What's new

New razor. Not great.

Not sure I’m completely happy with this one. Certainly not shipping it back to Germany. I’ll keep it but can’t say I am really satisfied with the overall product. Scales were supposed to be snake wood and the blade was supposed to be a French point. Blade I can live with but I know the blemished carbon fiber scales are going to grate on me every time I look at them. Disappointed for sure. Hopefully the maker can do something to rectify the issue. If not….🤷‍♂️

IMG_6513.jpeg
IMG_6514.jpeg

IMG_6512.jpeg

I’ve reached out to the maker already. It’s really up to him as to what he chooses to do, correct the issue or let it go as it stands. His call. I’ve brought it to his attention. I‘m not gonna get all wrapped around the axle about it. Surprised such a well regarded razor maker would let something like that leave his shop😕

IMG_2196.jpeg

Without a doubt, I am a huge fan of Aust razors. This is my current collection (minus 1 I sold). Herr Aust’s excellent Craftsmanship is quite evident in each of his razors I own. Hence my surprise when I received my most recent acquisition.

Contact them and give Ralf Aust the oppertunity to put things right first, I have seen a lot worse I have been sent brand new £800 TI in Damascus so bad I would throw them in the bin, it makes me wonder what the QC in these companies are like. TI razors are an enigma for me I call them the nearly razors because they can nearly make a good razor, and the reason I cannot own one is the bevels tend to be all over the place, I have never liked the geometry on those razors.

Last edited:
Well if you paid by Credit Card, or PayPal dispute the transaction stating wrong product, or misresepresentation of goods offered.

"...makes me wonder what the QC in these companies are like."
True...the QC in just about any large-ish company can be an iffy situation and it does not seem to be improving.
However hope remains....kind of.
Ulrik Beyer (Koraat) continues to crank out some of the finest product available today. I have NEVER found any kind of flaw whatsoever on any of his straight razors.

The same can be said of Brian Brown and Tim Zowada. Sadly both have dropped off the grid it seems. I'm fortunate to have some of their handiwork; razors I highly doubt I'll ever part with.
IMG_3121_Original.jpeg

Tim Zowada 6/8 Carbon Series
IMG_2198.jpeg

Brian Brown collection. Some of the nicest grinding work I've ever seen.
IMG_3272.jpeg

Ulrik Beyer (Koraat)..ditto and still readily available today!

Not sure I’m completely happy with this one. Certainly not shipping it back to Germany. I’ll keep it but can’t say I am really satisfied with the overall product. Scales were supposed to be snake wood and the blade was supposed to be a French point. Blade I can live with but I know the blemished carbon fiber scales are going to grate on me every time I look at them. Disappointed for sure. Hopefully the maker can do something to rectify the issue. If not….🤷‍♂️

View attachment 1839700View attachment 1839699
View attachment 1839702
Mr Ralf will probably sort it out for you.
I have a TI razor with snake wood scales. Nice choice 👌
They look better in person.
20240504_193702.jpg

True...the QC in just about any large-ish company can be an iffy situation and it does not seem to be improving.
However hope remains....kind of.
Ulrik Beyer (Koraat) continues to crank out some of the finest product available today. I have NEVER found any kind of flaw whatsoever on any of his straight razors.

The same can be said of Brian Brown and Tim Zowada. Sadly both have dropped off the grid it seems. I'm fortunate to have some of their handiwork; razors I highly doubt I'll ever part with.View attachment 1840666
Tim Zowada 6/8 Carbon SeriesView attachment 1840667
Brian Brown collection. Some of the nicest grinding work I've ever seen.View attachment 1840668
Ulrik Beyer (Koraat)..ditto and still readily available today!
Tim is still active and making razors. He posts mainly on Instagram and you can connect with him there.

Top Bottom