What's new

Favorite fresh tobacco

You'll love it, I think, from reading some of your other tobacco likes. I've been buying it in bulk and storing it in Mason jars as my wife really likes the room note and I enjoy to taste. I think I'm at 40 ounces of it right now. It off sets my Balmoral stash perfectly, as I really enjoy the spiciness of the Balmoral as a contrast to the Vanilla Cream Flake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome! I'll crack it open and try it the next few days. Got so many things open haha

It's good as is....but I'm curious as to how exactly the flavor changes. Are we talking sweetness, depth, mellowing out?
As I said I'm new and just curious what to expect. I did jar and put away a tin or dunhill royal yacht that was just a little harsh/strong to me. I bought it at a nearby cigar shop, so it could have been quite old already.
Currently I like bullseye flake, glengarry flake, and carter hall in that order. I've tried a few more, but have preference to these. I had a short spell with captain black Black Sea. I loved it at first and then less and less each smoke.

All Virginas age well and will lose some of the bite and grow naturally sweeter and the Perique will mellow. Royal Yacht is Va based but has a plum flavoring added which doesn't help the aging process and it is stout by design. Not sure how well it ages, but some Va Pers and Va Burs become a whole different smoke with some years in the cellar. Escudo and Stonehaven are good examples.

I liked a bunch of stuff fresh.
McClelland 5100
Carter Hall
Tinderbox Reserve 1928
Frog Morton On The Town

Most stuff I smoke currently is fresh. I'm working through my open jars, and then its all aged (except specific tobaccos) from here on out.

Side note:
I just had some aged Escudo (1yr 9 months) for the first time a couple days ago. It blows fresh escudo away. I'm actually not a huge fan of Escudo fresh. Its OK, but its a bit harsh around the edges IMO. Aged it took on a deeper, richer flavor...so good. I imagine Bullseye flake will do the same...I hope so, because I feel similarly about it. I'll smoke it fresh (its sweeter then Escudo, thanks to the Black Cav, I guess) but I would like to have it smooth up a bit.

You'll love it, I think, from reading some of your other tobacco likes. I've been buying it in bulk and storing it in Mason jars as my wife really likes the room note and I enjoy to taste. I think I'm at 40 ounces of it right now. It off sets my Balmoral stash perfectly, as I really enjoy the spiciness of the Balmoral as a contrast to the Vanilla Cream Flake.

Tell me more of this Balmoral please.

I haven't tried Nightcap to compare (first tin is on the way). But it kinda reminded me of Seattle pipe club Mississippi river. Its a ribbon as apposed to a cake. Very hearty and savory. But weirdly I get a tad of sweetness when I light it or relight it.

I haven't tried Nightcap to compare (first tin is on the way). But it kinda reminded me of Seattle pipe club Mississippi river. Its a ribbon as apposed to a cake. Very hearty and savory. But weirdly I get a tad of sweetness when I light it or relight it.

Oh wow. I get no sweetness whatsoever! Lol. I need to try the Seattle Pipe Club offerings eventually though

Oh wow. I get no sweetness whatsoever! Lol. I need to try the Seattle Pipe Club offerings eventually though

Weirdly I only get the sweetness when I have a flame on it. Otherwise I dont get any when smoking it. Just during the light. Its almost a twangy sweetness. Maybe I'm just imagining it haha or maybe something to do with the age of it or something. Good stuff either way :thumbup:

If you ever come through easley your welcome to sample anything I have opened.

Love all English blends fresh and prefer them to aged, though I'll end up having a decent amount of aged English as I don't get to strike a match as often as I'd like. I like Squadron Leader fresh, but feel that it is really going to age nicely, so that may be one "English" that I'll prefer aged.

I am very interested in the Balmoral you mentioned.... That sounds quite tasty.

Weirdly I only get the sweetness when I have a flame on it. Otherwise I dont get any when smoking it. Just during the light. Its almost a twangy sweetness. Maybe I'm just imagining it haha or maybe something to do with the age of it or something. Good stuff either way :thumbup:

If you ever come through easley your welcome to sample anything I have opened.

Thanks man, haven't been up that way in a long time. Pendleton occasionally but not Easley.

Love all English blends fresh and prefer them to aged, though I'll end up having a decent amount of aged English as I don't get to strike a match as often as I'd like. I like Squadron Leader fresh, but feel that it is really going to age nicely, so that may be one "English" that I'll prefer aged.

I am very interested in the Balmoral you mentioned.... That sounds quite tasty.

Shoot me a pm...it is good stuff!

Top Bottom