What's new

Favorite fresh tobacco

I know there are lots of Escudo fans, but I wasn't sure if everyone loves a fresh tin or aged Escudo. I know many VA or VAPer blends taste much better with age. What fresh tobacco(s) do you enjoy the most, without any age? Is it Escudo? I'm smoking some fresh Marlin Flake and am really enjoying it.

The general rule is that burleys and aros tend to benefit the least from aging. Alternatively, latakia fiends may prefer their stuff fresh, as latakia tends to mellow out with age.

I actually don't like fresh Escudo, because I don't get along well with fresh perique. I do really like Gawith, Hoggarth, and Co. blends without a lot of age on them. Ennerdale tastes awesome without much age on it, ditto for their heavier tobacco tasting stuff like Dark Bird's Eye.

Other great blends that I like fresh are Solani Aged Burley Flake and Solani Silver Flake.

Fresh out of the package I've really been loving Orlik Golden Sliced and Luxury Bullseye flake. Marlin Flake is another solid choice for me.

I've been kinda on the hunt with the same question. For my ps luxury bullseye flake is pretty good fresh. Still trying more fresh virginia and va'pers. Fresh Latakia stuff hasn't seemed to bother me much. Frog morton stuff is great. Dunhill 965 is good. Orlik dark strong Kentucky is pretty good with not much age (maybe just a little to tone down the anise flavor). Haven't tried fresh escudo before.

Never have tried any Gawith and hoggarth blends but they sound nice. Lakeland stuff kinda intrigues me too. I'll be watching this thread for ideas on what to try next :thumbup1:

I don't keep tobacco long enough to age it. Dunhill Early Morning Pipe (bulk) and G L Pease Robusto are probably what I smoke the most. Of Lake District tobaccos G&H Rum Flake has been my staple for years. It was my #1 smoke until Robusto shot it out of the saddle, but I still indulge in it daily. Coniston Cut Plug (G&H) is another Lake District tobacco that I love, but it is a love it or hate it tobacco. Sort of an aromatic in that it has a heavy casing. Great stuff if you like it, and heavy in vitamin N.

I haven't smoked an aged aro that I thought was improved by it. I haven't bothered much with aged lat blends either. The only one I've had that I'd say noticeably improved with age was DE Meat Pie. The latakia mellowing out made for a more complex flavor, which is to say that you could actually taste the other tobacco.

For fresh Va and VaPers I like Escudo, Hamborger Veermaster, Orlik Golden Sliced, H&H Louisiana Red, and DE Gatsby Flake.

Don't get too hung up on the aged tobacco thing. Most tobaccos were made to enjoy fresh. That's not to say they don't improve with age, but there's nothing wrong with popping a fresh tin and plowing in.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Every time I get a new tin of Solani Silver, I jar half and smoke the other half top to bottom and finish it within a week, so I guess that counts!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Carter Hall
Just smoked a bowl of CH last night, from a mason jar that I had forgotten about for almost 2 years. It was tucked away deep in the closet and out of sight, out of mind. It was really good. Sweet & nutty. I can't remember if CH eve tasted as good when fresh.

I have a good amount of tobacco stashed away for aging. I have each blend in multiple containers, so I can enjoy them in 3-5 years, 8-10 years and hopefully over 10 years. I will always want fresh blends on hand.

Everything I've been smoking is fresh...as I'm new and don't have enough stock for aging yet.
So far my favorite is Peter Stokkebye bullseye flake. Aside from the ridiculous amount of time I have to dry it.
Anyone age any of this tobacco? What kind of improvement can I expect from aging?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything I've been smoking is fresh...as I'm new and don't have enough stock for aging yet.
So far my favorite is Peter Stokkebye bullseye flake. Aside from the ridiculous amount of time I have to dry it.
Anyone age any of this tobacco? What kind of improvement can I expect from aging?

Bullseye Flake will age like a dream, but its good anyway you smoke it.

Altadis Z50 Black Cordial. It's a tobacco I have even aged for 11 years and it's just gotten better which is odd for a aromatic.

Bullseye Flake will age like a dream, but its good anyway you smoke it.

It's good as is....but I'm curious as to how exactly the flavor changes. Are we talking sweetness, depth, mellowing out?
As I said I'm new and just curious what to expect. I did jar and put away a tin or dunhill royal yacht that was just a little harsh/strong to me. I bought it at a nearby cigar shop, so it could have been quite old already.
Currently I like bullseye flake, glengarry flake, and carter hall in that order. I've tried a few more, but have preference to these. I had a short spell with captain black Black Sea. I loved it at first and then less and less each smoke.

My favorite fresh tin smoke is Mac Barry Vanilla Cream Flake. I've discovered that I have a bit of a sweet tooth when it comes to my favorite tobacco.

My favorite fresh tin smoke is Mac Barry Vanilla Cream Flake. I've discovered that I have a bit of a sweet tooth when it comes to my favorite tobacco.

I got a tin of that in my drawer. Haven't cracked it open yet. Maybe I should soon. I have a huge sweet tooth haha.

I got a tin of that in my drawer. Haven't cracked it open yet. Maybe I should soon. I have a huge sweet tooth haha.

You'll love it, I think, from reading some of your other tobacco likes. I've been buying it in bulk and storing it in Mason jars as my wife really likes the room note and I enjoy to taste. I think I'm at 40 ounces of it right now. It off sets my Balmoral stash perfectly, as I really enjoy the spiciness of the Balmoral as a contrast to the Vanilla Cream Flake.

Top Bottom