• Leaf Twig Razor

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Leaf Thorn Razor

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 11 24.4%

• Total voters
Hi!

I've always used the Gillette Mach3 cartridge razor for years and it has served me well, but now I want to get a more quality and close shave so I've been looking for a new razor.

My goal is to get one razor and use it forever without worrying about getting another razor. I did some research and I came across 3 brands that might be good: Henson, Rockwell, and the Leaf Razor.

Below are the criteria that I'm looking for in a razor:

Versatility
I want a razor that I can use for my head, face, and body.

Smoothness
I want a smooth shave that cuts and doesn't tug on the hair. I also want to reduce nicks, cuts, razor burns, and irritation.

Time
With my Gillette Mach3, it takes me about 30-45 minutes to shave my head and get a close shave. I want a razor that can reduce the shaving time.

Closeness

I want a razor that can cut as close as possible to my scalp and face and give me a BBS shave.

You mentioned head shaving too, so probably the Henson or Leaf from your list. If money is no object, the Blackland Osprey Ti.

My goal is to get one razor and use it forever
Run!! This is not the place for you and your goal….🤣

If you’re looking for one razor that will last forever I would be looking at stainless, bronze, brass, Ti….etc. I believe the razors you listed are all good razors. I only have the Henson, but lots of good reviews on the others in your list. If you have a decent budget I could suggest some great razors to investigate.

Run!! This is not the place for you and your goal….🤣

If you’re looking for one razor that will last forever I would be looking at stainless, bronze, brass, Ti….etc. I believe the razors you listed are all good razors. I only have the Henson, but lots of good reviews on the others in your list. If you have a decent budget I could suggest some great razors to investigate.
Sounds good I'll keep that in mind 😂!

I would love to hear your razor suggestions

My goal is to get one razor and use it forever without worrying about getting another razor. I did some research and I came across 3 brands that might be good: Henson, Rockwell, and the Leaf Razor.
I voted Henson AL13-M. I'm familiar with all of these and all have a great reputation, but I've only used the 2 Hensons personally of those, so take that into account.

I also came from cartridges (Sensor Excel), and there's definitely a transition period, so keep that in mind. I started with the AL13 (mild), and that's normally what I would recommend to anyone coming from cartridges. But if you really don't want to worry about getting another razor ever, then given your criteria, I'd suggest the AL13-M.

Versatility
I want a razor that I can use for my head, face, and body.
Plenty of folks use all of these for head, face, and body. The exception there might be the Leaf, it's got a big head and is probably less useful for face shaving.

Smoothness
I want a smooth shave that cuts and doesn't tug on the hair. I also want to reduce nicks, cuts, razor burns, and irritation.
No worries there, once you get past the transition period. You're used to applying pressure shaving with your Mach 3. You want as close to zero pressure as possible with any of these razors. The AL13-M is only slightly more aggressive than the AL13 (mild), so while the mild would be a little easier to transition with fewer cuts, the difference is small and the medium will be more what you're looking for in the long run.

Time
With my Gillette Mach3, it takes me about 30-45 minutes to shave my head and get a close shave. I want a razor that can reduce the shaving time.
I don't know what your routine is like now, so maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt that any razor will reduce shaving time compared to a cartridge.

Closeness
I want a razor that can cut as close as possible to my scalp and face and give me a BBS shave.
You'll be hard pressed to find a razor that can shave closer that an AL13-M.

If I had to select just one razor I'm putting my vote on the Rockwell 6C or 6S. Incredibly smooth and user friendly and you adjust from mild to aggressive by changing base plates.

I recently jumped into the RazoRock Game Changer and Lupo lines from the 6C. I'm liking the overall quality of shaves I'm getting from my RazoRocks, but there's more trial and error involved in selecting and ordering the ideal razor type and base plate, whereas the Rockwell 6C/6S already includes the 6 different aggression settings.

+1 on the 6S. It won’t win any beauty contest, is a bit bulky, but it will shave with nearly any blade. You may end up picking one plate and sticking to it, or switching it up depending on days of growth or body part. I have the AL13+ that I just don’t enjoy as much as others. My wife uses a Leaf and loves it. She also has a twig that she doesn’t use.

With the Rockwell 6C I found myself sticking to one plate (R4) for the bulk of my head shaves and only sometimes wanting a milder setting (R3 in my case) for times that I just wanted less risk of irritation or nicks, or a quicker autopilot shave. The main perk of the 6C/6S is having the 6 plate options to play around with and figure out what works better for you.

I absolutely love the RazoRock lines, but testing out the different base plates and options would be more costly than just grabbing a 6C/6S.

I tripped headfirst down a RazoRock rabbit hole and am now about ~$300 deep into my new collection of razors and base plate combinations (which I regret not at all 😁). Practically speaking, I probably would have been happy just having one go-to daily driver and then one milder option to have handy, but I wouldn’t have know which ones worked best for me without buying and trying them.

If you’re looking for just one razor and not a collection, I’d say go for the Rockwell 6C/6S.

With the Rockwell 6C I found myself sticking to one plate (R4) for the bulk of my head shaves and only sometimes wanting a milder setting (R3 in my case) for times that I just wanted less risk of irritation or nicks, or a quicker autopilot shave. The main perk of the 6C/6S is having the 6 plate options to play around with and figure out what works better for you.

I absolutely love the RazoRock lines, but testing out the different base plates and options would be more costly than just grabbing a 6C/6S.

I tripped headfirst down a RazoRock rabbit hole and am now about ~$300 deep into my new collection of razors and base plate combinations (which I regret not at all 😁). Practically speaking, I probably would have been happy just having one go-to daily driver and then one milder option to have handy, but I wouldn’t have know which ones worked best for me without buying and trying them.

If you’re looking for just one razor and not a collection, I’d say go for the Rockwell 6C/6S.
I concur with your opinion. I'm also a huge fan of the Leaf Twig/Thorn. They'd be a close second. But either the 6S or 6C offer adjustability and almost unparalleled smoothness.
I'm also a Game Changer fan. That would be a decent choice as well.
But when push comes to shove, I'd recommend either of the Rockwells. They're that good.

First, I would like to welcome you to B&B. Your’e in the right place. A lot of good folks here who can give you good sound advise.

I’m relatively new here as well and now to DE shaving, 2 months.

I came from using cart Gillette fusion 5. I thought the more blades the better.

My first DE razor was Rockwell 6S, using plate R4. Why because we have the same criteria.

I also have both Henson Mild & Medium. I call them my light & dark sabers.

Considering all the requirements you listed above and the versatility to choose aggressiveness suited for you.

Rockwell 6S ticks all the boxes and would definitely last you for a lifetime and even the next. 🤔🤣

Both can shave and give good results.
But again that’s my own personal assessment, YMMV.

May the force be with you.

IMG_8888.jpeg

I head shave. I just started with a DE about a month ago. I've been using a GFS Bayonetta, but I'm waiting on a Yates Winning that I expect will do that job.

6S

6S

6S

6S

In fact with those key words I think you just created a marketing campaign for the Rockwell company.
I ALMOST picked the 6S, I have the chrome model and it does produce nice results. I still think for head shaving the Twig or the Thorn would be better. I think the 6C chrome model might glide better - maybe? IDK I don't think the OP can wrong with any of the ones he's looking at.

Your requirements are literally what everyone wants from their razors for the most part so everyone is just going to give you their favorite razor as you don't have a reference.

I will say... If you want it to last for ever... Get a machined razor in a quality metal. No zamac.

45 min to shave head? Bro - I use a Karve Overlander for head and face. 1st pass overlander for 98%. Second pass cartridge for clean up. 3 to 5 min max.

Your requirements are literally what everyone wants from their razors for the most part so everyone is just going to give you their favorite razor as you don't have a reference.

I will say... If you want it to last for ever... Get a machined razor in a quality metal. No zamac.

45 min to shave head? Bro - I use a Karve Overlander for head and face. 1st pass overlander for 98%. Second pass cartridge for clean up. 3 to 5 min max.
If you want fast, then get a slant bar razor.

Top Bottom