What's new

Modern May 2024

1000001266.jpg

Razor: Blackland Sabre
Blade: Personna PTFE
Brush: Maggards 26mm SHD Fan
Soap and Splash: Catie’s Bubbles 322

First shave with the Sabre, it was honestly the shave that I have been searching for. I already knew I was starting to prefer SE over DE but the Sabre is on a whole other level. Since I’ve started wet shaving after I bought my second razor I’ve never used the same razor two days in a row. I think that’s about to change.

IMG_0565.jpeg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Saturday 20240504
Modern May 2024
20240502_163345~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Ti Vector SB (Rosseforp GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Schick Proline P (4 shaves, 8 passes)
Brush: AP Shave Co Lemon Drop (AP Shave Co 24mm G5C Fan)
Bowl: n/a
Lather: ARKO
Aftershave: Old Spice Original

Same kit as yesterday. Same outstanding performance and results.

Superb shave!

Additional notes are in My Journal.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Maybe it’s where Vintage April left off, ~1974 on?

I am getting a late start on this Modern May event. Sorry. Anyways, if the above quote is true, than this one counts. Or maybe not? Its the most "modern" of the Super Speed razors. The very last version from 1985. It was only around for a couple more years after this, then it was discontinued forever. The big difference between this version and the standard Black Handle that started back in the 60's is the baseplate design. This one has a very flat rectangular baseplate instead of the normal SS basplate with the raised diamond shape in the center. The results are an improved shave result, but an odd, hollow face feel. You can read my detailed observations of this shave in my journal linked in my sig.

I just needed to shave with this new-to-me razor. I will start hitting the real modern highly-engineered exotic metal wonders on the next shave. If this is not in line with the event criteria, feel free to blast away! :)

2024-05-04 16.03.27.jpg

Date05.05.2024
366 daily shaves
126/366

RazorBladeBrush
Lambda AthenaGillette Rubie Plus (10)Abe’s Brush Works Blutt STF
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
TGS Savage (8+9)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
9.75/10 (Very small red spot)6/10 (Razor sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
9.25/10
(BBS)
9/10 (Butterysmooth)

Notes:

Summary. A luxurious Sunday shave. Total bliss.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Late post of Saturday's Modern May shave #2 rated 10/10 using:
  • Razor: Rockwell 6S, #4 plate (excellent tank of a razor)
  • Blade: 1970s Personna 74 (6)
  • Brush: Razorock 400 Silver Noir Plissoft (amazing performance)
  • Pre-shave: Noxzema
  • Soap: Dutch Van der Lovett Grey (Dutch magic found through @Guido75)
  • Post shave: Thayer’s unscented Witch Hazel followed by Old Spice splash and Stirling Christmas Eve balm
PXL_20240504_132058518.jpg
This equipment is just so dang fantastic and getting the job done. The Personna 74 is going strong, feeling essentially new, this time in the 6S. This razor is just such a solidly great performer. I focused on using a light touch with my typical #4 plate, and I got a superb BBS result in two passes with minor touch ups. None of today’s hardware/software is fancy (possible exception for the vintage Personna 74), but the result is stunning. Even after 12 hours, my face was still smooth.

How long is this blade going to keep going like this?

My shave scoring log is found HERE.

Happy shaves everyone :badger:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Modern May

Last night’s pleasant shave
Triceratops by @SlimGem
Personna GEM PTFE (4)
Damp facecloth aka “shave binky”
AP ShaveCo G5A 26mm synthetic brush
Pre-shave: warm shower :001_wub: and a drop of hyaluronic acid
Lather: SV Opuntia sample bowl-loaded; face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky and a drop of hyaluronic acid
Post-shave: Equate moisturizer

Pressed a tiny bit of SV into my loading bowl. Looked too small, so I added some more. Still looked too small, but I went for it. Lathering unintentionally resembled the layering method of @AimlessWanderer so the shower and hyaluronic acid got additional prep.

Shave was basically same as time before. Good, but slower than I wanted. I must have dulled the blade.

Razor: Blackland Sabre Level 2
Blade: Personna PTFE (2)
Brush: Chisel & Hound
Soap and Aftershave: Catie’s Bubbles Reflection

2nd day using the Sabre, I have a feeling Modern May for me is going to be Sabre May with what Soap did I use. I LOVE this razor.

I got fancy with my pic today

IMG_0590.jpeg

It's quite impressive to see how the Chinese are able to push out affordable stainless steel double edge razors for sub 100 euro's. But this Gold Monkey, a fancier Gold Dollar version, is available at the cost of two breads.

They dont get alot of love among some of the SR afficionados because the spine is thick, they scales are rubbish, they arent very pretty and the steel isn't as hard as a 100 year old straight razor. But for the price, who cares really? These razors are all you would need to master the art of straight shaving. Ofcourse you'll need to be able to hone them, because the supplied edge could rival that of a teaspoon. If you can hone, or have someone near you that can and would want to do it for you, then this thing is hard to beat as a first SR. Also a good option to experiment on when you are learning how to hone yourself.

full

Top Bottom