What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Henson Al13 Dr Squatch branded - pretty nice shave 👍
96C1EC0F-6F42-40F1-B183-D33FDB6C1ADC.jpeg

I took a ride across Vermont and checked out some antique shops. My last stop was my favorite Antique Mall. The normal vendors I get my razors from had new stuff but nothing I was looking for. One vendor she gets in big estate sales and I saw this on one of her displays. It had a $12 sticker on it and when I open it up my jaw almost hit the floor. I never thought I'd find a new Deluxe. This is a cruiser set correct?
I just looked at the mr-razor website and he has a picture of a New Traveler set that looks the same.
https://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/The NEW/1930 NEW De Luxe Gold Traveler.JPG

Rolls Razor, travel Tech, Knona, I don’t know what model the other one is, spoiler pack in the wrapper, and two soap tins $40 at a local antique store.

There is schmutz on a couple of them that I need to clean off… but they are in pretty good shape.

Anyone know what model the Gillette TTO is?

Attachments

• 1784929E-3303-40A6-BAAA-C4345124555C.jpeg
    1784929E-3303-40A6-BAAA-C4345124555C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • 3886DE8F-53EA-4049-B554-1ED83D4B48C3.jpeg
    3886DE8F-53EA-4049-B554-1ED83D4B48C3.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 24
  • 593A09CB-BB4A-44C1-9877-C2E4BF13C6CD.jpeg
    593A09CB-BB4A-44C1-9877-C2E4BF13C6CD.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
Is that good?
Yup, while the “sweet spot” is a little small they’re very smooth, efficient and have a slightly unique feel compared to other vintage gillettes.

The only draw back in my experience is that ranger style heads tend to be the ones most likely to have alignment issues that affect the shave. That could probably be due to being one of the first reasonably priced and mainstream one piece razors.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I got 2 Gillette Tech - Made in Canada - 1932 - yesterday. One of the two baseplates is marked X2 whereas the other one doesn't. They are not pristine but the plating is in good condition.

I can switch the caps so I'm not sure which goes on which but they work on each other.

There's a round handle with 6 faces (hexagon). I never saw that handle before.

This is post-clean-up, water was deep brown before I started, and there was rust, crust, etc.

Those two are a result of my quest to find a modern Tech clone. I decided to go back to vintage.

IMG_1955.JPGIMG_1956.JPGIMG_1957.JPG

This is a start... I have a few parcels in transit...

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Looking at my hexagon handle, I saw 3 that would fit what mr-razor has.

1940s - Tech in Zip case - Made in England
1943 - Service Set No 11 - Made in England
1945-1950 - Featherweight Aluminum Tech

My handle is not hollow like the 1940+1943 handles. Mine weighs 32 grams (just the handle) and 68 grams with the head.

I suspect that the handle was attached to the head from a different set.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
When excitement turns to disappointment. Alpha Claymore Evolution with a bent cap. The blade flexes up and down in the middle. And, as is apparently the new normal, neither Alpha nor The Razor Store will reply to an email about returning for replacement. I have also contacted The Razor Store here and on social media. Now I want a refund instead of a replacement. I’d prefer spending my money elsewhere. How companies with absolute garbage customer support stay in business boggles my mind.

IMG_5296.jpeg

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
When excitement turns to disappointment. Alpha Claymore Evolution with a bent cap. The blade flexes up and down in the middle. And, as is apparently the new normal, neither Alpha nor The Razor Store will reply to an email about returning for replacement. I have also contacted The Razor Store here and on social media. Now I want a refund instead of a replacement. I’d prefer spending my money elsewhere. How companies with absolute garbage customer support stay in business boggles my mind.

View attachment 1826912

A response! Sending this one back.

Agree with @uptown
Stando razors are hidden gem. Forgot to post here my new Mokosz in AL. This model has "only" 1.07 gap, also + blade exposure but shaves extraordinaly close and skin friendly. Stanislaw knows, and I will buy more from him.
View attachment 1825462
Totally agree - I have many (too) and brushes. Not a one of them is a disappointment. All are surprisingly good (well technically my jury is still out on the Jaruna (slant)) compared to others, especially at his price point.

Two new arrivals from Japan. On the left is a Chikuhodo SH-2, the right is a Koyudo "Mens Shaving & Face Wash Brush". Both companies started making calligraphy brushes, then very high end make-up brushes, and now a very few shaving brushes. The Chikuhodo is 18mm by 60mm and is made of Japanese "water badger" (Meles anakuma). Water badger hair is rather thick and resilient at the root but tapers toward the tip. Thus it is strong and resilient, yet gentle on the skin. The Koyudo is 24mmx45mm and is made of "Saikouhou",the highest quality hair among mountain goats.
20240410_142150.jpg

Two new arrivals from Japan. On the left is a Chikuhodo SH-2, the right is a Koyudo "Mens Shaving & Face Wash Brush". Both companies started making calligraphy brushes, then very high end make-up brushes, and now a very few shaving brushes. The Chikuhodo is 18mm by 60mm and is made of Japanese "water badger" (Meles anakuma). Water badger hair is rather thick and resilient at the root but tapers toward the tip. Thus it is strong and resilient, yet gentle on the skin. The Koyudo is 24mmx45mm and is made of "Saikouhou",the highest quality hair among mountain goats.
View attachment 1827181
Interesting brushes. Look forward to your observations.

Top Bottom