What's new

Skin feel of different razor materials, particularly brass

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Usually we discuss mostly the weight of different materials, or if they develop a patina or not.

I recently told a friend that the DSCosmetic V92 and V95 brass razor heads are just the same as the S9 razor head in steel, maybe with slightly different gap of presumably .92 and .95 vs .9 for the S9.

The S9 is one of the fancier clones of the Game Changer .84P, with a slightly changed baseplate that allows grabbing the plate from below, plus perhaps reducing weight a bit.

The reasoning was like this:

1. Shiny golden brass is looking very nice
and...
2. ... brass feels premium on the skin and is "warmer" than steel.

The latter got me thinking. I have a few brass razors and a few bronze razors.

I mainly compared my Lambda Ares in bronze and my Athena in steel. Weight-wise they are near identical, so no real difference there.

But yeah, I also noticed bronze (a fancy kind of brass.... don't beat me 😜) is faster getting warmer, adjusting to the temperature of face and lather, than steel.

Now I was wondering about titanium. As something about titanium heads on my skin feels not as good as bronze/brass or steel.

These are just my initial thoughts, I need to get a few more shaves in, but it got me thinking for sure.

It's not just the weight that is different! 🤔

I know that stainless retains heat the longest according thermal inertia while aluminum the least. I like shaving with a razor that is warm. I run mine under the faucet. I have experimented before using a heat gun but it got too hot. There certainly are differences in face feel with different metals. I think the finish is also impacts the smoothness of the shave. I prefer polished for that very reason. I love the way bronze shines and looks like gold.

Hmmm, I wouldnt mind experimenting with you, but as of last week I dont have any uncoated brass razors in my arsenal.

I'm not sure I have noticed much difference between stainless steel and brass. Copper would probably be the easiest distinguishable material in heat absorbtion...but I dont have copper razors either. 😅

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Hmmm, I wouldnt mind experimenting with you, but as of last week I dont have any uncoated brass razors in my arsenal.
Another good point, though I wonder if these super thin coatings make a difference when it comes to thermal properties of the material.

So, here's my experience with different metals and it doesn't just apply to Razors. Spent years researching and learning from experience of different metals on the skin.

1. I've worn earrings as in loops since I was 15, For the first three years it was 22k Gold but due to the copper content in it, my ear lobes were often left with irritation and it would be really uncomfortable sometimes, so switched to Surgical Stainless Steel and never looked back. Total comfort, no irritation.

2. Wore a Cross pendant which was beautiful but it used to leave my chest inflamed and itchy, Discovered later that it was Brass so switched to Stainless Steel. Having said that, Brass Razors like The Pearl offerings or Parker which are Chrome plated have always been an enjoyable experience for me on the skin.

3. Started with Zamak Razors and never had an issue with the Muhle, Yaqi and DScosmetic offerings. Chrome has always felt comfy on the skin for me and I guess its the plating that does the trick. I do love the blueish tinge of Chrome.

4. Have only used a Yintal Pure Brass Razor before and it was okay. I couldn't really feel the warmth on my skin. It felt kind of close to the Chrome plated ones but less cooler. It isn't one of my Favorite Razor materials and I guess if a Patina developed on it. it might change the feel of the Razor on the skin.

5. My friend owns a PAA Ascension Twist Copper Razor and it is his number one. Copper is great for the skin, it helps circulation and also inhibits bacteria formation. Ancient medicine always praises copper for its healing properties, including storing water in copper drums to purify it. Having said that, it has never agreed with my skin and though I loved the shave from my friends PAA Ascension Twist when loaned to me, I did not enjoy the feel of the metal on my skin. It cooled my skin down in a weird kind of way.

6. Aluminum - as a Child saw a lot of folks use aluminum utensils and baking trays etc till the day they realized that it was leeching into their food and had long term detrimental effects on the body, including causing nerve damage. I have used a Henson and a few other Razors made of aluminum, they were light and left my skin feeling warm and a bit irritated, that's just my skin I guess. Not a fan.

7. Titanium - Both my Watches have Titanium straps and Cases. Extremely light on the Wrist, no effect on the skin and kind of neutral, neither warm or cold. Sometimes I wonder if I'm even wearing a metal. I have used three Titanium Razors to date and while I don't dislike it, I am neither a big fan. I like the Razor doing the job due to it's weight and love the heft, titanium offers neither and even though I respect it and think its the most neutral of all on the skin, I find it a bit boring.

8. Stainless Steel - Cool to touch, Cool to look at and love the weight, my fav Metal option. Stainless Steel feels like steel on the skin, cold and solid. I find it exciting and enjoyable to use SS Razors, they never leave my skin irritated and are super comfy on the skin. Love the weight and the heft as the Razor does all the work and just glides on the skin's surface.

Just my view lads, but keep in mind the fact that I only shave with room temperature water, picked that tip up from Fine Accoutrements and it was gold. I have sensitive skin and shaving with warm water used to leave my skin feeling tender and raw. No going back for me, room temp water is my comfort zone besides i live in a rather hot and humid country. The Different metals would react differently depending on the water temperature and each one's skin composition. So I would rate SS, Ti, Plated Brass and Zamak in that order for my skin comfort.

And yes, Chrome, Rhodium or Nickel plating would definitely make a huge difference to the skin specially Rhodium which is close to SS in terms of feel on the skin and being a non irritant.

I was thinking about aluminum and copper heatsinks for CPUs and also various materials for flashlights. They mostly use aluminum for a reason.

And yeah, I also often let water run over a stainless steel razor head.
Aluminum is light, fairly strong and conductive besides it is cost effective. Copper is probably one of the least oxidative metals which prevents it from corroding fast and due to its lower resistance it has higher conductivity when compared to other metals. This makes both metals a chosen choice for Electrical or electronic parts.

Lovely share on the wiki link Iridian.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I just want to add here that opinions and personal anecdotal evidence is just that.

Aluminum
The CDC says:
You cannot avoid exposure to aluminum because it is so common and widespread in the environment.

Exposure to the levels of aluminum that are naturally present in food and water and the forms of aluminum that are present in dirt and aluminum pots and pans are not considered to be harmful.

Eating large amounts of processed food containing aluminum additives or frequently cooking acidic foods in aluminum pots may expose a person to higher levels of aluminum than a person who generally consumes unprocessed foods and uses pots made of other materials (e.g., stainless steel or glass). However, aluminum levels found in processed foods and foods cooked in aluminum pots are generally considered to be safe.

Aluminum is abundant in the world around us. We breathe it, we touch it, and in many cases we purposefully consume it in some products.
There is no current proof that aluminum causes Alzheimer's. There have been studies that have shown an elevated aluminum content in the brain of Alzheimer patients, but there is some evidence that an underlying condition of the disease is causing retention of aluminum rather than aluminum causing Alzheimer's.

Best advice: don't breathe aluminum dust and don't eat aluminum, otherwise - don't worry about it.
If you're concerned personally, don't use any aluminum products, but certainly that shouldn't affect all of us.

Copper has no magical qualities. While copper is an absolute necessity in our diet, (it plays a role in making red blood cells and maintaining nerve cells and the immune system) using copper bracelets, copper fabric or copper utensils have no impact on body health.

Let's be sure we couch our opinions as opinion and not run the risk of having someone think there is scientific evidence in our own personal beliefs.

Advice that may be considered medical in nature is not generally welcome here!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Thankfully my allergies seem to be limited to birch pollen, and let me repeat again, it was no the Dorco Prime or the Bohemia I initially suspected to have caused me a burning skin sensation of the face.

I often wonder if it is the light weight or something else why aluminum doesn't do it for me, I have too few titanium razors to come to a conclusion. My Boti Vortex in Ti is a most beautiful failure of a razor, it shaves not very well, but is looking fantastic. My Chiseled Face Titanium Legacy razor has a fantastic "herringbone" handle but the head again isn't exactly my favorite.

My idea is basically that the temperature and thermal conductivity of the razor head material play a much more important role than I thought. I was focused on weight and finish (I absolutely prefer polished -> machined >>>> bead blasted matte/satin) mostly.

I just want to add here that opinions and personal anecdotal evidence is just that.

Aluminum
The CDC says:
You cannot avoid exposure to aluminum because it is so common and widespread in the environment.

Exposure to the levels of aluminum that are naturally present in food and water and the forms of aluminum that are present in dirt and aluminum pots and pans are not considered to be harmful.

Eating large amounts of processed food containing aluminum additives or frequently cooking acidic foods in aluminum pots may expose a person to higher levels of aluminum than a person who generally consumes unprocessed foods and uses pots made of other materials (e.g., stainless steel or glass). However, aluminum levels found in processed foods and foods cooked in aluminum pots are generally considered to be safe.

Aluminum is abundant in the world around us. We breathe it, we touch it, and in many cases we purposefully consume it in some products.
There is no current proof that aluminum causes Alzheimer's. There have been studies that have shown an elevated aluminum content in the brain of Alzheimer patients, but there is some evidence that an underlying condition of the disease is causing retention of aluminum rather than aluminum causing Alzheimer's.

Best advice: don't breathe aluminum dust and don't eat aluminum, otherwise - don't worry about it.
If you're concerned personally, don't use any aluminum products, but certainly that shouldn't affect all of us.

Copper has no magical qualities. While copper is an absolute necessity in our diet, (it plays a role in making red blood cells and maintaining nerve cells and the immune system) using copper bracelets, copper fabric or copper utensils have no impact on body health.

Let's be sure we couch our opinions as opinion and not run the risk of having someone think there is scientific evidence in our own personal beliefs.

Advice that may be considered medical in nature is not generally welcome here!
My Apologies mate. Wasn't referring to anything medical and it was just my own experience of having used metals and how they react with my skin. I do have an extremely sensitive skin but my other mates can use any metal without it even changing color, that's probably due to the chemical composition of my perspiration. My intent wasn't to demean or run down any metals as such. We still use all of them in our daily lives in some form or the other.

But Point taken and I do apologize if it came across wrong.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
My Apologies mate. Wasn't referring to anything medical and it was just my own experience of having used metals and how they react with my skin. I do have an extremely sensitive skin but my other mates can use any metal without it even changing color, that's probably due to the chemical composition of my perspiration. My intent wasn't to demean or run down any metals as such. We still use all of them in our daily lives in some form or the other.

But Point taken and I do apologize if it came across wrong.
No worries, nothing in particular in your post.
I've been around long enough to know that once mentioned, it was only a matter of a short time before there were folks in here posting their "expert medical advice" and all of the fear mongering which goes along with that!

No worries, nothing in particular in your post.
I've been around long enough to know that once mentioned, it was only a matter of a short time before there were folks in here posting their "expert medical advice" and all of the fear mongering which goes along with that!
I understand. But if anyone finds it offensive or is uncomfortable with it, please feel free to remove my comment. I'm totally cool with it.

My *guess* is that if one has irritation after using an aluminum razor it is most likely because it is easy to add too much pressure to a light razor and it is the pressure that causes the irritation, not the metal.

… brass feels premium on the skin and is "warmer" than steel.

The latter got me thinking… brass…is faster getting warmer, adjusting to the temperature of face and lather, than steel.

It's not just the weight that is different! 🤔

You could get a cheap inferred thermometer (about $20 when they go on sale) and calibrate the water temperature to each razor for optimal feel and performance.

1714225570777.jpeg

:)

The biggest difference I notice is heat retention. Any brass or bronze razor gets noticeably warmer than titanium, sometimes to the point of almost being too hot.

The other thing I notice is the smell of brass. Not a fan of it, but then I guess that doesn’t have anything to do with feel.

Top Bottom