What's new

The Scandal Sheet: Straights and other stuff

Just my legs for some reason. I think I've only had one EKG before (that I remember) and there was no shaving that I recall.

The stick-on monitor involved shaving my left pec, sanding it to rough up the skin, disinfection, and then massaging the sticker-leads for four minutes to make sure the adhesive took. I asked her since she was doing a shave, exfoliation, and massage, if she could do my nails too.
I had another suggestion in mind :)

Had a nice shave today. Decided not to mess around with experimentation. Managed a shower without completely drenching the cardiac tracker device, but I'll note that even using a washcloth it's not exactly easy to rinse the left armpit without getting the probe wet. Whatever. I'm about to peel the damnable thing off anyway.

I decided on Stirling Beeswax today for the soap, it's been neglected for a couple weeks at least. This is, by all measures, a great soap. It just works. Brush was the Oumo. Someone was asking for thoughts on their Emperor knots last night and I decided to remind myself how this one works. Certainly unlike anything else on my shelf.

The straight was the Heljestrand MK32. Nothing to note there, it shaves as good as it looks and it looks damn good. DE was the FOCS again, with another Nacet, proving that this combo is not a fluke. The razor is growing on me. I still like the Fatip Retro better, though.

Splash was the Veg, lots of it.

No music today although my ears seem to be settling back to normal for now. The oldest has a jazz band concert tonight so I need to stave off the auditory fatigue until then. Be well, all.
20240321_071720.jpg

Managed a shower without completely drenching the cardiac tracker device
I had to wear one for two weeks at the beginning of the year. I had no leads, just the unit over my sternum. I remember asking the staff about showering if it would come off. They said it would stay on with no issue, to which I said "Removing it must be a memorable experience." Haha, it wasn't too bad taking it off, not what you'd call a pleasant experience but not something that I'd dread for two weeks doing either.

Had a nice shave today. Decided not to mess around with experimentation. Managed a shower without completely drenching the cardiac tracker device, but I'll note that even using a washcloth it's not exactly easy to rinse the left armpit without getting the probe wet. Whatever. I'm about to peel the damnable thing off anyway.

I decided on Stirling Beeswax today for the soap, it's been neglected for a couple weeks at least. This is, by all measures, a great soap. It just works. Brush was the Oumo. Someone was asking for thoughts on their Emperor knots last night and I decided to remind myself how this one works. Certainly unlike anything else on my shelf.

The straight was the Heljestrand MK32. Nothing to note there, it shaves as good as it looks and it looks damn good. DE was the FOCS again, with another Nacet, proving that this combo is not a fluke. The razor is growing on me. I still like the Fatip Retro better, though.

Splash was the Veg, lots of it.

No music today although my ears seem to be settling back to normal for now. The oldest has a jazz band concert tonight so I need to stave off the auditory fatigue until then. Be well, all.View attachment 1815907
How do you like the Oumo brush? What would you compare it to?

How do you like the Oumo brush? What would you compare it to?
It feels like a worn terrycloth washcloth on my face. It's unlike any of my other brushes. Natural tips, lots of backbone, densely packed, low loft, so softly scrubby with no flop. Makes a lot of lather but doesn't give it up willingly

I like it a lot, because it's pretty, and it's different (and I like variety). But if I could only have one brush, it wouldn't be this one. It would probably be a silvertip with a higher loft to diameter ratio, at least 2:1 but probably a little higher.

That's good...to hear. Small Badaboom. I have hearing aids...I don't wear them all that often which tends to defeat the reason I got them in the first place. And the Missus will ask me from time to time "Are you going to wear your hearing aids"? To which I invariably reply "What"?

View attachment 1815922

The title of that video,
is the answer to the question:
"What do you say to a rambling pot head to get him to shut up?"

It feels like a worn terrycloth washcloth on my face. It's unlike any of my other brushes. Natural tips, lots of backbone, densely packed, low loft, so softly scrubby with no flop. Makes a lot of lather but doesn't give it up willingly

I like it a lot, because it's pretty, and it's different (and I like variety). But if I could only have one brush, it wouldn't be this one. It would probably be a silvertip with a higher loft to diameter ratio, at least 2:1 but probably a little higher.
Thanks.

Frameback Friday today, went for the Hoshi Tombo again as it's frankly one of my favorite straights. My frameback rotation is a little small these days, I have one that needs honing but also needs some scale work first. Maybe I'll get to that this weekend if we get snowed in. I did get a little exercise this morning clearing the 3 inches we got overnight. Not much exercise, though. It was pretty fluffy. Although it was sticky too. We're supposed to get hit again Sunday and Monday so I need to see if I have any Pam spray for the shovel.

Where was I? Right. Shaving. Decided to use the Stirling Beeswax again. Vielong synth did the honors. Everything worked really well today. It's been really dry lately and lathers have suffered a little. I think the snow helped. Fatip Retro, new Feather, did the under-jaw cleanup and it was brilliant as always. Finished with Myrsol Limon because why not? It's spring, after all.

Ears are good today. Will probably cue up some good music tonight for the ride home assuming the roads clear and dry by then.
20240322_071046.jpg

Shave was very good. Not much to say. It was a little rushed, had to get downtown for an event. Danshaku did the heavy lifting, Fatip Retro and Feather (2) did the cleanup. MdC Rose and the Veg for the finish.

So, why did I have to run off on a Saturday morning? Well, the eldest was being honored by the state body that oversees high school activities and sports. They select 32 students for the Triple A Award. (Academics, Arts, Athletics). He was one of them. Of those 32, they choose 4 to get a $4k scholarship (he was not one of those four). I'm brimming with parental pride today. And thoroughly impressed by all the kids who were honored today.

The kids are alright, as they say.

Shave was very good. Not much to say. It was a little rushed, had to get downtown for an event. Danshaku did the heavy lifting, Fatip Retro and Feather (2) did the cleanup. MdC Rose and the Veg for the finish.

So, why did I have to run off on a Saturday morning? Well, the eldest was being honored by the state body that oversees high school activities and sports. They select 32 students for the Triple A Award. (Academics, Arts, Athletics). He was one of them. Of those 32, they choose 4 to get a $4k scholarship (he was not one of those four). I'm brimming with parental pride today. And thoroughly impressed by all the kids who were honored today.

The kids are alright, as they say.
Congrats. Having kids can be quite the joy!

Thank you, fellas.

This morning I used one of my favorite Heljestrands. It doesn't have a model stamp but it's identical to the MK 3 style. MdC Rose again, this time with the Vestavia silvertip. For once I loaded just enough... didn't have any leftover and actually had to stretch it a little for the final pass.

For the DE, after a successful showing with the RR Mentor the other day with a Feather, I decided to give it a chance with a Bic. That seemed to be ok on the side of my neck but when I got to the throat it was immediately apparent that it was a Bad Idea (tm). A little rougher, a lot more tuggy, and leaving a lot of stubble behind. Requested backup and the FOCS answered the call and I managed to finish up with no further drama. Finished with the Veg (of course).

Hope everyone has a great Sunday.
20240324_090643.jpg

We finally got a real snowfall overnight, first one of the season that was more than a couple inches of fluff. It rained a little overnight before turning back to snow, so I'm not sure what the actual accumulation was. What was on my driveway was about 6 inches of very dense, wet snow. But, the kids got the rare snowday, so I was able to approach it in a more relaxed manner, and still take the time for a decent shave after.

My Okina got the nod this morning, along with Agrumes for the suds. Just a lovely shave all around. DE was the Retro with a Feather, second run on that blade. Finished with Myrsol Limon. It may be snowy, but I'm thinking spring.

I left the house at the usual time but it started snowing really hard at that point, visibility went from meh to bad in about a minute. So I took the commuter rail...used to be my daily transportation but kid logistics meant that we needed a second car last year and I've been driving to work ever since. Was nice to just ride and not drive for once. Plus downtown Minneapolis is only minimally plowed at this point and that's always a nightmare. So what could have been a stressful morning ended up being quite calm.

Be well, all.
20240325_073927.jpg

Another wintry day here, it rained all night but then switched to snow at first light. Colder and windier and frankly the conditions are worse than yesterday, but no cancellations so I got to spend some quality time driving slow.

Shave was very nice, though. Rigarazor did all the heavy lifting and I swapped the barely used Bic from the Mentor experiment into the Retro. Didn't push for absolute BBS and as usual, a few hours later, my skin feels both smooth AND happy. This blade just plain works for me in this razor. Very nice.

Software was Proraso, both the soap and the splash.

Be well.

20240326_071344.jpg

Had my Henckels Friodur dialed up today. Realized about halfway through the shave that I didn't use my usual Proraso pre-shave. I can't always tell a difference but let me tell you, I slathered some on once I thought of it, and the shave went from decent to great. I guess I'll have to keep buying the stuff. Soap was MdC Rose, brush was STF.

DE was the Fatip/Bic combo. It was fine but I did find a spot I missed right on the jawbone when I rinsed off. Glad I caught it because it would have driven me crazy. Not sure how I missed it but that's why you double check, right?

Mrs. Scandalous saw the Indigo Girls last night with one of her girlfriends. Was my birthday present to her. Language is a funny thing, isn't it? Because if *I* try to go to a show with one of *my* girlfriends, everybody loses their mind. Oh well.
20240327_071853.jpg

Top Bottom