What's new

Disposable DE vs Cheap DE

Hi all. I'm traveling to Ireland from the US and am trying to figure this whole taking a DE on a plane thing. Only taking a carry on, no checked bag. I can get blades easily once I land in Dublin, as there's a nice shop called Shaving.IE there.

But it seems like disposable razors are okay in carry ons because the blade is fixed and non removable. So I found a disposable DE on Amazon. But I'm wondering if I should just risk taking a cheap DE considering the cost of the disposables will be about $20. And if were to get a cheap DE, should I try to get one that is mostly plastic? Would that help my chances of getting through TSA?

"The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint"
This! Why risk it?

If it's me, I'm flying with a Gillette Guard and a couple extra cartridges.

The Guards can seize what they want and delay you. Argue it all you want, it's their call. Cause a scene, you aren't getting on the plane. You may be right and get the razor in the end, but you won't be on your scheduled flight.

Obviously taking DE blades in a carry on would be prohibited, but my recommendation is still not to take a DE in a carry on, disassembled or not. As has been mentioned, the Blueberry Militia can take what they want from your carry on. Best not to risk it. (Corollary: I don't recommend trying to use logic, such as "The razor can't cut anything without a blade.")

Interesting. Still showing as allowed on TSA's site. Could be out of date, but I suspect it's still fine to carry on a razor without blade.
I would caution against relying on the TSA web site. Individual agents have wide latitude to confiscate many items. A safety razor without blades is harmless, of course, but it's still called a "razor." This fact alone seems to be sufficient to cause confusion (and again, I would not recommend attempting to use reason or logic).

I don't remember if I took a DE with me last trip to UK, but I also check bags.
Brush, soap, and splashes - sure.

Personally, I'd just pop into Tesco for a 3pk of Mach IIIs or Wilkinson Hydros for under €10 if I weren't taking my own.
I'd maybe chance it with any number of tech clones out there, but definitely nothing I'd be sore about getting nicked

Also: A recent article on Sharpologist.com reinforces this. A comment from that article:
I asked a TSA supervisor at our little regional airport specifically about safety razors in carry-on bags and that I had heard they were no longer permitted.

She confirmed that her guidance was that SAFETY RAZORS THAT HAD REMOVABLE BLADES WERE NO LONGER PERMITTED, WHETHER THERE WAS A BLADE IN THE RAZOR/BAG OR NOT.
So again, take a DE razor in your carry-on, without blades, at your own risk. They can confiscate it.

I don't remember if I took a DE with me last trip to UK, but I also check bags.
Brush, soap, and splashes - sure.

Personally, I'd just pop into Tesco for a 3pk of Mach IIIs or Wilkinson Hydros for under €10 if I weren't taking my own.
I'd maybe chance it with any number of tech clones out there, but definitely nothing I'd be sore about getting nicked
A Razorock Teck II is only $6, I'm happy to chance that.

There's not much risk in taking a DE razor without blades through TSA. I recommend disassembling the razor and keeping the three pieces in separate areas of your bag. That's overkill, but some less-informed TSA agents have taken assembled razors even though there's no blade.

This. 👍

Have been doing it for years and never encountered any problems.
A disassembled three piece safety razor is unlikely to arouse any suspicions.

Putting the three pieces in different places within your carry-on even less so (even though I do admit that I usually place them in the same container as my electric toothbrush).

Besides, TSA and other airport security staff are generally not out to annoy and inconvenience travelers any more than their job requires. A bit of common courtesy and non-confrontational attitude goes a long way.

B.

Top Bottom