What's new

Replating Providers?

Fellow Blade Brains,

My Gillette Tech gold plated razor may need a little re-plating. I've noticed a small spot on the edge of the head which got a bit green, which I suppose is the underlying brass oxidizing?

Who offers quality yet economical gold re-plating for Gillette razors? While local to NYC (where I live) would be quicker, that also usually means more expensive. I'm very price sensitive these days.

Any recommendations?

Appreciatively
BarbaGnosa

Chris at Back Roads Gold is the current default choice. For good reason...

Does anyone know of replaters other than Back Road Golds? BRG won't replate razors previously replated by someone else. Years ago, someone replated my Gillette New LC and did a sloppy job. BRG won't touch it.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
There is a chap that used to be in England that re plated razors and he emigrated to New Zealand. If you Google Auckland Razors it should show him. Otherwise Google safety razor re plating New Zealand and that should show his whereabouts. I know it is out of the country for you but I believe that he did good work.

Does anyone know of replaters other than Back Road Golds? BRG won't replate razors previously replated by someone else. Years ago, someone replated my Gillette New LC and did a sloppy job. BRG won't touch it.
BRG replaced a razor for me recently, and Chris said he thought someone else had done it previously. Chris did a great job and never implied that he had an issue doing the work.

User grade USA news aren’t difficult to come across.

BRG doesn’t strip nickel plating. Replating over a bad foundation of poor plating probably won’t work well for him

Razorplate.com does strip the plating including manually removing rhodium and gold. He doesn’t specify excluding already plated razors so I would ask first just in case. I’ve got a few from him, he does good work and does things that BRG doesn’t seem like they’re setup for at the moment.

Top Bottom