May 2024 GRUME 6/31
Shave Date 5/7/2024
Razor:
1952 Flare tip Super Speed.
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (3)
Pre-Shave: Razor Emporium Pre-Shave soap
Soap: Ariana & Evans Spartacus (6)
Brush: Zenith 507-IF Italian Flag Boar
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, Nivea Post Shave Balm, Sterling Executive Man A/S
Rating: 28.5/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 8.5 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

Another great shave with the Personna today, which has quickly gone to the head of the class with the GSB and Nacets, but this one is still in production. I intended to do three passes today as I washed off the lather after the third pass, it was a purt near good shave and I was going to call it quits. But, I felt of the right jaw line, and those dastardly sea lions were taunting me, ya missed some, ya missed some. Ohh yeah, you fat som'a'na'beeches, I lathered up and did one more ATG pass to clean it up. I set the razor down and washed off again, not the very best but better, and the sea lions knew to keep their mouths shut, otherwise they'd be bald today. I did have more feedback from the alum block today, which I have with all the Personna shaves, but all have been extremely close and comfortable.

I managed to tank one of my Platinum Preppy cartridges yesterday and I have cleaned out the cartridge and the feed/nib unit of the pen. They are currently drying out now and next, I'll load some other ink into the cartridge and see how it works. As Boris has mentioned before, the Preppy is a good cheap throw-around pen, one I'll use at work as I am not worried about losing it. For the price, anywhere from $4-7 depending on the amounts and who you buy from, the nibs are very good, smooth, and behave very well. As a bonus, Platinum standard ink cartridges work fine on multi-purpose copy paper. I did try the King Charles III Coronation Blue on Rhodia paper and no sheen was noticeable, this may be because I have mostly fine and extra fine nibs currently in my pens. I need to procure some other nibs and try them out.

That is all for today, I wish all a blessed Tuesday, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_3086.jpeg

300+ Shaves in 2024 118 of 300+
May 2024 GRUME 6/31
Shave Date 5/7/2024
Razor:
1952 Flare tip Super Speed.
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (3)
Soap: Ariana & Evans Spartacus (6)
Brush: Zenith 507-IF Italian Flag Boar
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, Nivea Post Shave Balm, Sterling Executive Man A/S
Rating: 28.5/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 8.5 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

Another great shave with the Personna today, which has quickly gone to the head of the class with the GSB and Nacets, but this one is still in production. I intended to do three passes today as I washed off the lather after the third pass, it was a purt near good shave and I was going to call it quits. But, I felt of the right jaw line, and those dastardly sea lions were taunting me, ya missed some, ya missed some. Ohh yeah, you fat som'a'na'beeches, I lathered up and did one more ATG pass to clean it up. I set the razor down and washed off again, not the very best but better, and the sea lions knew to keep their mouths shut, otherwise they'd be bald today. I did have more feedback from the alum block today, which I have with all the Personna shaves, but all have been extremely close and comfortable.

I managed to tank one of my Platinum Preppy cartridges yesterday and I have cleaned out the cartridge and the feed/nib unit of the pen. They are currently drying out now and next, I'll load some other ink into the cartridge and see how it works. As Boris has mentioned before, the Preppy is a good cheap throw-around pen, one I'll use at work as I am not worried about losing it. For the price, anywhere from $4-7 depending on the amounts and who you buy from, the nibs are very good, smooth, and behave very well. As a bonus, Platinum standard ink cartridges work fine on multi-purpose copy paper. I did try the King Charles III Coronation Blue on Rhodia paper and no sheen was noticeable, this may be because I have mostly fine and extra fine nibs currently in my pens. I need to procure some other nibs and try them out.

That is all for today, I wish all a blessed Tuesday, and may all your shaves be the best.

View attachment 1842231
Cannot remember if you got a Lamy Safari/Al-star, but Pure Pens sells the Lamy nibs for like $10, so if you you are ordering anything from them anyways that is a good addon item. I think the lowest you will find those nibs state side is about $15. I have bought several from them and they are really easy to swap on the Lamys.

Cannot remember if you got a Lamy Safari/Al-star, but Pure Pens sells the Lamy nibs for like $10, so if you you are ordering anything from them anyways that is a good addon item. I think the lowest you will find those nibs state side is about $15. I have bought several from them and they are really easy to swap on the Lamys.
I have one of each, and you read my mind, that was the nibs I was thinking of changing up, they are so easy to remove and replace, it can be done on the fly without draining the ink.

300+ Shaves in 2024 119 of 300+
May 2024 GRUME 7/31
Shave Date 5/8/2024
Razor: 1950's English Ball End Tech.
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (4)
Soap: Ariana & Evans Spartacus (7)
Brush: Zenith 502 Unbleached Boar
Rating: 28.5/30 9 for Comfort, 9 for cuts and weepers(3+), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

Today the Personna yielded the worst score I have given a shave ever, due to one spot on the last ATG pass. I have a patch on the left side of the goatee area that is more sensitive on the ATG passes than any other place on my face. For some reason, I can feel the blade there more. Today I was more aggressive with the pass, doing a diagonal ATG pass that more conforms to the direction of growth, and I felt it today. The prudent shaver would have stopped and tried another angle of attack. Me?? Hellllll to the naugh, damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead, annnnnnddddd I saw blood. Not too bad, not too good, I needed a few dabs of the Styptic Pencil to get it to stop completely. Needless to say, after the hack job on the ATG pass, I did not preform any touch up passes. Other than that, it was a fine shave. Haha. The Personna was preforming admirably until today, and through no fault of its own, the scores plummeted. Tomorrow will be a cautious shave to allow my face to recover. Looking in the mirror now, it’s not too noticeable.

I’m working the other store today and brought two Platimum Preppies to the store. One with Platinum black ink and one with Platinum blue/black ink. I’m all fountain pens at work now. I haven’t refilled the spent cartridge yet, as I saw some water in it yesterday, back to the cup lined with a paper towel to dry out.

That’s all for today, I wish all a blessed Wednesday, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_3089.jpeg

May 2024 GRUME 7/31
Shave Date 5/8/2024
Rating: 28.5/30 9 for Comfort, 9 for cuts and weepers(3+), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

Today the Personna yielded the worst score I have given a shave ever, due to one spot on the last ATG pass. I have a patch on the left side of the goatee area that is more sensitive on the ATG passes than any other place on my face. For some reason, I can feel the blade there more. Today I was more aggressive with the pass, doing a diagonal ATG pass that more conforms to the direction of growth, and I felt it today. The prudent shaver would have stopped and tried another angle of attack. Me?? Hellllll to the naugh, damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead, annnnnnddddd I saw blood. Not too bad, not too good, I needed a few dabs of the Styptic Pencil to get it to stop completely. Needless to say, after the hack job on the ATG pass, I did not preform any touch up passes. Other than that, it was a fine shave. Haha. The Personna was preforming admirably until today, and through no fault of its own, the scores plummeted. Tomorrow will be a cautious shave to allow my face to recover. Looking in the mirror now, it’s not too noticeable.

I’m working the other store today and brought two Platimum Preppies to the store. One with Platinum black ink and one with Platinum blue/black ink. I’m all fountain pens at work now. I haven’t refilled the spent cartridge yet, as I saw some water in it yesterday, back to the cup lined with a paper towel to dry out.

That’s all for today, I wish all a blessed Wednesday, and may all your shaves be the best.

View attachment 1842780
Heal up quickly there John!

May 2024 GRUME 7/31
Shave Date 5/8/2024

Notes:

my View attachment 1842780
My father would tell me that such mishaps build character. That probably explains why I am such a character...

Heal quickly.

My father would tell me that such mishaps build character. That probably explains why I am such a character...

Heal quickly.
Our fathers are much alike, old man used to tell me the same thing. Also, if I told him I needed something, he'd prove to me that I didn't need it at all by not giving it to me. I miss him, he was a good man.

Thanks for the well-wishes, it is all healed up.

Speaking of character...I remember shaving one time when I was renting an apartment. I was using a Black Beauty I got from my dad and some canned goop. Now I had smoked some recreational substances before shaving...I know, smart...right?
The landlady used to come around to collect the rent and say hello, find out if there were any concerns etc. Very nice person.
Now because I had smoked up my hand-eye co-ordination was off by a bit. No matter...soldier on. Well, I did and cut the living daylights outta myself. I had cuts and nicks north, south, east and west...and they're bleeding. Quite a bit. In the state I was in I found this to be somewhat fascinating. As I'm studying this, my doorbell rings and I just go and answer the door. It's the landlady
She takes one look at my face and wheels around and almost sprints back to her apartment. No words, screams or anything. I'm confused. So I go back to the bathroom and well, I look like someone in a slasher movie...victimwise. Oops. So I clean myself up and use bandaids etc and look somewhat ok. I'm not going out though because I just don't look that good. Then I go to the landlady's apartment and knock. I explain what happened through the door and slide the cheque under the door, thinking she might need some time to recover. She says thank you and suggests an electric razor for next time. I laugh and say I just need more practise. She replies "A LOT more practise".

253193cb-7b6b-4db3-8b03-816531af09e7_text.gif

300+ Shaves in 2024 120 of 300+
May 2024 GRUME 8/31
Shave Date 5/9/2024
Razor:
1948 Super Speed.
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (5)
Soap: Ariana & Evans Spartacus (9)
Brush: ZYaqi Cavern Lake 24mm Two Band Badger
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

The fifth and final shave with the Personna was much better than the 4th, no user error today as I used extra caution. The neck received only two WTG N-S passes today, on the third and final ATG pass I only lathered up the cheeks. There is more sea lion fur on the neck vs my latest shaves, but I had zero feedback from the alum block today. To be honest, the neck is not that far off the latest shaves where I was getting extremely close, it is about the same as before I discovered the optimal pass direction and angle to mow down the fur patch to almost nothing. The cheeks are still BBS, a great shave to follow up the butchering of yesterday. I have two candidates for the next blade, a Kai or a Rapira Platinum Lux, what do you fine gentlemen recommend coming off the hack job I just did with the Personna?

I finished my Mother's Day poem and mailed it off to my mother. I am somewhat of a smartarse, I know that is hard to believe, but it is true. I included many references to us and her dealing with our shenanigans. I did leave out the part about her having to do #2 when I called, I figured that was best for another poem. Haha. I wrote the poem on Rhodia paper with Pure Pens Westgate Hotel to have a shimmering effect, I think the pen needs a clean-out and reload as the shimmer wasn't as noticeable as before even after shaking up the pen to resuspend the shimmer. But Mom will not care either way, she'll be happy with the poem itself and the fact she can actually read her youngest son's handwriting. The reputation for my atrocious handwriting goes far and wide. It took me a few attempts to get it right, I did not want any scratch-outs on this poem and I kept on making little mistakes I was not satisfied with. Being late in the evening and cats jumping on the table to check out what I was writing didn't help. They probably wanted me to mention them, which I didn't.

The Platinum Preppy and cartridge I cleaned out took two days to dry out completely, I loaded it with Diamaine Writers Blood for the red ink I'll use signing control invoices and control scrips, it writes just fine on my work papers. These Preppies will work out just fine as work pens, pens that if lost won't hurt the pocketbook too much, with inks that perform well on the copy paper I mostly write on.

That is all for today, I wish all a blessed Thursday, and may all of your shaves be the best.

IMG_3093.jpeg

May 2024 GRUME 8/31
Shave Date 5/9/2024
Razor:
1948 Super Speed.
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

The fifth and final shave with the Personna was much better than the 4th, no user error today as I used extra caution. The neck received only two WTG N-S passes today, on the third and final ATG pass I only lathered up the cheeks. There is more sea lion fur on the neck vs my latest shaves, but I had zero feedback from the alum block today. To be honest, the neck is not that far off the latest shaves where I was getting extremely close, it is about the same as before I discovered the optimal pass direction and angle to mow down the fur patch to almost nothing. The cheeks are still BBS, a great shave to follow up the butchering of yesterday. I have two candidates for the next blade, a Kai or a Rapira Platinum Lux, what do you fine gentlemen recommend coming off the hack job I just did with the Personna?

I finished my Mother's Day poem and mailed it off to my mother. I am somewhat of a smartarse, I know that is hard to believe, but it is true. I included many references to us and her dealing with our shenanigans. I did leave out the part about her having to do #2 when I called, I figured that was best for another poem. Haha. I wrote the poem on Rhodia paper with Pure Pens Westgate Hotel to have a shimmering effect, I think the pen needs a clean-out and reload as the shimmer wasn't as noticeable as before even after shaking up the pen to resuspend the shimmer. But Mom will not care either way, she'll be happy with the poem itself and the fact she can actually read her youngest son's handwriting. The reputation for my atrocious handwriting goes far and wide. It took me a few attempts to get it right, I did not want any scratch-outs on this poem and I kept on making little mistakes I was not satisfied with. Being late in the evening and cats jumping on the table to check out what I was writing didn't help. They probably wanted me to mention them, which I didn't.

The Platinum Preppy and cartridge I cleaned out took two days to dry out completely, I loaded it with Diamaine Writers Blood for the red ink I'll use signing control invoices and control scrips, it writes just fine on my work papers. These Preppies will work out just fine as work pens, pens that if lost won't hurt the pocketbook too much, with inks that perform well on the copy paper I mostly write on.

That is all for today, I wish all a blessed Thursday, and may all of your shaves be the best.

View attachment 1843232
Diamine Writer's Blood is a great red I have heard. That is one I have not tried. I am happy that it is working well on copy paper. I will have add some to my next Pure Pen's order. Your mom will love the poem, because you did it for her. She will feel very special. 😍

May 2024 GRUME 8/31
Shave Date 5/9/2024
Razor:
1948 Super Speed.

Notes:

View attachment 1843232
Have a lovely Thursday yourself!

Diamine Writer's Blood is a great red I have heard. That is one I have not tried. I am happy that it is working well on copy paper. I will have add some to my next Pure Pen's order. Your mom will love the poem, because you did it for her. She will feel very special. 😍
Thanks, but I just looked over the pic I took of it before sealing the envelope, and I noticed a mistake, DOH!!!!. I'll do it again tonight, this gives me the opportunity to reload the converter with new ink, hopefully, it will shimmer more this time.

Have a lovely Thursday yourself!
You as well my friend, best of luck with the Mother's Day festivities this weekend. My wife requested ribs, so ribs it will be.

300+ Shaves in 2024 121 of 300+
May 2024 GRUME 9/31
Shave Date 5/10/2024
Razor:
1967 Slim Adjustable TTO.
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (1)
Soap: Ariana & Evans Spartacus (10)
Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket 26mm Synthetic
Rating: 27.5/30 9 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 8.5 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes

The first WTG pass today was on setting 9 of the Slim, this resulted in a rough first pass with the Rapira. Bumping down the setting to 7 for the XTG pass made a huge difference. Again the neck received no ATG work, today in addition to the N-S pass I did some S-N passes on the neck. I did an ATG clean-up pass on the right sea lion fur patch, with great results no blood, and not much more irritation than any other blade with a similar pass. I took it easy on the left side where the nicks were before, using ultra-light touch and bumping the setting to 3, but I still drew a slight amount of blood, nothing like the butchering of two shaves ago, but still blood, when normally I see none. I will see how the Rapira behaves in one of my Techs or the Rocket tomorrow, it is likely setting 9 on the adjustable Slim is too much for this blade. The Atomic Rocket is a fine brush, it does sling some lather, I saw a bit fly over my shoulder onto whatever furbaby was sitting behind me this morning, but I kept it mostly off the walls. 10 Shaves into Spartacus and I see a slight indention in the tub, I can see where it is receding some. I am not being conservative with my brush loading and I rinse out copious amounts of later at the end of the shave, but my goal isn't to conserve soap, it is to use up my stash before 30 years go by. Once I establish how many shaves I can get out of a croap, I'll have a better idea of just how long my stash of soaps will last. Hard soaps will be a different story than the Croaps, but I have few of them in comparison to the croaps.

I sat down to rewrite my mom's poem and fix the mistake I noticed after sending the initial poem off, with a beer or two. It took many takes before I got it right, about 10. Now I have plenty of scrap Rhodia paper to write on, and I had green fingers from cleaning out a pen and reloading with Pure Pens John Frost. I mailed it off last night, unfortunately, all options to send the letter would arrive on Monday, from 68 cents forever stamp to $33 priority mail. Mom got the 68 cents stamp, she wouldn't want me to waste money.

As I mentioned in Don's (@huck1680) journal, in a moment of weakness seeing his new LAMY 2000, I google searched LAMY Studio, and the river store was selling them for $44 and some cents, the cheapest I've found it by far, they usually sell in the $65-70+ range, the seller was The LAMY store, so it seemed legit. We shall see, I know Amazon is notorious for selling fakes on many items. Checking last night and the same pen was over $50. I was limited to an EF nib option for that price, but I have a few extra LAMY nibs headed this way from Pure Pens, so that wasn't an issue. It should be in on Saturday, I also saw a LAMY 2000 for a huge discount, but I resisted that, for now.

That is all for a Friday, I wish all a blessed day, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_3096.jpeg

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
I like the Rapira Platinum Lux, but I found that it is extremely sensitive to the razor. In some razors, it cuts uber smoothly without any insult. In others, the aftershave stings mightily to let me know my skin did not appreciate the assault.

Top Bottom