What's new

So I have some sampling to do...

Forgot to post the pic.

Attachments

• 20240504_184524.jpg
    20240504_184524.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 59
So out of the gate the Crown Platinum Class blade is so smooth. 2nd shave and seems to be getting sharper as the coating is wearing off. Normal 2 passes and touch up before work. Very impressed so far.
You don't have the Lord Platinum Class in your sampler, but if you ever have an opportunity I'd be curious if you think there is a difference between the Crown Platinum Class and it.

IMG_20240502_144900747.jpg

Have fun exploring that great assortment

I've only shaved with a few of those blades in your sampler pack. The 7 o'clock black are very sharp, smooth and long lasting - amazing blades but the prices have gotten silly expensive for them now. Nacet are also very sharp, smooth and long lasting. The Treet Platinum impress me with how good they are at bargain basement prices (I think I paid $10 for 200).

Forgot to post the pic.
That’s a great way to start. The R89 was my first go to razor for almost a year and I still think it’s a great razor but a little too mild. If you ever want to bump up the efficiency a little check out making a shim. I think it made a noticeable difference in my R89 and I didn’t notice any increase in blade feel but it did cut closer. I’ve also used an old EJ89 that has a lot bigger blade gap then the new ones and think it’s one of the best razors I’ve ever used. A shame Muhle or EJ don’t offer the 89 with a bit more blade gap from the factory.

On your blades my top picks would be the Nacet, Astras, and all 3 of the 7 O’Clocks were great when I tested them.

You are missing a couple of the most recommended blades. The Gillette Silver Blue should definitely be added to your list. And after that the PermaSharp would be good to test as well. The Permas aren’t my top pick but they are so many peoples favorite blade that it’s worth trying. Those 2 are definitely ones to try out before they’re gone from the market. To me it’s hard to surpass a Silver Blue (GSB) with what’s currently available.

And if you want some more most popular blades to test out you should try the Personna Comfort Coated/Lab Blues, Feather, Bic platinum, Wizamet, Dorco Prime, Wilkinson Sword varieties, and maybe Gillette Platinum (Russian) - both light and dark.

It’s a lot of fun testing but it takes a long time especially if you run the blade to its full extent 4-5 shaves. When I’m testing a bunch of new blades I only do 1 shave starting out and dry the blade and put it back in the wrapper so I can move onto the next. If I find a blade that really wows me I may push it to make sure it’s gonna last so I can go ahead and order a 100+.

My advice is use your 89 for a few months to get your technique down and try out the blades and order bulk of your favorites (especially if they’re Russian since they’ll be gone soon) and after you have everything down you can pick up a couple more razors to test.

Out of 30-40 razors my favorite so far is the RazoRock Game Changer series. They are superb quality for the price of $55. Probably the cheapest stainless razor you’ll find made in North America and is extremely popular for good reason. There’s plenty of other razors that may be better since I haven’t tested a lot of the $200+ razors and everyone’s face is different. Just keep it in mind in a few months if you decide to go down the razor hole.

For vintage it’s hard to beat the Gillette Tech for $15. And the Super Speeds are also great with my favorite being the more aggressive Red Tip. $10-30 each for most used vintage razors is a great way to start a collection. And if you ever want to try single edge razors the vintage Schick Injector’s and GEM razors are great too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1e4
That’s a great way to start. The R89 was my first go to razor for almost a year and I still think it’s a great razor but a little too mild. If you ever want to bump up the efficiency a little check out making a shim. I think it made a noticeable difference in my R89 and I didn’t notice any increase in blade feel but it did cut closer. I’ve also used an old EJ89 that has a lot bigger blade gap then the new ones and think it’s one of the best razors I’ve ever used. A shame Muhle or EJ don’t offer the 89 with a bit more blade gap from the factory.

On your blades my top picks would be the Nacet, Astras, and all 3 of the 7 O’Clocks were great when I tested them.

You are missing a couple of the most recommended blades. The Gillette Silver Blue should definitely be added to your list. And after that the PermaSharp would be good to test as well. The Permas aren’t my top pick but they are so many peoples favorite blade that it’s worth trying. Those 2 are definitely ones to try out before they’re gone from the market. To me it’s hard to surpass a Silver Blue (GSB) with what’s currently available.

And if you want some more most popular blades to test out you should try the Personna Comfort Coated/Lab Blues, Feather, Bic platinum, Wizamet, Dorco Prime, Wilkinson Sword varieties, and maybe Gillette Platinum (Russian) - both light and dark.

It’s a lot of fun testing but it takes a long time especially if you run the blade to its full extent 4-5 shaves. When I’m testing a bunch of new blades I only do 1 shave starting out and dry the blade and put it back in the wrapper so I can move onto the next. If I find a blade that really wows me I may push it to make sure it’s gonna last so I can go ahead and order a 100+.

My advice is use your 89 for a few months to get your technique down and try out the blades and order bulk of your favorites (especially if they’re Russian since they’ll be gone soon) and after you have everything down you can pick up a couple more razors to test.

Out of 30-40 razors my favorite so far is the RazoRock Game Changer series. They are superb quality for the price of $55. Probably the cheapest stainless razor you’ll find made in North America and is extremely popular for good reason. There’s plenty of other razors that may be better since I haven’t tested a lot of the $200+ razors and everyone’s face is different. Just keep it in mind in a few months if you decide to go down the razor hole.

For vintage it’s hard to beat the Gillette Tech for $15. And the Super Speeds are also great with my favorite being the more aggressive Red Tip. $10-30 each for most used vintage razors is a great way to start a collection. And if you ever want to try single edge razors the vintage Schick Injector’s and GEM razors are great too.
Thank you so much for all of the great information and suggestions. So far, the Crown Platinum is exceeding in it's performance. 3 shaves in with this blade and and it is smooth and sharp as ever. WTG, ATG and touch ups were a breeze. let's hope it will take 4 more shaves. Very impressed!!!!!

Top Bottom