What's new

Feedback/recommendations please....

Good morning fellow wet shavers,

I started using a DE a good number of years ago (maybe 10+). Anyway, I started cheap using one From Amazon (possibly a Baili), and my very first shave I was impressed with the results (I took it extremely slow). I was using Wilkinson Sword soap with their brush - not good imo, but I didn’t know better at the time. I then moved onto a Muhle R89 which I keep getting mixed results with different blades. After a few years of use, I also purchased a Fatip piccolo oc and hated it. My R89 head or handle thread gave way. I then purchased (last couple of years) a Parker semi slant - which again was good to begin with. I now rotate between these 3. I have tried several blades and soaps/creams but the only one I seem to be ok with is the body shop one (which might disappear soon).

Right, so, my prep involves warming my face with water, a facial wash (sometimes a scrub) then lather up and shave. Sometimes I get nicks, especially the neck area. I like to be bbs, so usually a 2 pass, sometimes a 3, but I am sometimes left with missed bits or very minute stubble. I want to be able to shave daily/every other day, but sometimes can be 3-4 days.

My next things I’m thinking of is a Yaqi adjustable and possibly a Yaqi Excalibur (I’ve never tried SE). I don’t want to buy expensive yet, as if it doesn’t work then I’ve forked out for nothing. I’ve looked at Fatip Grande, Fatip slant, and several others. I am also thinking Proraso menthol tube, I didn’t get on with the sandalwood pot.

One thing I forgot to mention is I bought a cheap adjustable from Shein, which did give decent results but the razor didn’t last long. Other things to note, I don’t always have time for a shower and a shave. I also don’t have a lot of time to take it slow either.

Hope someone can help?

With a DE razor, IME skin irritation is usually a result of insufficient skin preparation, too much pressure on the razor, suboptimal razor angle, or some combination of these. Sometimes it's also that the blade just isn't right for you. There are a number of variables, so narrowing it down is often a process of elimination.

In my opinion the trial and error is worth it not only to stop buying cartridges, but also the shave quality is better. (For me, my ingrown hair problems disappeared virtually overnight. This was an unexpected and welcome benefit.)

I suggest a good condition Gillette Slim or FatBoy adjustable, also one of the Super Adjustables from the 70's. Very well made, should last another 50 years or more, and can be set to get nice shaves with any blade.

I no longer chase a BBS shave, but I prefer very close. I've found I must shave against the grain everywhere, I no longer bother with trying with the grain passes, they don't do much (except for trying to shave with a straight razor....).

Experiment with razor angle and shaving angle, you should be able to get a very good shave with what you have.

Thanks from the replies/advice so far. I can’t bring myself to own a 2nd hand razor, and my wife is the same. Maybe it is down to improving technique and less about the razor I own and the blades I use. I might have to revisit some blades and try some different creams too.

The R89 is a good design, but IME it has a fairly narrow effective shaving angle. It can shave fairly efficiently if I maintain the angle consistently and correctly. For this reason, I tend to prefer DE razors that have a wider range of efficient angles. One razor that really works well for me that is pretty similar to the R89/DE89 is the brass Pearl Blaze razor. For me, the Blaze is a little easier to use (it seems to have a bit wider effective shaving angle) and gives a very nice result.

With that said, however, there's nothing wrong with sticking with what you have and refining your technique. As others have said, good technique (mainly correct angle and a very light touch) is the key to getting good results with a DE razor.

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
If you have an itch to buy a new razor, consider a RazoRock Lupo or Game Changer. They have multiple plates so you can find the one that works best for you or when you change your shave routine, e.g., one milder plate for daily and another plate when you shave every few days or so.

Use what you have and perfect your technique. Don’t buy anything. If you still have the Baili use that. Use the same blade, brush and soap for every shave for six months. When you can get a clean, comfortable shave everytime keep going with that combination for the rest of your life.

Last edited:
Use what you have and perfect your technique. Don’t buy anything. If you still have the Baili use that. Use the same blade, brush and soap for every shave for six months. When you can get a clean, comfortable shave everytime keep going with that combination for the rest of your life.
Thanks. No, I no longer have the Baili. I only have the 3 mentioned. Actually, I forgot 1, the Merkur 15c I think, open comb anyway, but hated it. It’s now a frankenrazor for the r89, and i have the semi-slant and Fatip.

I have experience with the Fatip. It’s not my favorite but it can be an effective razor. I’m not a fan of slants or frankenrazors so I’d go with the Fatip.

The point of my post is that you should commit yourself to one razor, blade, soap, brush combination and use it consistently to develop solid technique.

Good morning fellow wet shavers,

I started using a DE a good number of years ago (maybe 10+). Anyway, I started cheap using one From Amazon (possibly a Baili), and my very first shave I was impressed with the results (I took it extremely slow). I was using Wilkinson Sword soap with their brush - not good imo, but I didn’t know better at the time. I then moved onto a Muhle R89 which I keep getting mixed results with different blades. After a few years of use, I also purchased a Fatip piccolo oc and hated it. My R89 head or handle thread gave way. I then purchased (last couple of years) a Parker semi slant - which again was good to begin with. I now rotate between these 3. I have tried several blades and soaps/creams but the only one I seem to be ok with is the body shop one (which might disappear soon).

Right, so, my prep involves warming my face with water, a facial wash (sometimes a scrub) then lather up and shave. Sometimes I get nicks, especially the neck area. I like to be bbs, so usually a 2 pass, sometimes a 3, but I am sometimes left with missed bits or very minute stubble. I want to be able to shave daily/every other day, but sometimes can be 3-4 days.

My next things I’m thinking of is a Yaqi adjustable and possibly a Yaqi Excalibur (I’ve never tried SE). I don’t want to buy expensive yet, as if it doesn’t work then I’ve forked out for nothing. I’ve looked at Fatip Grande, Fatip slant, and several others. I am also thinking Proraso menthol tube, I didn’t get on with the sandalwood pot.

One thing I forgot to mention is I bought a cheap adjustable from Shein, which did give decent results but the razor didn’t last long. Other things to note, I don’t always have time for a shower and a shave. I also don’t have a lot of time to take it slow either.

Hope someone can help?
Welcome to B&B! Like you my pre-shave is a good face wash. Then I build and apply lather for a 2+ pass shave. Since you get nicks I'd recommend you stick with a mild to moderate razor. You don't need to spend a lot of money for a good one. "Starter Razor" is a term invented to convince folks to trade up to more expensive hardware. At its peak in the early 1970's great DE razors from Gillette, like my Super Adjustable from my college days, were sold for under $5. The three I use, that fit your criteria of not being expensive, are as follows:

• King C. Gillette, A very mild 3 piece razor, may require an extra pass and techniques such as "riding the cap" for a BBS shave but the benefit is it's almost impossible to nick yourself with this razor. Typically $20 - $30 these days.
  • Weishi 9306 Long Handle, Moderately aggressive twist to open.razor for under $15.
  • Razorock Adjust razor (Rebranded Baili). Adjustable twist to open razor that is one of only two current production models that uses the same style of adjustment mechanism used by Gillette in its adjustable razors from the 1950' - 1970's. I just purchased one a few month ago. Adjusts from mild to close to moderate range in between my Weishi and King C. Gillette. Under $15. The only other adjustable twist to open razor like this is the Rockwell T2 for around $100+.
Note that one has to learn to dial in razors with different levels of aggressiveness. If I use the King C. Gillette like my Weishi not a lot gets shaved off. With the reverse there will be a loss of blood.

Regarding Brushes I've had great results from my synthetics. I use two Razorock plissoft synthetics with 26 mm knots that run under $15 each.

I've had great results from the following shaving soaps that are still in production and readily available:
  • Arko, best value tallow based out there. 12 sticks for $15-$16 on Amazon that you can form into pucks. Easy to lather and slick.
  • Razorock What-the-Puck - Good value french milled hard puck that works well with my synthetic brushes or with a boar.
  • Cyril R. Salter 100 gram puck - excellent tallow based shaving soap with a nice floral scent. 4.50 British pounds at Connaught shaving. Same soap base as D.R. Harris that costs twice as much.
  • Tabac, new vegan formula, easy to make plenty of slick, stable lather. Works well for me. Per others scent is better than the original tallow version.
  • Soft Italian Shaving soaps- Plenty to choose from , Cella, Proraso and Razorock (Classic Italian or the P.160 that I use are great choices). Note that these lather best if you load by scooping out the soap for each shave versus loading directly on the brush.
When building you lather you need to dial each product in to determine if wetter versus richer/thicker works best for you. Best to start with a damp brush with no excess moisture and add small amounts of water as you build the lather. I use apothecary mugs for my hard pucks where I load and build proto-lather on the puck for up to a minute and then finish the build by face lathering.

For my softer soaps, where I scoop the product, I build the lather in a small 4" stainless bowl. While not mentioned above I use a few shaving creams (Lea and Cyril R. Salter) where I apply the cream directly to my face and then proceed to face lather.

Crash course above so feel free if you see preferred approach above and want more details. Good luck on your shaving journey!

P.S. Consider Dorco ST300/301 Stainless or STP300/301 Prime blades. They are my best blade and the newer (over past 5 years+) made in Vietnam (not Korea) production is well regarded by most here on B&B. $6-$10 for a 100 pack of these blades.

Last edited:
I have experience with the Fatip. It’s not my favorite but it can be an effective razor. I’m not a fan of slants or frankenrazors so I’d go with the Fatip.

The point of my post is that you should commit yourself to one razor, blade, soap, brush combination and use it consistently to develop solid technique.
@InconsistentShaves , Quaznoid is absolutely right if you razor aggressiveness is at a reasonable level for your skin and beard characteristics. If its far too aggressive or too mild there may be a lot of unnecessary effort in trying to realize great shaves on a regular basis. The fact that you keep nicking yourself means you may be better off with a milder or adjustable razor while you dial in your technique. Since you've been DE shaving for 10+ years and still believe you can better perfect your shaves supports this.

Welcome

You have received excellent recommendations. Little said is probably new to you. I can give you, no better recommendations. Here are my two cents. Yes kinda long but hope it helps.

So you have been DE shaving for 10 years plus. Sounds like you are a very experienced shaver who understands your skin type and knows how to shave using good technique. Sounds like you are pleased with the products you use?

You said when you first began, you were impressed. What were you impressed with:
The razor
The blade
You technique
The shave
The products

What caused you to not be impressed for the last 8-9 years anymore? Curious.

You said:
“Sometimes I get nicks, especially the neck area. I like to be bbs, so usually a 2 pass, sometimes a 3, but I am sometimes left with missed bits or very minute stubble. I want to be able to shave daily/every other day, but sometimes can be 3-4 days.”

You said:
“Other things to note, I don’t always have time for a shower and a shave. I also don’t have a lot of time to take it slow either.”

What is best for you?
Over, let’s say the last five years
1. have you figured out the best time to shave so you do not have to rush
shower or no shower
2. How long does it take you to shave?
3. Are you pleased with how long it takes you to shave?
4. Are you pleased with your technique
5. Are you pleased with how often you shave

My recommendation:

Choose one of the three razors you already have? Choose a few blades you like. For now, use only them for the next few weeks.

Go to YouTube. Watch Geofatboy videos. He’s great. His technique is on point. See if the razors you use is one he reviewed. Or find someone else who uses your razor and watch their routines and their techniques.

Take what you like from what you see with their routines and their techniques and add them to yours. This will take some time.

Once you get to the point and you are:
1. Getting no nicks or less nicks on your neck
2. Happy with the time it takes you to shave
3. Shaving daily whether it includes showering or not
4. Shaving at the right time so you do not have to rush
5. Am I getting the quality shave I want, BBS, DFS?
6. Shaving as often as you like
7. Pleased with your progress

Ask yourself have you reached your goal. If you have, now if you want to purchase a new razor you have a better idea of what is right for you.

Hope this was helpful. Continue to enjoy your shaves for the next ten plus years.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I haven't seen it mentioned and I don't want to assume. Have you taken the time to do a face map to determine which way your whiskers grow? If not, you might consider doing that. It can help a lot as you can do your passes more effectively.

If you are thinking about a new razor and want to keep the price at a lower price point, you might take a look at the Good Fellas Bayonetta. It's under $60 at the big A site, if you are a Prime member and don't have to pay for shipping. I would put it in the upper mild to lower medium efficiency range...

Then follow the advice given above... If you do... or don't buy a new razor, take a look at the various shave of the day threads and see what blades other people are using. There is even a thread now documenting how many times the top blades here on B&B are being used. For me, I prefer sharper blades... just under the Feathers. A couple to try would be the Perma-Sharps, Nacets, possible Wizamets, though they are a bit difficult to come by sometimes. The King C Gillette blades are now made in China and people are reporting good things about them... But you'd have to buy 100 to make it worth your while. You might want to hold off on that, but it's up to you.

I went off track there for a paragraph.... pick a razor and stick with it for a few months after you've mapped your whisker growth. Work on your skin prep. There are lots of threads about it... I need a lot of skin prep to soften up my coarse, old man, grey whiskers.

Another thing that might benefit you is to start reading some of the journals and diaries..... You'll be able to read the journeys others have taken and it might end up being of great value to you.

I know all this advice can be overwhelming.... Relax.... take a deep breath and realize, all of us have gone through what you are experiencing.... Very few of us have easy to mow down whiskers. You'll find your way and I doubt it will take much since you've already been wet shaving for quite some time. An adjustment here and there and you'll be golden.

@InconsistentShaves For the past three weeks or so I've been getting very good shaves from the Parker Semi-Slant. It's a good razor and has a more prominent spot in my rotation.

If you are thinking about getting a new razor I urge you to consider a mild fixed angle razor. Two I like are the Leaf Twig (half DE blade) and the Simple Clean Shave razor. They are both mild, give terrific shaves, and are more difficult to nick yourself with. They're both better than the Parker Semi-Slant although it's a fine razor in it's own right.

Top Bottom