What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Blackbird Ti satin
IMG_7788.jpeg

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
The next package arrived, still waiting on 3 (I know, 1 in customs, 1 stuck in Calgary for the last 2 days, 1 still in Illinois). Anyway, Gillette SuperSpeed black handle marked W1 (Qtr1 for 1976). Not my Birthyear but close. In very good shape. A bit of paint missing on the handle. The mechanism needed oil (very squeaky) so I put a drop of mineral oil. Sounds like a new razor now!
IMG_1961.JPGIMG_1962.JPGIMG_1963.JPG

I don't own many TTO razors (see, none except for that one). I used them before but preferred the 3 pieces (or 2) as the head is thinner. The last TTO that I used was 10+ years ago. We shall see if the experience helped.

Two new arrivals from Japan. On the left is a Chikuhodo SH-2, the right is a Koyudo "Mens Shaving & Face Wash Brush". Both companies started making calligraphy brushes, then very high end make-up brushes, and now a very few shaving brushes. The Chikuhodo is 18mm by 60mm and is made of Japanese "water badger" (Meles anakuma). Water badger hair is rather thick and resilient at the root but tapers toward the tip. Thus it is strong and resilient, yet gentle on the skin. The Koyudo is 24mmx45mm and is made of "Saikouhou",the highest quality hair among mountain goats.
View attachment 1827181
Could you please PM me some information on where you ordered and what price range they sell for.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Another parcel is in (2 more in transit). Gillette Tech travel razor. I read it as K1 but if I change the angle of the plate a bit, I read N1. I put my reading glasses on. I'm not sure if it's K or N. This one was made for South America since it has Marcas REG on the bottom right (under the baseplate).

This is pre-wash. There's a Gillette Stainless Steel blade in that I disposed of.

IMG_1978.JPGIMG_1979.JPG

So, post-cleanup (good old dawn+warm water+toothbrush from 1999), I'm fairly confident that it's a K1. That would make this razor a 1965.

I mainly bought this one to have a spare Tech (I will use another handle on it). Also, since it's a razor for South America, I'm wondering if it shaves differently (probably not). It cleaned up well, looks like it's new!

The next package arrived, still waiting on 3 (I know, 1 in customs, 1 stuck in Calgary for the last 2 days, 1 still in Illinois). Anyway, Gillette SuperSpeed black handle marked W1 (Qtr1 for 1976). Not my Birthyear but close. In very good shape. A bit of paint missing on the handle. The mechanism needed oil (very squeaky) so I put a drop of mineral oil. Sounds like a new razor now!
View attachment 1827420View attachment 1827421View attachment 1827422

I don't own many TTO razors (see, none except for that one). I used them before but preferred the 3 pieces (or 2) as the head is thinner. The last TTO that I used was 10+ years ago. We shall see if the experience helped.
The year I got out of the Air Force. I have a 1967, my dad's, and the first razor I ever used. You'll like it. FYI I stand mine up, open the doors just less than all the way, and add 5 to 6 drops of synthetic bike oil and let the oil run through overnight.

Last edited:

Gillette 'Red Tip' Rocket

• Personally I find that the super-speed razors produced in England are able to provide better shaves.
  • Finding the "rocket"-version that furthermore gives an extra smooth TTO mechanism makes it a true gem.
  • This specimen seems to be unused with all blades in the dispenser 👌🏼

IMG_4249.JPG
IMG_4250.JPG
IMG_4251.JPG

Bought another SuperSpeed at the flea market today for $9.

I have been cleaning it up, but I don’t think that it is nice enough to keep.

The chrome on the end thingies failed.

What can I use to polish the spots off the doors?

Attachments

• A39FE242-9D63-462A-A673-2BF30710CCC5.jpeg
    A39FE242-9D63-462A-A673-2BF30710CCC5.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 1D805459-422B-4152-A165-BDC39288DC70.jpeg
    1D805459-422B-4152-A165-BDC39288DC70.jpeg
    1,016.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 5287F166-45EB-462A-9E63-2D893AA41DAA.jpeg
    5287F166-45EB-462A-9E63-2D893AA41DAA.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 23
Vintage experts that know what they are looking at… did the chrome on the ends of my razor fail, or am I just missing end covers.

If I am missing end covers, is there a best place to order replacements from?

The metal looks too unfinished to be failed chrome. It looks like bare metal.

Attachments

• 6D325E15-C4E2-416E-829B-247E81F424DB.jpeg
    6D325E15-C4E2-416E-829B-247E81F424DB.jpeg
    891.1 KB · Views: 9
Vintage experts that know what they are looking at… did the chrome on the ends of my razor fail, or am I just missing end covers.

If I am missing end covers, is there a best place to order replacements from?

The metal looks too unfinished to be failed chrome. It looks like bare metal.
The other thing to consider it that it takes a bit of force to make that happen. Considering the doors don’t appear to be closing properly I’d suspect you might have bigger issues with blade alignment.

Unless a superspeed is a rarer model (ranger head) or has sentimental value they usually aren’t worth repairing from a value point of view. Here’s a lot I bought to try a USA Aristocrat Jr that came with a mechanically perfect Z1 for $16 (I did sell that for 1/2 of the eBay costs and my cost to ship to someone else though). Just keep your eyes open or post in BST.IMG_3559.png

Top Bottom