What's new

LRod's Acquisition and everything else Thread!

I am not a machinist, but I'd assume the more intricate a design and the more material needs to be removed, the more expensive the process is going to be.

Henson does interesting things with the way the lather channel is shaped, as well as the gentle curving of the top cap.
When Yates talked about the first Winning razor, they said the crummy lather channels were a cost saving measure.
Now that there is a single lather slot and more material removed from the head (and a few more curves) the razor costs double what it used to.
I have both the v1 and v2, and the handle on v1 was basically a sandblasted stick with a thread, and while v2 is more elaborate than that, it isn't actually particularly elaborate, and might just be turned on a lathe (though I'm not sure that it is).

If you look at the Henson handle, there's some a bit more interesting stuff going on, and all these details add up.

Of course, maybe Yates are better at programming their CNC machines, or there are some other factors involved.

I'm just saying that even though it seems simple, there's likely more than meets the eye and there are contributing unknowns.
I get all that but they just introduced the same AL13 handle in stainless. And it seems as you stated, that the handle would be the most complicated & expensive part of the razor because of it's intricacies. Might as well go forward and make the whole stainless razor! I mean they do offer the titanium which is very expensive and people still pay for it. I've read and read about countless people wanting a stainless one and they don't seem to budge!
I'm not saying to make a stainless Henson for $82 (like the Winning) but I'm sure they could build one and sell it for a price that people are willing to pay. Again, they've already done it with the titanium one.
It doesn't make sense!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
RazoRock looks like they’re releasing a Hensonesque razor if you check on the Twitter.

IMG_1474.jpeg

The Shields have arrived!
DE & GEM razors in matte 316L stainless steel. At this point, I can confirm that Shield's quality is as good as any other comparable quality razors. They've really put in the effort to create a product that has excellent fit & finish.
The QC is spot on!
My first early Shield (the GEM titanium) had decent quality but nothing as good as what they're making now. It was very industrial with a finish that was kind of rough. These new ones are much more refined and have a beautiful finish. My aluminum Shield GEM razor that I received a few weeks ago also has the same excellent fit & finish.
And the best part is that they're dirt cheap!
They both came in individual plastic cases and they included some anti age serum in each one (last picture) which I'll probably never use. Strangely the razors are Chinese but the serums are from Italy! They also included a Personna coated blade with the GEM razor.
I'll be trying out the DE tonight!

full

full

full

full

Last edited:
First shave with the Shield stainless DE:
0.95 blade gap & +0.05 blade exposure.
Loaded it with a Personna Lab Blue and had my usual 2 pass WTG/XTG.
A heavy razor with centered balance between the head and the end of the handle.
Feel is between mild & medium (no aggressiveness) and despite the positive blade exposure,
it has very little blade feel. Smooth, semi mild & efficient!
All in all, an excellent drama free shave with a very smooth finish.
A very nice quality razor especially for it's low cost. A+

The DE would be comparable to a Game Changer? At least if I look at the design?

Thanks,

Guido
I don't know Guido, I've never had the Game changer. I did had a couple Lupo's when I started wet shaving though. I guess it kind of does look like the GC but not exactly. Since last night I've been looking at pictures of different razors to determine if it was copied but can't seem to find a match. The Shield seems to be it's own design from what I can tell. I guess most of the time a manufacturer will use another razor as a basis for design but will incorporate some subtle changes to make it different enough. Maybe someone else can chime in by identifying an exact match!

First shave with the Shield stainless DE:
0.95 blade gap & +0.05 blade exposure.
Loaded it with a Personna Lab Blue and had my usual 2 pass WTG/XTG.
A heavy razor with centered balance between the head and the end of the handle.
Feel is between mild & medium (no aggressiveness) and despite the positive blade exposure,
it has very little blade feel. Smooth, semi mild & efficient!
All in all, an excellent drama free shave with a very smooth finish.
A very nice quality razor especially for it's low cost. A+
One thing I failed to mention is how thin the head is. It's very "Gillette Tech like" which makes it very maneuverable.

I get all that but they just introduced the same AL13 handle in stainless. And it seems as you stated, that the handle would be the most complicated & expensive part of the razor because of it's intricacies. Might as well go forward and make the whole stainless razor! I mean they do offer the titanium which is very expensive and people still pay for it. I've read and read about countless people wanting a stainless one and they don't seem to budge!
I'm not saying to make a stainless Henson for $82 (like the Winning) but I'm sure they could build one and sell it for a price that people are willing to pay. Again, they've already done it with the titanium one.
It doesn't make sense!
Perbaps I misspoke - the handle has soem intricacies, which would make it more expensive than some other handles, but it doesn't require quite the precision the head does. Any hollow space, like Henson's or Timeless lather channels are bound to be more tricky go get right at tight tolerances than most flourishes on handles or more simple head designs.

I’m waiting for Shield to restock the brass AC razor.
I see a picture of it in their Ali Express brass razor page but don't see it as being offered. Usually they show what they don't have as out of stock (with a grayed out thumbnail picture) but for the AC I see nothing. Hope you're able to get one!
And that's one thing I've noticed, when they stock something, you need to jump on it. Either they make a little bit at a time or their selling like hotcakes!

Top Bottom