What's new

Lambda Athena

First shave with Lambda Athena.
After feeling their working qualities, I have to say that the unique design and perfect craftsmanship take a back seat. The focus definitely shifts to how he shaves. I have to admit that when I looked at the technical specifications, a gap of only 0.34 mm and zero blade exposure, I expected a compromise shave, at the expense of comfort. Well, nothing like that!
The theoretical specifications, in no way, suggest the practical possibilities and the way it actually shaves.

Got my easiest and fastest BBS today with absolutely no irritation. It shows that it was made by an excellent engineer with experience, skill and passion for shaving. This shaver is at least as efficient as the Muhle Rocca, and quite possibly more so (I have yet to find out) and is very close to the Blackbird, but the shaving comfort it offers is on a whole other level. (I compare with the mentioned razors, because of the ones I have, it is the closest to them in terms of efficiency). It's so soft, gentle and smooth that I feel like I can shave with just water. I don't use alum constantly, because for me personally, it irritates more than the other way around. But when I try a new razor, I check how much it scratched me. But now, I didn't feel anything, like running an ice pack over my face. You don't feel alum, you don't feel aftershave... total boredom. I guess the reasons for this performance are clever engineering decisions in the design of the head.

Even after the first rinse, I realized that the head holds water and gradually releases it when it is passed over the skin, thus creating extra slipperiness. BUT, it can drip more than one would like. If you don't want this water to stay in your head, you can shake the razor sideways and it will fall. The rinsing itself is also very interesting. When the jet of water hits the safety strip, the foam and water are removed from the grooves directed on both sides, coming out literally in jets. In fact, I've noticed that the lather comes out through these holes when shaving itself, even without rinsing.
According to the engineer who designed the razor, this specification ensures that the head will never clog and at the same time foam will not be driven towards the handle.
The blade grips perfectly between the two plates, without any vibration (so-called chatter or rattle) which makes shaving against the hair significantly more comfortable than any others I've tried.

I followed her for quite some time, but did not order because there was no availability, and I did not want to wait three months and more, signing up for the preliminary lists.
Now that I have already tried it, I understand that this is indeed a very special razor that is unlike any of the others I have, not only in appearance, but also in performance.

It definitely exceeded my expectations and I'm glad I was lucky enough to get it so easily, skipping the pesky pre-lists.

Wow. You noticed a lot of things for the first shave. It took me months to spot all these nuances of how the razor functions. Glad it worked so well for you.

Ok I might have missed something, but have you seen this picture on Theo’s website?

1713356755037.png

Especially that one on the far right. Has he added copper to the line as well? Looks stunning!

Cheers,

Guido

Ok I might have missed something, but have you seen this picture on Theo’s website?

View attachment 1830933

Especially that one on the far right. Has he added copper to the line as well? Looks stunning!

Cheers,

Guido
My understanding is that the SS, Copper and Titanium were all specs and special orders. The SS Athena was a small production run of 25. These are not in his main portfolio for purchase.

View attachment 1830933

Cheers,

Guido

Here's a higher quality version:

athenas.jpg

The stainless steel, matte titanium, and copper on the right are custom orders but he's been opening some of them up to waiting list orders recently.

He's also thinking about doing the same for the Ares v2.

The most frequently used razors in my rotation are: Blackbird, Muhle Rocca and Muhle R41 GS, if I overdo the repetitions, or the wrong movements with any of them, it logically leads to irritation. But it is not so pronounced immediately after shaving, and the damage is more noticeable the next or even the second day after shaving (fortunately, this happens extremely rarely).
Now let me explain why I made this clarification. Today, a day after the first shave with Lambda Athena, there is not even a hint of any irritation, just no sign of a razor. I think this is another indicator that the tool works very gently, but at the same time effectively.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
The most frequently used razors in my rotation are: Blackbird, Muhle Rocca and Muhle R41 GS, if I overdo the repetitions, or the wrong movements with any of them, it logically leads to irritation. But it is not so pronounced immediately after shaving, and the damage is more noticeable the next or even the second day after shaving (fortunately, this happens extremely rarely).
Now let me explain why I made this clarification. Today, a day after the first shave with Lambda Athena, there is not even a hint of any irritation, just no sign of a razor. I think this is another indicator that the tool works very gently, but at the same time effectively.
This sums up my experience with this razor so far. I have a few razors that I (used to) lean on for a great and predictable shave. My Timeless .68sb or bronze.38 and my tech. I do need to make minor adjustments in angle and pressure (shush, it's British spiral handled aluminum tech and it ways less than a fart), and pair it with the right blade.

Cue the Lambda Athena. Two passes with any blade is equal to three passes with any of my "go to" razors. If I go three passes it's BBS guaranteed. Irritation? Zero. If I drag the alum stick across my face there is ZERO feedback.

The angle is steep for me, but I don't need to search for it because the razor "sings" to me when I have it right and I can feel it biting into my whiskers.

I think if there is a fault with this razor it's that it has killed any RAD for me and although I do like shiny new things, I couldn't justify picking up another in a different metal.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
For all wondering about the length of Ares and Athena, @walpan already gave you the something just over 9 cm measurements, they are very easy to hold and you will automatically use the "butt rest" at the end, it is slightly concave at the underside, making it a great place to rest your pinky.

Also don't be worried about the weight, unless you absolutely demand a super lightweight razor, you won't even notice it.

Just saying, because I had doubts if the large amphora style handle would not even be too much for me, who likes long and heavy handles.

Top Bottom