What's new

Suggest a Must-Have Razor

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
Correct. Blades by Kai and Feather ori design for shavettes but adapted to SE razors.
Artisan Club sounds like a company which implies a proprietary razor and blade design. The current discussion about AC razors made it sound more like an entire class of razors, just like DE stands for Double Edge razors which covers many brands made over many decades but they all use the same basic blade design.

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
At the risk of sounding like a moron, what does AC stand for?

I know it can't be Alternating Current unless there is some kind of new electrified safety razor. I'm doing good to know what DE stands for.

As the others said, Artist Club. The Blackland Vector is likely the most popular of the AC safety razors, and my favourite razor.

The blades are thicker, and longer in the length direction (~50mm vs a DE's ~40mm), narrower width however, so razor heads can be lower profile.

The biggest benefit to me is much fewer blade changes (they last longer) and are smoother thanks to much less/no chatter. The blades do cost more however. More uses helps normalize that a bit, but on a shave by shave basis they're still a little spendier.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I don't believe in a "must have" razor. That said, I have been gifted a few razors that are way over my budget that I would never let go of. They will be gifted to my kids when the time comes to meet Jesus face to face. I get as good of a shave from my 1940s (date could be off) open comb, my vintage straight razors, and my modern zamak razors (gave those away) as I do from the stainless steel ones I have been gifted. I am spoiled with the high quality of the stainless steel, but they don't shave better. I just happen to really like high quality tools. It is like the difference between the Stanley planes I own and the higher end Le Valley or Lie-Nelson plane.
I would make one exception when it comes to Stanley.... Their 118 low angle block plane is the best I've ever used.... and it isn't even close. They are made from stainless steel and were called "the Boy-proof" plane because they can be dropped with zero effect. They stopped making them in the mid 1980s, I think....but I have quite a few of them. I bought 4 NOS one on eBay years ago now....

I do have several Lee Valley and Lie-Nielson planes.... They are works of art.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
This thread sure did a quick 180 out of DE land.
I agree with @Old Hippie in getting a vintage Merkur super slant. Or another German vintage slant.
Maybe you could find a sweet French razor and an Italian one ... a Swedish Swing.
Lots of "must have" stuff out there, amigo.

When my DE shaves became routine, my attention shifted to these. More engaging, more deliberate, more attention required. I use these for a leisurely (but focused) shaves just to mix things up.

20240329_214535.jpg

Why not join the Lambda Athena head passaround if it's still open? It would be eye opening.

I have short list of Razors I woul like to try. Wolfman WR-2, Timeless Osprey, Mule Rocca (but I think this would be too aggressive from what I read), Yates, and Karve Overlander Brass.

Was sort of interested in REX until I got to hold a couple the models, Handle is very very rough like 60-Grit sandpaper.

Call me interest, as curiosity factor what I suffer from, after hearing lots of praise, and wows. Don't know why?

My few Gazors are Gillette Vintage all working condition, none refurbished, or MINT Condition. Just working tools that hold a DE Blade.

Gillette ABC. The style never gets old even thought it is 110+. You can get a nice razor with the case for a couple of Benjamins, or a solo razor for a quarter of that. Whatever you pay, it will retain value and some sets appreciate considerably over time. Straight teeth is a key want.
IMG_0141.jpg
IMG_0146.jpg

Top Bottom