11/365
Tuesday - 11 April 2024

Razor: Rockwell R4 (11)
Blade: Astra SS (1)
Bowl: Bicrops black
Brush: Simpson T3
Pre: Proraso blue
Lather: TOBS Jermyn Street

Result: 10/10 - BBS (Happy blade, happy face)

I decided to start going through my blade sampler pack.
First time I tried using a different blade and today I put Astra SS (1) to compare it with Astra SP.
I will go through all of it starting with blades manufactured by Gillette.

Astra SS is sharp at the get go unlike SP which is smooth at first shave then gets the feel of its sharpness after.
I was extra careful today and just a quick tiny bit of stinging after applying Thayers and Nivea.

Looks like the stinging I felt on my previous shave is not due to poor technique but rather dull blade.
I should stop monitoring how long would it last and just toss it out after 5 shaves.

Its better to just enjoy it than to get nasty sting post shave.

IMG_8592.jpeg

Last edited:
My inner me suffering from BAD, another impulse buying.
Amazon order just arrived.

100's of Feathers and Personna comfort coated (are these what they call lab blues?)
I haven't even tried them yet but pulled the trigger anyways.
Astra SP (not included) was my first 100's when I started DE shaving.

I think my blade stash is more or less 500 including the the blade samplers.
Trying to put my inner me on a tight leash, wifey already glaring at me. :lol:

I better start looking for a secret hiding place.

IMG_8599.jpeg
IMG_8533.jpeg

12/365
Tuesday - 14 April 2024

Razor: Rockwell R4 (12)
Blade: Astra SS (2)
Pre: Proraso pre-shave green
Lather: Proraso cream green

Result: 10/10 - Menthol on proraso green makes me reach for it atleast once in week. It is starting to be my go to favorite and the feeling is beyond explanation.

Anyways pretty happy with my shave tonight.

Happy shaving everyone !!!

IMG_8620.jpeg

13/365
Tuesday - 16 April 2024

Razor: Rockwell R4 (13)
Blade: Astra SS (3)
Brush: Parker pure badger
Pre: Proraso pre-shave blue
Lather: Chiseled Face Summer Storm

Result: 8/10 - 1st impression on CF summer storm is a bit mild scent compare to Cedar and Spice. Up next would be the GTB which smells really good from the moment you lift the lid.

A bit of irritation today. 3rd use of Astra SS and I can feel its tugging sort of like skipping. It did not cut stubble as efficient as the last 2 shaves with it.

Still pretty close shave but irritation after is a bit disappointing.

Have a good shave everyone !!!

IMG_8627.jpeg

Last edited:
14/365
Tuesday - 18 April 2024

Razor: Rockwell R4 (14)
Blade: Astra SS (4)
Pre: Good old warm shower
Lather: Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber

Result: 10/10

Gave Astra SS another chance to confirm whether irritation last shave was due to dull blade or not.
I was surprise to get BBS shave tonight.

Clearly shows that there's a lot more for me to learn and discover.
Maybe poor lather, a bit on the thick side last shave.
Maybe poor technique, too much pressure not knowing that Astra SS is different than Astra SP.
What really matter is that I am enjoying this journey.

Very satisfied with the shave tonight and now I know why so many love Pinaud Clubman.
Gave me that alcohol bite and quickly settles in after a few seconds leaving that amazing scent.

My wife and daughters could not believe how smooth my face feels like.
All of them asked me what is that scent I am wearing.

IMG_8673.jpeg

14/365
Tuesday - 18 April 2024

Gave Astra SS another chance to confirm whether irritation last shave was due to dull blade or not.

Maybe poor technique, too much pressure not knowing that Astra SS is different than Astra SP.

Very satisfied with the shave tonight and now I know why so many love Pinaud Clubman.
Gave me that alcohol bite and quickly settles in after a few seconds leaving that amazing scent.

Have a good shave everyone !!!View attachment 1831549
I like Ghost Town Barber quite a bit, I have a sample of it. I don't need any more soaps now.

I like Ghost Town Barber quite a bit, I have a sample of it. I don't need any more soaps now.

Same here, get the full tub. I have Summer Storm & Cedar & Spice but like GTB among them all. No wonder its their best selling soap.

I may need to get one more soap just to have 10 in my den. Doubt if I could even finish them all in a year. 🤣

One issue for me, I’m losing few bristles of my relatively new parker badger brush when lathering directly from the tub. I thought it wont suppose to happen till after years of using it.

I enjoy that moment than scrapping the soap & pressing it into a bowl to lather.

Am I exerting too much force, lack of water to loosen up the soap or was it because I am soaking the brush into a warm water for too long?

Last edited:
I may need to get one more soap just to have 10 in my den.
I'm at 30 soaps now, sorta jumped down the SAD rabbit hole a while ago. Haha. I'll use up one before I get another soap. I wonder if using up the sample counts as using a tub???

Hair loss could be a number of things, new brushes tend to lose bristles for a while, then the loss should trail off. On the force used, I don't really apply a ton of force, but I don't have an ultralight touch either. I know that may be as clear as mud, but to lose bristles from the force you use, I'd think you would have to be using quite a bit. Sometimes bristle loss is due to soaking the brush in water over the handle, I always leave a little bit of bristles showing when soaking the brushes, that way water doesn't creep into the handle and soften the glue. It may not matter that much, but to me keeping the knot inside the handle as dry as possible can't be a bad thing. So far I don't have a big problem with the loss of bristles.

Good stuff. 🙂

After doing this for about two years, I still get some sting from my alcohol-based aftershave on EVERY shave. It's the intensity of the feedback that I use to grade myself, my technique, and if I've over-shaved.

Really, the best judge of whether or not you are doing you're part correctly is how your face feels a bit later. If I still feel a burn after an hour or so, I probably was too aggressive or careless.

Anyway, happy shaves, enjoy the ride, and welcome to the show. 🙂👍

I'm at 30 soaps now, sorta jumped down the SAD rabbit hole a while ago. Haha. I'll use up one before I get another soap. I wonder if using up the sample counts as using a tub???

Wow I reckon that’s a good 10 to 15 years maybe even more. Sample definitely counts, regret newbie syndrome here. I thought you were referring to those 10 tiny different CF sampler soaps.

Thanks make sense to keep handle end dry. Will soak lower half of the bristles next time I shave.

Yippeeee got a few more goodies.

I was always intrigue with Henson AL13+. I was supposed to get it as my 1st razor when I started DE shaving but decided to go with Rockwell 6S instead.

To satisfy and end my curiosity, grab one myself. I could always pass it on to my daughter for her leg shaving in case it wouldn’t work out.

In addition, BAD kicks in so threw in 100’s of German Wilkies instead of the RK’s they are offering. Got it for just 30 usd not sure but looks like its a good deal.

Could not wait to shave with it. 🪒😅

IMG_8677.jpeg

14/365
Tuesday - 18 April 2024

Have a good shave everyone !!!View attachment 1831549
Cannot go wrong with a classic like the Clubman Pinaud like that! Sounds like a great shave.

15/365
Sunday - 21 April 2024

Razor: Henson AL13+ (01)
Blade: Personna Comfort Coated (1)
Pre: Proraso red pre shave
Lather: Proraso red cream

My anticipated maiden shave with Henson has finally came. The hype, my curiosity and the what if, will all finally be answered.

Perhaps I got used to shaving with my Rockwell 6S so this is just my initial assessment.

No irritation at all after the shave which is very good. When they advertise that AL13+ is mild they mean serious business. I have to actually re-check again whether the blade is inside, did I put everything correctly? Now I can confirm for me atleast that it felt like Rockwell’s R2 plate.

It was light weight, very easy to manuever and low profile that could easily go under my nose.

Having said all the above, there is no blade feel but don’t be fooled it is there for sure.

I have to apply a little pressure just to feel the blade. I know, should have not done that. It caused me 2 tiny nicks but nothing serious at all.

Another minor concern for me, I had to be extra careful when threading the handle. Being aluminum, it was so soft and was afraid to over tighten it.

Overall it was a great close shave, manage to do the job but needs extra passes. Delivered a smooth, irritation free shave for sure.

IMG_8697.jpeg

16/365
Tuesday - 23 April 2024

Razor: Henson AL13+ (2)
Blade: Personna Comfort Coated (2)
Brush: Parker Pure Badger
Pre: Warm shower
Lather: TOBS Eton College

Result: 8/10

Two things I want to understand today.

I don’t know exactly how to describe it but hope to get some advise on this.

1st for some reason, I am very cautious to overtighten the razor, AL13+. Being aluminum, there is this feeling that thread will snap or will squeeze the top cap and base plate if I go any further.

I know that its tight already but extra turn could still go if I would. I never felt this with Rockwell 6S when you tighten, Being stainless steel it will tell you stop that’s the end of it.

2nd, Personna blade suddenly felt so sharp today, not smooth at all. I can immediately feel the blade on my 1st stroke despite exerting no pressure at all. This is the exact opposite of my 1st shave which was so little blade feel and no irritation.

Question I was asking myself was, did the blade suddenly get sharper because the coating wore off?

Or it became aggressive because I did not tighten the blade all the way resulting into bigger blade gap?

It was like a completely different razor and blade all together compare to my last shave. I was totally confuse.

Shave was still very close but lots of irritation, razor burn. I could tell even before applying A/S.

Anyways, as always - Have a good shave everyone !!!

IMG_8720.jpeg

16/365
Tuesday - 23 April 2024

Razor: Henson AL13+ (2)
Blade: Personna Comfort Coated (2)
Brush: Parker Pure Badger
Pre: Warm shower
Lather: TOBS Eton College

Result: 8/10

Two things I want to understand today.

I don’t know exactly how to describe it but hope to get some advise on this.

1st for some reason, I am very cautious to overtighten the razor, AL13+. Being aluminum, there is this feeling that thread will snap or will squeeze the top cap and base plate if I go any further.

I know that its tight already but extra turn could still go if I would. I never felt this with Rockwell 6S when you tighten, Being stainless steel it will tell you stop that’s the end of it.

2nd, Personna blade suddenly felt so sharp today, not smooth at all. I can immediately feel the blade on my 1st stroke despite exerting no pressure at all. This is the exact opposite of my 1st shave which was so little blade feel and no irritation.

Question I was asking myself was, did the blade suddenly get sharper because the coating wore off?

Or it became aggressive because I did not tighten the blade all the way resulting into bigger blade gap?

It was like a completely different razor and blade all together compare to my last shave. I was totally confuse.

Shave was still very close but lots of irritation, razor burn. I could tell even before applying A/S.

Anyways, as always - Have a good shave everyone !!!

View attachment 1834495
I can certainly understand your concern regarding aluminum and over tightening. I just snug them, but not over tightening. It is hard to give an objective measurement on this. I do not own a Henson so I cannot speak for them directly, but if a razor bends the blade quite a bit, not tightening all the way will have more of an impact on aggressiveness in my opinion. On the razors that bend the blade less it seems to have less of an impact. If you still have a full turn to go I would say that it is too loose.

I sometimes use this to my advantage, if I have an overly mild razor. I may snug it up and then back it out 1/16 turn or so. Just a little and it can make quite the difference. You do not want to do this too much though since you loose blade support and can have blade chatter which is not good.

Top Bottom