What's new

Head Shaving with a DE Razor

@Ice09, I consider the Bayonetta a bargain. A CNC machined razor made in Italy from CW510L brass at $57 US. The Bayonetta is often descibed as mild/medium.

The videos and reviews I've found on the Yates Winning describe it as mild yet paradoxically efficient. It's a CNC machined stainless steel razor made in the USA.

Thanks. I've sort of decided I want to try a few slant razors out. Thanks to your recommendation on the Bayonetta, I found another one that TGS make called The Goodfellas' Smile Slant Legion which is on my list now.

Hopefully you're cool with me posting in your thread asking questions about other razors?
That said, you've got some choices. Adjustable or not? Two or three piece? Stainless, Zamak, plastic or a luxury metal? Are you well versed in fiddling with a razor to get things lined up, or do you prefer a razor that is good to go out of the box?

I'd say two or three piece, not adjustable for now (I've never used any adjustable razor, so can't really say on those). Stainless or Zamak is fine for now, Brass too.

I did some research and thought maybe these are ones I can look at to start with. I'd like to get a medium aggressive one and also one more aggressive.

The Goodfellas' Smile Slant Legion - Not sure what aggression level this is? Is it more on the medium side?
Fatip Lo Storto - Does this have blade alignment issues like the other Fatips? I never bought a Fatip due to reading that, but I've always wanted to try a Fatip OC razor, and since this is a slant, might be my chance to try a Fatip.
Merkur 37C or 39C - I assume this is more on the aggressive side. Not sure about shorter handle on the 37C as I've never used a shorter handle than 85mm. I am looking to try a shorter handle, though, to see if it gives more precision/control in my tougher areas to shave on the back of my head.
Yaqi Slant - I'm going to place an order at AliExpress soon, so I thought I might chuck in the chrome plated Yaqi slant razor head. Not sure if someone else has a better suggestion for a slant from AliExpress (doesn't have to be the Yaqi brand). This is the one I was looking at https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251...26cc9cd5pcDrxO&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

Not sure if you've got any other suggestions for something I can start with?

I also found a Parker 55 SL I think it's called, but I thought that one might be too mild? I guess there is also the Razorock German 37 too. Any chance someone could put all these in order for me on the levels or aggressiveness?

Ideally, I'm looking to buy 2 or 3 to start with. At least one medium aggressive and one more towards the aggressive level.

Also, if you don't think any of the above ones are any good for head shaving, please do tell me.

I think I will leave the Razorock Superslant L3 (not sure what level I'd get if trying the Superslant. I was thinking something in the L3 range - Do you find the OC plates better?) for now and try some cheaper medium-aggressive/aggressive ones first.

RazoRock's Superslants are darn fine razors. My personal sweet spot appears to be the L2OC ("L2++OC"). I had a beautiful BBS with that yesterday, and 30 hours later I was still smooth enough to pass in a dressy situation. I also have the L3SB which is just noticeably more aggressive than the L2, but as an SB razor there's functionally little difference between that and the L2OC. I have yet to decide to try the L3OC, but I may yet do that.

Interesting, so you like the L2++OC baseplate better than the L3 baseplate? Man, I'm confused with all the baseplates Razorock have with the Superslants. So they're all SB with different levels (L3, L3+, L3++) apart from the OC which is the same as the ++ just open comb instead of SB?

They work just like a plain DE. Only better. :) Lots of people use them.

Sounds good. I think a slant is definitely worth trying.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I did some research and thought maybe these are ones I can look at to start with. I'd like to get a medium aggressive one and also one more aggressive.

OK! I'll take them in order...

The Goodfellas' Smile Slant Legion - Not sure what aggression level this is? Is it more on the medium side?

And my first answer is, "I don't know." :) I'm guessing more medium-ish simply because most makers jumping into slants don't tend to go for the more aggressive designs.

Fatip Lo Storto - Does this have blade alignment issues like the other Fatips? I never bought a Fatip due to reading that, but I've always wanted to try a Fatip OC razor, and since this is a slant, might be my chance to try a Fatip.

I've heard about the famous Fatip "interactivity." :) Yes, it's a thing. My FOCS is pretty good, though a gentle nudge when setting it up is a good idea. It's not a problem. At that price point, a nice OC brass razor is a real jewel.

Merkur 37C or 39C - I assume this is more on the aggressive side. Not sure about shorter handle on the 37C as I've never used a shorter handle than 85mm. I am looking to try a shorter handle, though, to see if it gives more precision/control in my tougher areas to shave on the back of my head.

Merkur's approach to razors is a hard one to figure sometimes. They seem to be dropping models as the equipment wears out, and the current owners are handicapped by not having any of the historical records or examples of legacy razors. I prefer the 37 to the 39. That longer handle doesn't thrill me at all.

For something a lot like a Merkur, but less expensive yet still high quality, the RazoRock "German 37" is a good buy. Mine shaves exactly like my Merkur 37. Another advantage is that it's a three-piece, so you can swap handles around to your taste.

Yaqi Slant - I'm going to place an order at AliExpress soon, so I thought I might chuck in the chrome plated Yaqi slant razor head. Not sure if someone else has a better suggestion for a slant from AliExpress (doesn't have to be the Yaqi brand).

I have my own reasons for being a bit leery of AliExpress, though I have bought from them. I've not used any Yaqi razors, which seem to be "derivative" shall we say. I've heard they're decent value for price; I've also heard they can be a pretty aggressive razor.

I also found a Parker 55 SL I think it's called, but I thought that one might be too mild?

I found it to be very mild. The overwhelming majority of modern slants look pretty mild to me. Certainly not up to the standard of the Merkur "Super Slant" or the Fasan Double Slant.

Interesting, so you like the L2++OC baseplate better than the L3 baseplate? Man, I'm confused with all the baseplates Razorock have with the Superslants. So they're all SB with different levels (L3, L3+, L3++) apart from the OC which is the same as the ++ just open comb instead of SB?

RazoRock says the OC plate is the top aggressive plate in each level. I'm not sure if it's even steps between the plates, but the L2++OC seems just slightly less aggressive than the L3SB to me. As it happens, while I'm generally most friendly to an OC razor I have a couple of SB razors that give great shave. The L3SB is one. It's good enough that I'm not all that pressed to change up to the L3++OC. (The other one is the Rex Konsul.)

Generally if you like mild razors like the Parker semi-slant you'll fall somewhere on the L1 level. More aggressive like the Merkur 37 or the FOCS and you'll find your thrill on L2. For a bit more bladefeel you'll want to explore in L3. Alternatively pick up a nice RazoRock Wunderbar. Despite a deservedly fearsome reputation, they are very well made and reward due care and attention to the shave. My Wunderbar is the other reason I don't (yet) have an L3++OC. I'd love an OC Wunderbar-like razor, but it's just not a priority for me at the moment.

Buy too many baseplates in your search and it'll add up, but if you can hit your midrange and then maybe try another one you'll be well off. Otherwise jumping straight into a Rex Konsul adjustable might be your better bet, considering the cost.

O.H.

And my first answer is, "I don't know." :) I'm guessing more medium-ish simply because most makers jumping into slants don't tend to go for the more aggressive designs.
haha, all good. I'll skip this one for now as I am pretty sure it will be a more mild razor I think.

I've heard about the famous Fatip "interactivity." :) Yes, it's a thing. My FOCS is pretty good, though a gentle nudge when setting it up is a good idea. It's not a problem. At that price point, a nice OC brass razor is a real jewel.
I'll still keep the Fatip on my list. I can only find the il Piccolo Storto for sale in AU. Not sure if it will be too small for me, though.
Merkur's approach to razors is a hard one to figure sometimes. They seem to be dropping models as the equipment wears out, and the current owners are handicapped by not having any of the historical records or examples of legacy razors. I prefer the 37 to the 39. That longer handle doesn't thrill me at all.
Can you elaborate on this? What did you mean by "equipment wears out". Was the company sold not long ago? Did the new owners not get the records, or were they somehow lost? Yeah, I think the 39's handle is probably too long even for me.

For something a lot like a Merkur, but less expensive yet still high quality, the RazoRock "German 37" is a good buy. Mine shaves exactly like my Merkur 37. Another advantage is that it's a three-piece, so you can swap handles around to your taste.

Interesting. If that is the case, SOLD. This will be slant number one on my list that I will order. We have a Razorock reseller here in Australia, so I can buy this one as he stocks it.

I have my own reasons for being a bit leery of AliExpress, though I have bought from them. I've not used any Yaqi razors, which seem to be "derivative" shall we say. I've heard they're decent value for price; I've also heard they can be a pretty aggressive razor.

I've only ever ordered from them once (late last year, Black Friday sales I think it was, and that ordered seemed to go OK. I was a bit iffy ordering from there at first, but I received what I ordered in a reasonable amount of time, so I'm willing to try another order.

I found it to be very mild. The overwhelming majority of modern slants look pretty mild to me. Certainly not up to the standard of the Merkur "Super Slant" or the Fasan Double Slant.

I'll skip the Parker 55SL then as I think it might be too mild (unless you think I need to start with something that mild?).

RazoRock says the OC plate is the top aggressive plate in each level. I'm not sure if it's even steps between the plates, but the L2++OC seems just slightly less aggressive than the L3SB to me. As it happens, while I'm generally most friendly to an OC razor I have a couple of SB razors that give great shave. The L3SB is one. It's good enough that I'm not all that pressed to change up to the L3++OC. (The other one is the Rex Konsul.)

This brings up an interesting question/conversation as I just used an OC for the first time last night (Vector OC Baseplate and it didn't go that well, but then again, this is an SE AC OC, so not sure if DE OCs are similar?) I remember when I sent an email asking about the Guerrilla razor early this year, and James said with his razors, the OC and SB are only different in the slots and channels. He said the other relevant geometry is the same, and the aggressiveness is the same, but he said he couldn't speak for other brands as some of them advertise their OC razors as being more aggressive.

I've only ever used one OC, and that was last night as mentioned with the Vector, and that definitely seemed more aggressive than the SB. What is your take on OC razors? Would you say the majority of brands that have an open comb, are they more aggressive?

Generally if you like mild razors like the Parker semi-slant you'll fall somewhere on the L1 level. More aggressive like the Merkur 37 or the FOCS and you'll find your thrill on L2. For a bit more bladefeel you'll want to explore in L3. Alternatively pick up a nice RazoRock Wunderbar. Despite a deservedly fearsome reputation, they are very well made and reward due care and attention to the shave. My Wunderbar is the other reason I don't (yet) have an L3++OC. I'd love an OC Wunderbar-like razor, but it's just not a priority for me at the moment.

Thanks, that is going to be an incredible amount of help. Gives me a really good idea on what Superslant level/s to try once I try some of these other slants.

I did look at the Wunderbar, but I don't think I am ready for it yet. It was an actual customer's review that made me want to try a slant. His review is what made me ask you about slants. This is what the customer said :
This is a standout razor for coarse hair paired with sensitive skin, and I couldn’t be happier with my purchase.

I feel I have fairly coarse hair and also somewhat sensitive skin, so I thought after treading that comment, I really should at least try one slant razor and see how it goes.
Razorock also told me the Wunderbar is discontinued and they've bought back some more stock, but once this is gone, that is it. Makes it a bit hard to think about buying as I'm not sure unless I at least try one of two slant razors out first. Also, if the Wunderbar is as good as the review, why have Razorock stopped making it? Not sure if you agree, but they said their Superslant series is an improvement on it as to one of their main reasons for not producing it anymore.
I wouldn't mind trying it, but it's close to $300AUD, and if I don't like it's level, I can't change any other baseplates out.

Buy too many baseplates in your search and it'll add up, but if you can hit your midrange and then maybe try another one you'll be well off. Otherwise jumping straight into a Rex Konsul adjustable might be your better bet, considering the cost.

Yeah, this is the thing with the Superslant. All the baseplates, wow, so many different levels and baseplates. Is there any razors that have more? The Karve CB has quite a few (another razor on my list).

By the way, you also mentioned you also use a GEM razor earlier in the thread? The whole reason I was going to do that AliExpress order I mentioned is because I want to buy the Shield Predator/GEM Titanium (or maybe the new brass or stainless steel versions - not sure if heavier would be better with a GEM or lighter weight as I've never used one).

Old Hippie

{Merkur issues}
Can you elaborate on this? What did you mean by "equipment wears out". Was the company sold not long ago? Did the new owners not get the records, or were they somehow lost?

A lot of this I've had to piece together from conversations with others who probably know more than I do about it. :) First, the equipment. They're casting Zamak for the baseplates, and foundry equipment can take a beating from molten metal. Other machines for making other parts also wear. The company was owned by a family until 1996 if I remember. When the family sold out they evidently kept (or possibly threw away) all old records and possibly a number of older design razors. The new owners only have records back to when they restarted production. This is why we have the fabled "Super Slant" that is definitely Merkur (or badged in the usual ways for them) and sold in the '50s. However, the new owners have no documentation of it, and there's very few catalog references so we mostly don't even have model numbers for them. There was a refresh of the equipment in about 1970, and another around 2000 sometime.

What is your take on OC razors? Would you say the majority of brands that have an open comb, are they more aggressive?

It's all over the map. Some makers tend to make very aggressive OC razors, just like some make very aggressive slants. Speaking specifically of the RazoRock Superslant I find the OC option to be very smooth and not too aggressive for my preferences. At L1 it's a pretty mild shaver, at L2 it's smooth and controllable. Their mildest OC is the BBS, which is for me almost too mild to shave with.

By the way, you also mentioned you also use a GEM razor earlier in the thread?

I do. I've had both good and not so good experiences with Gem format razors. I recently got a Wolfman WR3 0.35 OC and it's given me some very nice shaves.

O.H.

I shave my head and I'm not bald so there is a lot to do.
Especially since I only do it once a week.
I want something that is efficient, won't clog on the initial pass, plus will be smooth and no irritation on all subsequent passes. I've tried a lot of razors.
I've settled on the FOCS. I don't know what all the drama is about. I put the blade in and I look at it.
Next, I intuitively know what to do, if anything. That's it.

I shave my head and I'm not bald so there is a lot to do.
Especially since I only do it once a week.
I want something that is efficient, won't clog on the initial pass, plus will be smooth and no irritation on all subsequent passes. I've tried a lot of razors.
I've settled on the FOCS. I don't know what all the drama is about. I put the blade in and I look at it.
Next, I intuitively know what to do, if anything. That's it.
OC is good if you only shave once a week and also have that amount of hair growth. I still have most of my hair apart from a small spot on the crown and front sides are slightly receding a bit. I also never let mine grow more than 4 days since I started shaving it (I think I let it go 5 or 6 days once, but that was done with a cartridge razor in the first month or so that I started shaving my head before I switched to a DE & SE razors from then on).

With the Fatip, do you have the Lo Storto of il Piccolo Storto? I can't find the Lo Storto Originale for sale anywhere in AU. I'll have to start looking for overseas places to buy from.

What were your favourite razors prior to the FOCS?

Also, what did you mean by the drama? Is that in reference to me asking about the blade alignment (If the blade lines up OK, or if you have to mess around with it a bit. I was asking if that is an issue with the Fatip slant razors?)

THORN 2 passes, can"t be beaten

It's not too bad, but doesn't work great for me. I have to do a ton of passes with it. If I left it at two, I'd still have stubble in all directions of the back of my head. What direction are the two passes you do?

OC is good if you only shave once a week and also have that amount of hair growth. I still have most of my hair apart from a small spot on the crown and front sides are slightly receding a bit. I also never let mine grow more than 4 days since I started shaving it (I think I let it go 5 or 6 days once, but that was done with a cartridge razor in the first month or so that I started shaving my head before I switched to a DE & SE razors from then on).

With the Fatip, do you have the Lo Storto of il Piccolo Storto? I can't find the Lo Storto Originale for sale anywhere in AU. I'll have to start looking for overseas places to buy from.

What were your favourite razors prior to the FOCS?

Also, what did you mean by the drama? Is that in reference to me asking about the blade alignment (If the blade lines up OK, or if you have to mess around with it a bit. I was asking if that is an issue with the Fatip slant razors?)

It's not too bad, but doesn't work great for me. I have to do a ton of passes with it. If I left it at two, I'd still have stubble in all directions of the back of my head. What direction are the two passes you do?
I have the Lo Storto Originale. The drama is everyone worried about alignment. I put the blade in, look at it. Sometimes I adjust it, sometimes not. No big deal, its intuitive.
Before my FOCS I had a Rockwell 6s (which I gave away). I still have the Razorrock Game Changer with all 4 plates, 68sb, 68oc, 84sb, 84oc. I never use them.
Connaught Shaving in the UK has all the Fatip razors. I bought 4 FOCS, got them in a week shipped to California. Free pack of blades with each one.
I wanted a spare and gave away two as gifts. My buddies love the razors.
IMG_0461.jpeg

I have the Lo Storto Originale. The drama is everyone worried about alignment. I put the blade in, look at it. Sometimes I adjust it, sometimes not. No big deal, its intuitive.

Alright, cool, thanks. Sounds easy enough. I was just a bit worried about the alignment, and ending up with cuts with it if it needs to be aligned every time and I don't get it right.

Before my FOCS I had a Rockwell 6s (which I gave away). I still have the Razorrock Game Changer with all 4 plates, 68sb, 68oc, 84sb, 84oc. I never use them.

I have the Rockwell 6C, which I used the #6 plate with. Not sure which plate you used with yours?
I was going to buy one of the Game Changers, either the 0.84-P, 0.84-P OC, or 1.05-P, but I might hold off on that for now and just try the Fatip first.

I sent a store in AU an email very early this morning before going to bed as they stocked the il Piccolo Storto Originale, but I think the handle would be too short on that one (do you think you'd find it too short?). I asked if they could get the Lo Storto Originale, so I'll see what they say too as it might be quicker. I also found an ebay seller in Italy, but the postage is a bit high to AU making it expensive.

Connaught Shaving in the UK has all the Fatip razors. I bought 4 FOCS, got them in a week shipped to California. Free pack of blades with each one.
I wanted a spare and gave away two as gifts. My buddies love the razors.

Thanks. I'll have a look at Connaught and order one if they have any stock. Appreciate it the tip.
Great buddy to give your friends some too.

Last edited:
Alright, cool, thanks. Sounds easy enough. I was just a bit worried about the alignment, and ending up with cuts with it if it needs to be aligned every time and I don't get it right.

I have the Rockwell 6C, which I used the #6 plate with. Not sure which plate you used with yours?
I was going to buy one of the Game Changers, either the 0.84-P, 0.84-P OC, or 1.05-P, but I might hold off on that for now and just try the Fatip first.

I sent a store in AU an email very early this morning before going to bed as they stocked the il Piccolo Storto Originale, but I think the handle would be too short on that one (do you think you'd find it too short?). I asked if they could get the Lo Storto Originale, so I'll see what they say too as it might be quicker. I also found an ebay seller in Italy, but the postage is a bit high to AU making it expensive.

Thanks. I'll have a look at Connaught and order one if they have any stock. Appreciate it the tip.
Great buddy to give your friends some too.
Never cut myself with the FOCS. Short handle is great for more control like choking up on a bat. Postage was minimal from Connaught.

Never cut myself with the FOCS. Short handle is great for more control like choking up on a bat. Postage was minimal from Connaught.
Thanks for suggesting the razor and the store to buy from. Since Connaught stocks the Lo Storto, I'm going to get that one as I think they handle on that would be short enough. Going to be interesting to see if I like a shorter handler better as I was wondering if it would give me better control/precision. Sounds like it might Connaught seems like a pretty nice store - someone on an AU shaving site (paste-and-cut.com.au) recommended them to me ages ago for a place to buy Artist Club blades, but I haven't looked at the site in a while. I forgot about them until you mentioned them. I haven't ordered from them yet, either. I see they also stock The Goodfellas' Smile Legione Slant that I wanted to try, so I may as well order that too. Did you order anything else from there that you can recommend I try/buy? Shaving soap or anything like that?

Also, which postage method did you choose if you don't mind me asking? One week sounds super quick from the UK to California. I guessing maybe two or three weeks to get to me in Australia.

Thanks for suggesting the razor and the store to buy from. Since Connaught stocks the Lo Storto, I'm going to get that one as I think they handle on that would be short enough. Going to be interesting to see if I like a shorter handler better as I was wondering if it would give me better control/precision. Sounds like it might Connaught seems like a pretty nice store - someone on an AU shaving site (paste-and-cut.com.au) recommended them to me ages ago for a place to buy Artist Club blades, but I haven't looked at the site in a while. I forgot about them until you mentioned them. I haven't ordered from them yet, either. I see they also stock The Goodfellas' Smile Legione Slant that I wanted to try, so I may as well order that too. Did you order anything else from there that you can recommend I try/buy? Shaving soap or anything like that?

Also, which postage method did you choose if you don't mind me asking? One week sounds super quick from the UK to California. I guessing maybe two or three weeks to get to me in Australia.
Don’t remember which shipping method I picked, most likely the cheapest. I think it was 5 bucks. Just got the razors from them. You can email them any questions, they respond quickly.

I use a de for first pass and cartridge for second pass. The blade flex in the cartridge forms to your round head. I have found this a quicker method for getting good head shaves. Cartridge lasts a month or two.
Interesting combination. What cartridge razor are you using, and are you saying a single cartridge is getting you 4-6 weeks of shaves? What is the shave frequency? Right now, I'm doing about 3 times a week. I want to do 4 or maybe even 5, but the time it takes each head shave is about 45-60 minutes (depending on the razor), I can't really do more until I get that time and number of passes down required to get DFS/BBS. If I only do three passes WTG, XTG, ATG, I'm left with stubble on the back on my head so I have to do more ATG passes just to get to DFS.

Old Hippie

the time it takes each head shave is about 45-60 minutes (depending on the razor), I can't really do more until I get that time and number of passes down required to get DFS/BBS. If I only do three passes WTG, XTG, ATG, I'm left with stubble on the back on my head so I have to do more ATG passes just to get to DFS.

I typically shave my head three times a week. At this point, the whole job from stirring up the lather to polishing the mirror and tossing my washcloth in the hamper takes me, on average, 35 minutes. Often I get done in 30 minutes. The only times I run long are when I'm trying to shave my head with a shavette. That can take an hour and a half which really just emphasizes that I don't use a shavette often enough to have developed my technique.

I only do WTG and then ATG. Well, I do a tiny bit of XTG in a couple of places on the sides where I can't get the blade in properly otherwise. I get the shave done, rinse off, and then check for "holidays." Often I'll find a couple, and as you've noted there are some places where the hair seems hard to get off. I lather up again and go over those spots usually with some mild stretching. That's generally sufficient.

I'm not really the one to suggest this, but I notice that the shaves are faster with sharper blades. Hmmm.

O.H.

I typically shave my head three times a week. At this point, the whole job from stirring up the lather to polishing the mirror and tossing my washcloth in the hamper takes me, on average, 35 minutes. Often I get done in 30 minutes. The only times I run long are when I'm trying to shave my head with a shavette. That can take an hour and a half which really just emphasizes that I don't use a shavette often enough to have developed my technique.

That's what I need to aim for. I'd be happy with your routine/times. All my times are without prepping the lather or cleaning up.
Quickest is with the Vector SB baseplate and a fresh/new Feather Professional Super blade, which takes me about 30-35 minutes. Next best would be my Rockwell 6C #6 baseplate at about 35-45 minutes (depending on the blade), but even though I get a good result with the Rockwell, I don't like using it for head shaving due to how cumbersome it is, and after close to a quarter of an hour, the weight isn't the best either (not that it's really heavy or anything). Does weight make much difference to you? Maybe I need to have a look at some Ti and Al razors.

I only do WTG and then ATG. Well, I do a tiny bit of XTG in a couple of places on the sides where I can't get the blade in properly otherwise. I get the shave done, rinse off, and then check for "holidays." Often I'll find a couple, and as you've noted there are some places where the hair seems hard to get off. I lather up again and go over those spots usually with some mild stretching. That's generally sufficient.

I think this is what I am going to look at getting it down to, just WTG or XTG to start, and ATG with cleanups. I'm currently trying to cut out a bit of the XTG passes. I usually start the sides with an XTG instead of WTG. Yeah, there's always spots for me on the back of the head, top back sides of the head I can't get totally clean, but another issue is the back left side of head, I find it hard to clean up due to being right handed. I just do the best I can with my right.

I was trying to learn to use the left hand, but with my more heavier razors, I don't feel I have much control. I can do the front and sides with the left somewhat OK, but the back is too awkward. Maybe a lighter or shorter handled razor might give me more control/precision with my left.

One question, after you do the first ATG pass on the back, how does it feel? For me, it's SAS at best. Can still feel stubble everywhere, so another couple full passes are needed ATG, and that is where the irritation, nicks/cuts, sloppiness starts due to to pressing at this point to finish it quicker.

I'm not really the one to suggest this, but I notice that the shaves are faster with sharper blades. Hmmm.
I've only tried a Feather in the Leaf Thorn I had and it didn't give me a very good shave. Maybe I need to try more of the sharper razors in my other DE razors. I have read that sharper blades in milder razors can work great if they don't work well in a more aggressive razor, but I haven't really tried that out.

Do you have any suggestions for DE blades to try? Which are the ones considered most sharpest? I assume Feather is up the top, but not sure what else is considered in that range.

Interesting combination. What cartridge razor are you using, and are you saying a single cartridge is getting you 4-6 weeks of shaves? What is the shave frequency? Right now, I'm doing about 3 times a week. I want to do 4 or maybe even 5, but the time it takes each head shave is about 45-60 minutes (depending on the razor), I can't really do more until I get that time and number of passes down required to get DFS/BBS. If I only do three passes WTG, XTG, ATG, I'm left with stubble on the back on my head so I have to do more ATG passes just to get to DFS.
I've detailed my routine in other threads so you can definitely search for it. It hasn't changed.

To answer your questions: I use a Gillette sensor xl but I started with a Mach 3 and I much prefer it. I just ran out and have a stash of sensor xl blades left that are depleting at an alarmingly slow rate. Oh well. I can't wait to get back to Mach 3 though.

Yes, a single cartridge gets me 4 to 6 weeks. I only use it on the second pass which is barely anything but it makes this process faster.

I would say my average head shave is 3 per week. I used to do 4 or 5 but I'm getting more OK with a little stubble.

Honestly, the only reason I started head shaving was how fast and convenient it was. I started with clippers then finally took the plunge. I shave in the shower which makes the process fast and clean up fast. I recently did a head shave over the sink and it was awful. My current system is the fastest I've found.

Everything is geared towards speed. Shower for fast cleanup and not caring about water everywhere. I also think it speeds up process. Super easy soap to lather. Mild razor so I can shave with reckless abandonment. 5 min - bam - done. If I want to leisure my way through it. Max 10 min. However I'm usually looking forward to my face shave so I want it done.

Old Hippie

I was trying to learn to use the left hand, but with my more heavier razors, I don't feel I have much control.

While I don't consider myself truly ambidextrous, I can use either hand. I can write legibly with my "off" hand, and when I'm doing fine work on something I use whichever hand seems easiest at the moment. I'm right-dominant, though. When shaving I can get equally good results using right hand on the right side and left hand on the left side.

One question, after you do the first ATG pass on the back, how does it feel?

Depends on the razor. With the Konsul I do two ATG passes, one at "2" and one at "5." I don't try to get too deep with the first one, because I'm going to open up the gap and do it again. After I "take off the tops" the second pass gets the "stumps." There's less to clean up after that, which makes sense. When I use a non-adjustable razor I generally do only one ATG pass in back, and then as you note there's a few things to clean up. I find it's not much, and taking off the last of it with another pass is generally sufficient. I guess the difference is the timing of the pass depending on which razor I'm using.

I have read that sharper blades in milder razors can work great if they don't work well in a more aggressive razor, but I haven't really tried that out. Do you have any suggestions for DE blades to try?

I've heard that. I seem to gravitate toward mid-sharp blades in mid-aggressive razors. My all time favourite is the Astra SP, which I've heard is pretty much the same in the new production from India. Hitting up @dmshaver for some blades to try is a great idea.

O.H.

Top Bottom