding is because it's every bit as precise as cnc machining. I'd start with the finest abrasive you've got so you lower the risk of changing the geometry or measurements for the base plates.

Just throwing in my $.02.
This is a phenomenal razor. I had a rough first week with the 6s...daily (and day-long) irritation, weepers, nicks, etc. I was about to sell it. However, on day 8 suddenly I dialed it in. Holy satisfaction, Batman! I purchased the 6s in December of 2016 and, except for one Saturday shave with my super speed, I haven't used anything else. Bonus: I finally found a DE that gives me a near bbs head shave. I use R4 on my head and R3 on my face. I've settled on 2 blades that work well for me at both those settings...Personna blue and GSB. Either one provides a fantastic shave. I can't recommend this razor enough.

I get great shaves with the Rockwell. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the weight but that's what you get with a stainless steel razor.

Ok, I know this is an old group but I was tagged in it.

Today I ordered a rhodium Rockwell 6S.
I've never seen or touched one, so I hope this newbie made a good choice.

DP

Top Bottom