What's new

Rockwell Razor Club

Which gives better shaves overall?

• Merkur Progress

• Rockwell 6s

Results are only viewable after voting.
As some of you may have seen on our Instagram, a few weeks ago I had a rare opportunity to test out the new Rockwell 6S all stainless "adjustable" razor. This thing is a beast of beasts.

Enter the Rockwell 6S:

$Screen Shot 2015-05-13 at 1.41.47 PM.jpg $Screen Shot 2015-05-13 at 1.42.23 PM.jpg$Screen Shot 2015-05-13 at 1.42.05 PM.jpg

Included in the box are three, double sided safety bars which act as your adjustment settings. No knobs to turn, no springs to wear out. Simple and elegant.

$Screen Shot 2015-05-13 at 1.40.45 PM.png

The Rockwell Razor company was born on Kickstarter and caused quite a stir in the wetshaving community. Offering a stainless steel razor at under $100 is difficult on it's own, but offering an ADJUSTABLE all stainless steel safety razor priced at $80 is almost unheard of.

Plus, The Rockwell 6S Razor base plates are designed to be cross compatible with many other three piece safety razor designs, which is great if you've built up a collection of razors you can still mix and match most parts with these of the Rockwell 6S.

>>Available right now<<

There seems to be some bad press about the QC.

As a trusted vendor, can you comment on head quality and alignment?

....this razor system is interesting to say the least.

I got mine a couple of days ago and I'm 100% satisfied. If they come out with a replacement cap, I'll take it, but I not in a big hurry.

Like I said when I did my mini review, this is the Mad Max of razors:thumbup1:

There seems to be some bad press about the QC.

As a trusted vendor, can you comment on head quality and alignment?

....this razor system is interesting to say the least.

Rockwell definitely had it's hiccups during launch as you know. And I do believe they still have some things to work on.
This razor has a lot going for it. Personally, I fell in love with the concept and my experience so far has been very positive. I haven't inspected every single razor yet, but I won't be selling any that I don't feel meet up to my standards. To ease any concern, I will not ship out a razor that has a defective head. I just received this shipment and will be checking each one individually.

Having said that, I have also used the Rockwell handle with a Merkur Open comb head and oh dear... it was glorious.

Yeah, I heard alot of bad press on batches 1 and 2 so hopefully they can get it all worked out and the QC up to standards!

Rockwell definitely had it's hiccups during launch as you know. And I do believe they still have some things to work on.
This razor has a lot going for it. Personally, I fell in love with the concept and my experience so far has been very positive. I haven't inspected every single razor yet, but I won't be selling any that I don't feel meet up to my standards. To ease any concern, I will not ship out a razor that has a defective head. I just received this shipment and will be checking each one individually.

Having said that, I have also used the Rockwell handle with a Merkur Open comb head and oh dear... it was glorious.

Damn, was gonna order it and now it's sold out! =x Next round. Love the concept.

Damn, was gonna order it and now it's sold out! =x Next round. Love the concept.
Sorry Spencer!
We should receive a new shipment in the next week or two. At that time, and perhaps earlier depending on customs clearance, we may also be able to offer The Rockwell in pieces similar to the options from iKon and ATT (ie: if you only want the handle, adjustable bars, etc.)
I will update on this thread when we have another batch to ship.
Cheers.

Update:
I have taken to heart some serious concerns of the Rockwell Razor from the Reddit and B&B community. While I truly believe in the concept and the fellas over at RR, there has been some serious bad press for this razor and company.

I would like to help squash any rumors, issues, etc:

1) Yes, its true. The topcap has been an issue effecting this razor. Their manufacturer was not up to snuff and didn't deliver a quality product as promised. Whats a guy to do? Well, the folks at RR put their nose to the grindstone (quite literally). They hand sanded/grinded off imperfections of the top cap to the best of their ability. Some turned out fine, some... didn't. I see no shame in their admitting fault. Some folks even received "fixed" top caps that did not meet their expectations. The guys at Rockwell are still working on things, thats for sure.

2) I personally inspected each razor we received in our first shipment. While not all of them were perfect, I did not send out a single razor that I wouldn't use on my own face. These are prototype razors after-all and may have some cosmetic flaws.

3) I have spoken with the fellas at Rockwell regarding my concerns in this issue and they are doing everything they can to make it right for myself, kickstarter backers, and regular customers alike.

4) So, what's a vendor like me to do in this situation? I must listen to the community. So after some discussion with Rockwell, I have decided that until their MIM (Metal Injection Moulding) Rockwell 6S razor is released this fall, I will only be selling parts to this kickstarter edition. Luckily, since their design was meant to be interchangeable with other razors anyway- removing the troublesome top cap and replacing it with one you may currently own should completely fix any problems. While the razor I received did not seem to have this issue, I tested it with the top cap from a Merkur and the thing was flawless.
The Rockwell 6S parts will be available by next week on TheHandleBarSupply

If anyone has any further questions I'd be happy to entertain them. Thanks guys!
-Gareth

Last edited:
Update:
I have taken to heart some serious concerns of the Rockwell Razor from the Reddit and B&B community. While I truly believe in the concept and the fellas over at RR, there has been some serious bad press for this razor and company.

I would like to help squash any rumors, issues, etc:

1) Yes, its true. The topcap has been an issue effecting this razor. Their manufacturer was not up to snuff and didn't deliver a quality product as promised. Whats a guy to do? Well, the folks at RR put their nose to the grindstone (quite literally). They hand sanded/grinded off imperfections of the top cap to the best of their ability. Some turned out fine, some... didn't. I see no shame in their admitting fault. Some folks even received "fixed" top caps that did not meet their expectations. The guys at Rockwell are still working on things, thats for sure.

2) I personally inspected each razor we received in our first shipment. While not all of them were perfect, I did not send out a single razor that I wouldn't use on my own face. These are prototype razors after-all and may have some cosmetic flaws.

3) I have spoken with the fellas at Rockwell regarding my concerns in this issue and they are doing everything they can to make it right for myself, kickstarter backers, and regular customers alike.

4) So, what's a vendor like me to do in this situation? I must listen to the community. So after some discussion with Rockwell, I have decided that until their NIMP (new improved) Rockwell 6S razor is released this fall, I will only be selling parts to this kickstarter edition. Luckily, since their design was meant to be interchangeable with other razors anyway- removing the troublesome top cap and replacing it with one you may currently own should completely fix any problems. While the razor I received did not seem to have this issue, I tested it with the top cap from a Merkur and the thing was flawless.
The Rockwell 6S parts will be available by next week on TheHandleBarSupply

If anyone has any further questions I'd be happy to entertain them. Thanks guys!
-Gareth

Well played, Gareth. When it's time for me to buy one of these, I know where I'm shopping.

I'm one of the Kickstarter backers of the Rockwell. They sent me notice that everybody will be getting a new top cap in September.

My particular razor works quite well, for the two plate settings I've tried it on.

As another KS backer I can say that I was slightly disappointed in the top cap I received. I know they were trying to make the best out of a bad situation with what they had but I can't wait to get the improved top cap.

I sent my EJ89 along with a bunch of other stuff for a starter kit to bring somebody else into the obsessions so I cannot comment when using that top cap but it does show promise with the one it came with on the 1-2 plate setting. It has a very nice weight to it and the handle is great.

I backed the original Kickstarter as well, but mine was more than disappointing; it is entirely unusable. Blade exposure is uneven regardless of the plate used, and there are some plates that show a distinct wave in the blade.

As some have already said, the guys at Rockwell have committed to provide a new top cap to all backers, and my hope is that this will produce a usable razor, but the timeframe provided for this was not until September. Given this is the case, I can't help but wonder what it is that they are currently selling. I know many backers received razors that were at least usable, so perhaps I'm in the minority, but it strikes me that even if the blade fit flat into the razor, the geometry will be all over the place given the inconsistent finish of the caps. I would definitely advise caution.

As every new endeavor, sometimes things don't go according to plan. I like my set, can it be better? Sure! I will wait for the new caps to come in and made another assessment. So far my shaves have been good and my cap doesn't give the blade the wavy look or feel.

I agree with my friends, they need to make it right for everyone and I believe they will. I just want to say, be patient.

As every new endeavor, sometimes things don't go according to plan. I like my set, can it be better? Sure! I will wait for the new caps to come in and made another assessment. So far my shaves have been good and my cap doesn't give the blade the wavy look or feel.

I agree with my friends, they need to make it right for everyone and I believe they will. I just want to say, be patient.

I am confident they will. I've spoken with Gareth at Rockwell (I must say, he has a great name! :thumbup1:) several times within the last week and he has made it clear he is fully committed to making things right.
I'm pretty excited with this project actually. I think it's great they've decided to piece out their product. I think they'll have a good chance being a major player in the stainless razor market once things calm down a bit.

I actually have an EJ 89 top cap sitting around.... Mind testing a 89 top cap if you have on as well?

Here are a couple photos of an EJ 89 top cap on the Rockwell 6S handle and the 1-3 bar, on setting 1. The blade is straight as an arrow. I have the handles listed on TheHandleBarSupply right now and am working to get the adjustment bars added this afternoon.

$Photo May 18, 11 46 16 AM.jpg$Photo May 18, 11 47 14 AM.jpg$Photo May 18, 11 51 00 AM.jpg$Photo May 18, 11 59 38 AM.jpg$Photo May 18, 11 59 50 AM.jpg

Top Bottom