What's new

My Guess... 3017

I think Bob should use some St.Charles Shave!
Or La Toja Manatiales :letterk1:

worriedface.gif

Back in 2013, I visited the UK and spent a few days in London (as one does). Rather than go nuts visiting the shave shops (my family would have killed me), I decided to stop in DR Harris. Surprisingly, it’s an actual working chemists (pharmacy), with an extensive grooming section. I decided to pick up a couple of things that I could only get there, including a DR Harris synthetic brush. Back then it was pretty good, but pales in comparison to what we can get now.

I also saw and bought a Limited Edition Arlington shave soap in a black bowl. I’ve seen reference to it here, but that’s about it. Here it is:

IMG_3038.jpeg

IMG_3039.jpeg

IMG_3040.jpeg

IMG_3041.jpeg

IMG_3042.jpeg

As you can see it’s a good looking bowl (still sealed) with a regular old puck of Arlington in it. Knowing how warped the wood bowls get, I will move it to a different dish to keep the black bowl in good nick. I see no reason not to use the soap. Harris is decent, but not the best in my hands.

Back in 2013, I visited the UK and spent a few days in London (as one does). Rather than go nuts visiting the shave shops (my family would have killed me), I decided to stop in DR Harris. Surprisingly, it’s an actual working chemists (pharmacy), with an extensive grooming section. I decided to pick up a couple of things that I could only get there, including a DR Harris synthetic brush. Back then it was pretty good, but pales in comparison to what we can get now.

I also saw and bought a Limited Edition Arlington shave soap in a black bowl. I’ve seen reference to it here, but that’s about it. Here it is:

View attachment 1825426

View attachment 1825427

View attachment 1825428

View attachment 1825429

View attachment 1825431

As you can see it’s a good looking bowl (still sealed) with a regular old puck of Arlington in it. Knowing how warped the wood bowls get, I will move it to a different dish to keep the black bowl in good nick. I see no reason not to use the soap. Harris is decent, but not the best in my hands.

Thats sweet! The bowl will be a nice memory of a wonderful trip.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
IMG_20240413_000028.jpg

I finished the Barbaccio soap tonight the tiny bit left at the bottom is definitely not enough for another shave. Tomorrow is SV Saturday so it will be Sunday before I have to pick my next 3017 which will likely be a stick of Tabac crushed into a bowl from 2021 or a tube of Proraso green

I'm not going to report much personal activity for a while. Pictured is a salt container I found in an antique store years back. I loaded it with a tallow Tabac puck and stick (combined 100 shaves) and another new stick for good measure. Today was my 167th shave with the Tabac pile. I've got a long way to go to report this one as a kill.
As a side note, and I guess this is a better place to ask than the General sub forum, do you go "nose blind" after using a soap for a while? I can barely detect the scent of the Tabac anymore.

Attachments

• 20240414_091132.jpg
    20240414_091132.jpg
    842.7 KB · Views: 12
I can barely detect the scent of the Tabac anymore.
To me that’s an accomplishment in its own! I have had a puck air out outside for half a day and still it has that distinct smell. I don’t think you go nose blind when using the soap continuously. You might get used to the scent yes, but not smelling it anymore I believe would be unlikely. I think the scent dials down if exposed to air in general. But your salt container looks like it has a pretty tight fit lid with inner ring as well.

So basically I have no idea.

Guido

I'm not going to report much personal activity for a while. Pictured is a salt container I found in an antique store years back. I loaded it with a tallow Tabac puck and stick (combined 100 shaves) and another new stick for good measure. Today was my 167th shave with the Tabac pile. I've got a long way to go to report this one as a kill.
As a side note, and I guess this is a better place to ask than the General sub forum, do you go "nose blind" after using a soap for a while? I can barely detect the scent of the Tabac anymore.

I definitely go nose blind, which can be a shame when it’s a soap like Penhaligon’s or Floris.

Top Bottom