What's new

Shapton Heavy Stone Holder- will it fit other stones?

I want to upgrade my stoneholder and thought of getting the Shapton Heavy stone holder but I although I have some glass stones I really want to know if the holder will fit my Naniwa Pros, choseras, etc as long as they share the same length as with the glass stones.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Yes, works well with Naniwas

IMG_0575.jpeg

I want to upgrade my stoneholder and thought of getting the Shapton Heavy stone holder but I although I have some glass stones I really want to know if the holder will fit my Naniwa Pros, choseras, etc as long as they share the same length as with the glass stones.
I don't think that's just the same as my Shapton holder; it looks much thicker. But I had put mine aside, because I thought it would hold only SG stones, then someone told me to just use the other side, a rectangular outline of grippy rubber that holds anything SG size or larger quite well.

I don't think that's just the same as my Shapton holder; it looks much thicker. But I had put mine aside, because I thought it would hold only SG stones, then someone told me to just use the other side, a rectangular outline of grippy rubber that holds anything SG size or larger quite well.
Thanks! I asked the vendor the same question and they said it was suppose to match other stones as well. If there is an interest from the community I´ll report back. Thanks also for the heads up.

I use a Steelex with an old 1k diamond plate, then a piece of rubber drawer liner and use smaller or larger stone on the liner with no issues. I never tighten the holder to the stone.

I hone on a plastic food tray, over 2 strips of 6mm Yoga mat. I can perfectly level the tray and stone, so water and slurry stay on the stone.

Good tips about how to adapt the holder to fit other sizes of stones. Received my holder yesterday. The tips given works well. Tried a few Jnats that was a bit short of lenght. Did not even had to have a mat underneath.. They just stuck firmly right on..
My concern was originally with other stones but would these fit other stones as well…(own mainly Naniwas and Shaptons)? They DO share the same length so no concern there. Thicker stones is no problem either. GREAT holder. They are not cheap but a true joy to use. Extremely sturdy. My other holders will see less to no play in the future.

Anoter great tip, thanks David. i acciendently have a DMT mat and might try the combo with a plexi -but after an evening of sharpening my other (not supposed to fit) jnats fit admirably fit in the holder. Great piece. Expenisve but I would likely buy it again

Top Bottom